Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    She had subs in both classes today and said she will have both subs again tomorrow.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hmmm. Thank you for all that. This is not even close to the first exchange with the vp or the teachers. I have asked for a math skip to fifth grade and was told that it doesn't ever happen and won't. I had a meeting with both her teachers a month into school to tell them how dd was frustrated and needed more challenging work. I was told that my dd was properly placed and that all kids were expected to do the same homework because they correct in class together and it would be socially akward for some students to have other homework.
    At pt conferences I let the math teacher know that it was great that dd was able to test out of units, and making games instead of repeting work she already mastered was a great thing but that I would rather see her moving ahead. This request was not met which led to the dec meetin in which the vp agreed to talk to the enrichment teacher about giving the classroom teacher some things to do for moving foward in math and not just keeping busy. She is still stuck in forth grade math, doing the same homework every day as the rest of the class and almost the same classwork as well. Not very much differentiation at all and when there is a twist to the lesson for her, it really isn't far enough.

So I feel like I have discussed all I can discuss with this teacher who claims that it is against her policy to move kids beyond the forth grade curriculum. She is a very smart, organized and energetic teacher and I do believe she would do an excelwnt job of teaching harder material to some kids and not others.

The reading teacher is another story. I don't believe she knows anything about my dd. She has even callled her by the wrong name. She told me at conferences that dd was doing "fine" and she was glad she was in chess club because you have to plan ahead in chess and it's good for dd to do "hard" things. She also said that loves playing chess herself and is so happy to have dd in the class for when she forgets how a piece moves. I don't have a clue how to talk to this woman. My dd has her own blog, started teaching herself HTML, knows Photoshop better than most adults. When she had just turned two, she tried to play a video on the backyardigans site from an alternate browser. When it didn't play she exclaimed "this browser doesn't play these movies". We never told her about browsers. So, when LA teacher discourges her from making a PowerPoint presentation even though it was on of the prions given to all the children, obviously she knows nothing about her. She think dd will ask too many questions that she won't know how to answer. I honestly haven't really tried to get anywhere with this teacher. I don't understand her at all and when we talk it is like we are talking about a random kid, not mine. I asked her what dd should read since she is required to read at a lexile 1210 and the teacher just said that dd has already read soooo many books and gave no suggestions. She just said that most books at that level are inappropriate for her and left it at that.

So as u can see, I have no clue how to talk to her or even what to ask for. I just want her to care about my dd and her learning and her feelings. But you can't make someone care!

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I feel like I need to add that dd is a tall, pretty, pleasent, quiet, respectful and fun girl who raises her hand in class and does what she is told 100 percent of the time. She is well liked and easy to like. She is also easy to ignore as she never ever asks to have exceptions made fir her and will bend over backwards to not be a problem for someone. Ugh. I don't know why I had to add that. I just want o make sure I say what kind of person she is, not just that she is smart.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    So I Guess your suggestion to tell the vp that the teachers an I have tries tobwork together is only true for one of the teachers. I guess maybe I should try harder with the English teacher but it really is like we are speaking two languages. Hmmm.

My thumbs are very bad at typing.

Are you available to volunteer in the English classroom? Maybe you could offer to help to anyone who chose a computer-based project, like your DD? Are there any other things you can think of to help out in that class? Maybe the teacher is overwhelmed? Just brainstorming here...

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Makes a lot more sense thank you for being specific. I am a bit thick headed. I have tried this type of thing. The reason fir my dd to stay in ther class she was in was that she was getting some questions wrong once I. A while. This was before she was identified. I told her that i knew that dd has mastered those math concepts and believed that she was making mistakes because she wasn't reading the directions because she was used to being under challenged. She also informed me that she needed to make sure that her students do well on the ct state test. I told her I wasn't happy about all the concern about the test. She said that even though I didn't like it, it was the case. So I let it go. Later in the conversation I felt i had to remind her that my dd was in fact advanced and that she got only one wrong in the whole math section of the state test. She accused me of only using the test results to serve my purpose but ignoring the test when it serves her purpose. So, I dropped it.

The meeting was with the math and LA teacher - who let everyone know that even though dd was very smart she needed to learn to not skip steps for later in life when she takes higher level math like - like - ummmm. She couldn't name a level of higher math. Math teacher chimed in. ALGEBRA! Dd does not skip steps. The problem is that she doesn't even use steps. She somehow visualizes what happens somehow. Because she understand the concept so well she completely ignores the shortcut processes and figures them out inherent head. So, sometimes she makes a mistake. But it is not because she doesn't understand the concept. It is because the numbers given were not ment to do in your head and she did it that way anyway. It's actually amazing she gets most of them right! Anyway. I told her to stop making mistakes and she did. For over two months, she fit a perfect score on everything she toutched. All hundreds!

Anyway. I got way off track. I'm trying to illustrate that it doent seem like one of her teachers really thinks about anything before she says it! So, for the meeting with the vp, with advice I got on this forum, I brought dh. I told him his job was to ask WHY! I have such a hard time asking why. I can't figure it out. I just am scared to make them look bad I guess and I know there is no good reason and I don't like to embarass people.

So, I do agree with going as far as you can go with the teachers. I did go as far as I could with the math teacher. I did not cc her on the emails to the vp. Maybe I should have. I did go over her head but I was asking for fifth grade placement and her teacher had nothing to do with that.

I think I understand what you mean by including the teacher in the planning with principal. That way specific road blocks are addressed and reasons are documented and vp has something to work with and start from. Yes. I feel like all I do is complain and nothing happens. I think it is because I have no ideas. I just want them to do there job. I want them to appreciate her and help her thrive. There are so many stupid things to ask about. This SS project being the latest. I can't possibly keep up with all the stupid things that happen on a day to day basis. Today - she came home sooo thirst because at lunch it is a huge pain and waste if precious eating time to raise you hand to get a drink. Then she got hit in the head with a football. Noone cared. I know, not the teachers' fault. But sometimes all these small thing get ridiculous!

So I am supposed to email or contact the teachers tomorrow with my issues. Dd says Both teachers will be out tomorrow. I guess it is obvious that I want her to be working out of the fifth grade math book for the rest of the year and I want her to have fifth grade homework.

I do t know what to ask the LA teacher. Just to think and allow my kid some room to learn. So sorry about the rant and thank u so much fo the advice. My thumbs are very tired!

A
    A
    You clearly have a different conception of what "doing their Job" looks like than they do, so it would probably be very helpful to them and to you to communicate specific things that you want to see happen, so that there is agreement on what the plan is and how you will be able to assess whether it is being carried out and whether it is working.

• You want your DD subject-accelerated to fifth grade math for class work and homework. She needs to learn that she can't skip steps and use nothing but mental math in order to succeed in higher-level mathematics, so she needs to be regularly encountering problems that are sufficiently complex that she can't just look at them and know the answer so she can really develop this insight and habit. She is already scoring in the proficient range on the state standards, so there should not be an issue with advancing her instructional level, even if she does not get an official grade skip.

You will know that this is taking place because:
      You will see the graded 5th grade homework, tests, and assignments.
    • You want your DD to have access to an equitable level of classroom support, resources, and instruction. It is not fair to your dd to expect her to answer her own questions, be her own tech support, and supply her own materials for projects where other students have access to assistance with these types of things. She may be working at a different level than the other students, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't still need a teacher to teach her. (If it is really problematic for the teacher to have to provide her with adequate instruction in this class, then perhaps a grade skip is in order so that the teacher's time can be spent more efficiently and the classroom is not disrupted.)

You will know that this is happening because:
      You will see ______________ (Projects completed at school,dd reporting about questions she had that were answered, etc. - whatever you would take as evidence that this objective was being met.)
    • You want your dd to have access to reading and discussion with intellectual peers at her challenge level, as assessed by _____________ (with age-appropriate testing modifications.)

You will know that this is happening because:
      You will see her bringing home appropriately-leveled books and assignments, the teacher will communicate with you every ________ time period to update you on what dd is reading and what her progress is.
    • Whatever else you think is really lacking and impacting your dd's capacity to benefit from this classroom setting. (Food and water on a regular basis? Physical safety? Access to intellectual peers?)

Last edited by aculady; 02/10/12 12:21 AM. Reason: formatting
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Wow! You are wonderful! Bullet lists are a language I understand. I surprised you have been able to understand my embarassing thumb typing. Thank you for struggling through it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM