Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #1229 11/14/06 11:45 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Hey all!

These last couple of weeks have been crazy busy. I'm in a lull and I wanted to ask...

How do you parse out the needs from the intelligence? How do you use the intelligence to over-come the needs?

I think that is where I'm struggling the most in advocating for Mite. The teacher and sped folks just don't get how much the giftedness is part of the "problem"!! They don't know how to tap into it to help him.

and....well, I'm learning that I don't either. I feel like we are losing ground with Mite and its scaring me.

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1232 11/14/06 02:31 PM
    Hi Willa:
    I think that I might have some ideas, from an OT perspective, but I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. Can you be more specific or are you at a point where you aren't sure what the specifics are?! BTDT!

When I'm structuring supports for a child I see in OT I use their strengths all the time, to compensate for the difficulties. So a child who has poor verbal skills but responds to pictures might get visual cues like picture schedules or checklists. A child who is visually oriented but can't write a paragraph might get graphic organizers. A child who can't focus visually but has good tactile processing might get manipulatives for a certain task.

Is that the kind of stuff you are referring to? Like how to provide compensatory strategies that pull on his strengths?
    Debbie

doodlebug #1235 11/14/06 08:11 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    yup! That's what I'm thinking about. Mite comprehends at a high level (6th to 12th grade), but expresses himself in writing at about 2nd grade (although some measures have said 4th grade 9th month). His sped team is working with him at the disability level (2nd grade) and he's been expressing a lot of frustration with that the last few days. "Mom! I already KNOW about paragraphs and indenting and finger spacing between words. Why is she making me do all that over again?" His verbal spelling is excellent. His written spelling is below age level. He wants to use words like "imaginative" or "mismanaged" and "secluded" but they end up amjntif or missmanuj or seeklud. So, his verbal expression is years beyond his written expression.

His IEp is very needs based, but I feel if he is to move forward we need to make it strengths based. We just don't know how.

He wants to write so badly. This week he was supposed to write a letter to soldiers in Iraq. He tried to write it in cursive. It was pretty much illegible. His teacher told him the soldiers wouldn't be able to read it; so, she told him to print it. He was devastated. He told me "I worked on it so long" and "cursive is so beautiful" and "I want to write it in cursive like everyone else did" and "I want the soldiers to have something beautiful in all the ugliness around them". (yup. but he's not gifted, remember!!)

When we sat down to write it tonight he had an hour and twenty minute melt down. (ugh) That is soooo rare for him. He finally got down to copying his letter -- about 3 paragraphs -- and managed to get it to legible in an hour and forty-five minutes. That's where he wanted to use the words mismanaged, imaginative and secluded. He finally just gave up on all but imaginative.

He wants to write in cursive. He wants to express himself in writing. He wants to be like other kids. He has a huge vocabulary and extraordinary ability to express himself verbally. He's stuck. So, am I. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Aren't I asking the same questions over and over again on here? I feel so redundant and useless in this whole process.

I just can't figure out how to bring it together for him and the school just doesn't care.

ok....deep deep breath....ommmmmmm!!!

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1236 11/14/06 09:11 PM
    Well, I personally think that you just very clearly articulated the problem and should print off your response to me and present it to the teachers/sped team! That was a very clear and succinct example of how his disability limits him in regards to his strengths. Have you explained it that way to the teachers?

Here are suggestions I would have for the team if I were the OT on it:
    1) first you need to look at two approaches: remediation and compensation. Which are you doing? You need to decide as a team whether you are going to provide services that remediate the deficit areas or compensate for them. Or a combination of both. Since the parent and student are a vital part of the IEP team (see IDEA federal law) then your and Mite's preferences should be taken into consideration. Since he wants to write, then remediation should be part of the IEP, until such time that it can be proven that he won't make improvements or the Mite decides the process of writing just isn't worth it.

2)Remediation: I would look into Interactive Metronome. Have you tried Handwriting Without Tears? What about a pure SI based intervention - has he ever been assessed with the SIPT for sensory integration disorder? You might need to go privately for that one - most school based OTs don't use the SIPT (Sensory Integration and Praxis Tests) and don't/can't provide a pure SI based approach.

What spelling techniques or programs has the school tried? Slingerland and Orten-Gillingham are two names I know of, but not being a teacher I can't really say what the difference is or whether they would help Mite. But what do the examiners who have seen him say? Any recommendations there for specific interventions for improving spelling?

3)Compensation: you need to have Mite's buy-in. He needs to agree to use compensatory techniques AT TIMES in order to produce the work or end-product he desires. In the case of the letter, it would have been great for him to have a computer program such as Dragon Dictate. He could just dictate the letter and the program provides the spelling. It would give him the independence of not having a scribe write what he says. A low tech version of this would be for him to audio record his letter/writing and someone write it out later. At least that way Mite won't feel hampered by how fast/slow the scribe writes his words and he can just let his thoughts flow. And he won't feel like he is so unique - tell him doctors dictate all the time!

From what you say the hardest part must be that Mite is so acutely aware of his difficulties and so stifled by them, in terms of his abilities. But, the flip side of that is that with the right support and encouragement Mite is bright enough to understand how he can accomplish his goals, even if he never learns to write cursive. Eventually that goal won't be so important to him. He will move on and decide that he wants to PRODUCE not struggle with the process. My experience is that even children need to be allowed to work through that self-recognition process. It's a matter of coming to terms with one's own limitations and embracing one's own strengths. People with disabilities have to do this every day. And we all have disabilities to one degree or another. We are all hampered by relative weaknesses and demonstrate relative strengths. And we each need to learn how to make the most of our strengths. And deal with our weaknesses. Mite is just beginning down that road.

For kids, I always talk about how everyone is good at something, but no one is outstanding at everything. I'm sure that Mite could identify kids who can't do things that come easy to him. Maybe that would help him to see his own strengths. Another thought is to see if you have a Center for Independent Living around you somewhere. They are community based advocacy centers run by people with disabilities to serve people with disabilities. Most have a youth advocate on staff, but they all have people with disabilities who do peer counseling and community advocacy. The services are free. Perhaps that would be a place for Mite to meet other kids with LD or other disabilities, and some adults who have succeeded by accomodating for their LD or similar disability. Maybe then he would be able to focus on his own strengths.

Sorry, I got on a soapbox! Stepping down now! Hope this has helped.

doodlebug #1247 11/15/06 10:15 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks! I'm trying to contact ARC or the Center for Independent Living. They are taking their time in getting back for me.

I agree that Mite needs to decide whether he wants to put effort into the handwriting process or into the creative expression. I need to explain that to him a bit better than I have.

The IEP team at this point is neither remediating nor accomodating. Nor are they teaching compensatory skills. They have offered him some different styles of pens and grips. They provided a Franklin Spell checker for his use at school, but he has to check it in and out with the teacher; so, it isn't always readily available.

He did the Interactive Metronome 2 years ago and got violently ill with vomitting and a migraine (first migraine he ever had) at one of the sessions; so, the OT didn't want to progress with it. He also did 2 sessions of HWT (16 weeks total) with that OT and made no progress, even regressed. So, that wasn't an option. I have since bought it myself and thought we'd give it a try here at home. It seems like such a sensible program. I am going to approach the OT again and see if we can try the I.M. again.

Mite is very keenly aware of his differences and is intensely grieved over his dyspraxia. That anxiety is having a horrible impact on him. It's causing me great distress. We've seen him deteriorate from a happy-go-lucky, exuberant little boy to a withdrawn, serious and grieving little boy.

Well, I'm off to see if I can get ARC or the IL coordinator on the phone.

thanks for your response. it is very helpful.

Willa Gayle
    doodlebug #1249 11/15/06 11:22 AM
    WG -
    Be sure to tell Mite that when Aunt Trinity was a little girl she had ugly handwriting and terrible spelling and she felt so ashamed about it. Computers haddn't been invented yet, so all the adults spent a lot of time wringing their hands with worry. It made Aunt Trin very nervous. She though she was terrible at Language Arts - until she learned how to touch type, at age 12. Then all those thoughts in her head had a way to get out - and she's been very happy, and making other people happy ever since! Making stories is something that needs lots and lots of practice, but once Mite gets a little older, he will find ways to tell his stories, Aunt Trinity is completely certian.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #1250 11/15/06 11:35 AM
    Willa:
    Mite's response to the IM intervention tells me that there is something going on in the vestibular system. I often have to modify the IM program and use SI based techniques to "soften" the impact. But his response was most definitely the most significant response I've heard of to date. How old is he again (I'm sorry, so many kids on the boards, I know I've seen that somewhere before but can't remember).

If he is 9 or under, I would most definitely seek out an SI certified OT to administer the SIPT and identify or rule out a somatosensory basis for the dyspraxia. This could be present along with a higher level problem (ie: LD).

Have you heard of Therapuetic Listening? Sometimes this is where I start with kids, before moving to IM. Find info here:
    www.vitallinks.net

Does he exhibit movement based anxiety? Like fearful in large rooms or of his feet leaving the ground? He may have an otolithic dysfunction (vestibular function) that is contributing to his dyspraxia as well.

Are there any pediatric clinics in your area with SI OTs?

Grinity #1251 11/15/06 11:36 AM
    WillaGayle -
    Have you explored this website?
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/
    ((wink))
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    doodlebug #1254 11/15/06 12:48 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Mite is 8.

He expresses a lot of distress re: heights and movement. Just last night we were tossing a balloon back and forth and he said, "Gosh! I'm getting vertigo!"

When we are getting out of the van, he either grabs onto me or clings to the door post to get down. Going down large long staircases and hallways distress him, too. Forget escalators! Last year in India in an airport, he somehow got lost in the shuffle and stuck at the top of an escalator while the rest of the family made our way down. We were in a high security area and were not allowed to go back up. He screamed in terror. I felt so bad not being able to get back up to him. Finally someone grabbed and held him while he screamed and handed him to his dad. Ok...off I still get emotional thinking about his terror.

During the OT days, when he was 6, she would put him into a hammock-like swing. You could see his little knuckles poking through the cloth. He was clinging for dear life. He hated it. The whole process is very awkward. I'll call his old OT and see if she did a SIPT.

I have a friend telling me about a Therapeutic Listening and she says she has it to loan me. When she gives it to me, I'll post the details. I don't plan on using it unless I've had it okay'd through his old OT and his doc.

Which kinds of LD?

I'll look into the pediatric SI OT info.

I know I have a vestibular and proprioceptive based balance disorder and have been told I have dyspraxia, too. So, maybe this is all connected? Maybe Mite has it, too. I cannot stand being in large places. I tilt strangely and stumble about a lot in the best of situations. I don't drink alcohol, but have been acused of being tipsy many times.

ok....deep breath again....

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1255 11/15/06 12:54 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Trin-
    I'll share that story with Mite. Yup! Wrightslaw and I are well acquainted. Anything specific you want me to note?

Willa Gayle
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM