Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Pinkpanther, I've been waiting to see you on the board again. I sent you a PM about another issue.

Sorry all, about highjacking the discussion!

Prissy
    P
    P
    I've been out for spring break, and I didn't get online much all week. smile

I just PM'd you back.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    looking for the 'least-bad' fit is all that can be done.
    Grinity

Now that is something I think may guide me for awhile. I think I need to look past the comparisons to her sister. you know you shouldn't but it is hard not to... and the first child's behavior couldn't have been better.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    BTW - if she ceilinged out on verbal, then it probably doesn't make sence to say she is 'shy of highly gifted' as she ran out of test. Grinity

I guess I'm again stuck on comparing. her verbal was crazy rich but that processing speed was just a cut over the 130 mark. The remarks made abou the big sis stick out about how much schools like the see the processing speed. So here is my real fear... is it possible that her verbal is just so stinking strong because the way I've always talked to the kids and then how her sister talks to her. Is it stable - age aside as I know 5 is a better stability...

I just can't imagine sending her at 5.5 to learn what she knew at 2.5 but oh they are still so little. But I read some of your stories out there and think better to take our lumps now than in later grades. Plus, I fear some things I've read that one skip alone for dd6 might not be enough. i swear we'll find a way to make it work. famous last words i'm sure.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by kickball
    I guess I'm again stuck on comparing. her verbal was crazy rich but that processing speed was just a cut over the 130 mark. The remarks made abou the big sis stick out about how much schools like the see the processing speed. So here is my real fear... is it possible that her verbal is just so stinking strong because the way I've always talked to the kids and then how her sister talks to her. Is it stable - age aside as I know 5 is a better stability...

My DD9 is also highly verbal (140 on the WASI verbal--no full testing yet). Your DD sounds very similar to the way mine was at that age. I often wondered the same thing about my DD, but she has continued to be way above her grade-level peers. In fact, she told me last week that she sometimes feels isolated because M (gifted friend in class) is the only one who "gets it" when she's talking about things sometimes.

Chances are that yes, it's probably stable, and I would trust what your instincts are telling you about her.

Last edited by pinkpanther; 03/24/08 02:00 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM