Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    doodlebug #1289 11/17/06 05:20 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I finally got a hold of the OT we saw back when Mite was in kindergarten. She did NOT do SIPT. She gave me the name of 2 therapy places that do. I got a hold of them and have the wheels in motion to get in him in the next couple of weeks!! phew!

Then she told me she used "The Listening Program", not the Interactive Metronome. It was the Listening Program that made Mite so ill. She said it was the most violet reaction she had seen, apparently he also "shook" for several minutes prior to the vomitting and sudden migraine. I remember him being very agitated and emotional for several days afterwards. I was quite ill myself during that time and in and out of the hospital; so, I wasn't as in tune to him as I am now.

So.....now I need to look up more about Interactive Metronome and find out who uses it.

onward!!:^)

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1291 11/17/06 09:28 PM
    Yea!!!! I'm so glad to hear you are finding some direction! This is great news!

I have taken the class in "The Listening Program." It is different from Therapeutic Listening. The Listening Program is from a company called Advanced Brain Technologies (ABT) in Ogden Utah. It is a very structured program with not much opportunity for using clinical reasoning in choosing music. You just take the person through the 8 CDs (or maybe 6?) in a very straight-forward fashion. I had a child with autism do it and he did get pretty agitated at certain times. He did much better and responded favorably to Therapeutic Listening.

Therapeutic Listening is quite different, although based on the same theories of AIT (Guy Berard). With TL the therapist chooses specific modulated music based on the clinical presentation of the person. There is music that impacts different areas of function and the therapist has the freedom to choose music in any order as appropriate for the person.

I no longer use The Listening Program. I often use Therapeutic Listening BEFORE the Interactive Metronome program when a child shows a lot of auditory hypersensitivity. This is noted in the IM pre-test. As I said, TL is gentler and you can start with very "easy" music that is linear, little to no harmony, simplistic rhythmic patterns, etc. and then move on slowly to more complex music. But sometimes a child is just ready to start with the IM program. If you can find an OT who does both TL and IM that would be great!

I will be anxious to hear how the testing goes and what the therapist thinks about the dyspraxia. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will get some meaningful information that will help direct the school. I'm sure it will be helpful to you, too, in better understanding how Mite processes information.
    Keep me posted!!

doodlebug #1296 11/20/06 12:49 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    what's the "Brunix"? All these OTs say that should suffice.

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1297 11/20/06 02:36 PM
    The Bruininks-Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency (BOTMP).

This is a standardized test of motor skills. It assesses gross and fine motor performance. It will give you a percentile ranking for Gross Motor, Fine Motor and Full Composite scores. It is a test of motor performance, NOT of sensory integrative function. This test will do just fine if you want to know how his motor skills compare to other children. It does not assess dyspraxia. It does not identify underlying problems in sensory integrative function (ie: vestibular, proprioceptive and tactile function). It assesses performance. Period. It is certainly a useful test for some purposes. But I don't see that it is one that would serve you well. It will tell you if he has coordination problems, but it will not tell you why. Nor will it tell you where his strengths lie in sensory processing. So you won't get any information to help with treatment planning, intervention, strategies, etc. You'll just have a score that says he is/isn't as coordinated as other children.

Actually, some kids with dyspraxia have overlearned some of the tasks on the BOTMP and they actually look okay on that test, in spite of not being able to get on a swing they've never seen before. Or being scared to death of having their feet leave the ground.

doodlebug #1300 11/20/06 07:03 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Ok. I found, in my notes, the neuropsych. ot did that and that his scores varied quite a bit.

How much does the SIPT usually cost? Every OT I've talked to said most insurances will not cover it and they don't like to do it because it takes four hours and etc. I did find the one in WI who will do it. I'm waiting for the paper work but in the meantime I'm worried about the cost.

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1301 11/20/06 09:42 PM
    I sent you a message about cost, etc.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM