Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #122312 02/08/12 07:40 AM
    OP Offline
    My daughter, 14, took the ACT this year and did quite well. However, her reading score is fairly low. Her problem is that she reads very well, but will not skim.

Our response is to practice this summer so that this is higher during her tenth grade year. I am going to "try" to hire someone to coach her and let her know that she can skim. I tell her, but she thinks it is cheating.

We are also going to work tests from books and have her read more. (She has quit reading as much now that she has an I-phone.)

I am looking for suggestions for ACT prep books and other books to get her to read faster. Her English score was very high; reading score low.

Thanks.

A
    A
    Is the issue that she needs to skim, or that she needs to increase her reading speed? Increased reading speed is a useful college skill, particularly if you're planning a reading-intensive major. Skimming, particularly of material in an area where you aren't already an expert, is IMHO not a particularly useful skill - there are too many nuances you can miss.

Reading speed is relatively trainable, too.

J
    J
    You should also look on the chat site College Confidential. They will have alot of suggestions about what books are good for ACT, etc.

OP Offline
    By skimming, I mean not stopping to make sure one can pronounce a surname. This is a part of fluency and she has had this issue all along. Knowing what and what not to retain is important and she retains everything. She is a bit of a perfectionist and I believe this to be part of her problem (takes after her dad on this one).

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look there.

Last edited by Ellipses; 02/08/12 09:36 AM.
    OP Offline
    Great ideas on College Confidential. High scorers (34-36) had great suggestions. One is underlining key words in questions and underlining same words (while skimming) the text. Answer all general questions and come back to the theme or these types of questions.

H
    hip Offline
    H
    Sparknotes.com is a great site for ACT and SAT prep. Lots of good advice that I found applied well to the actual tests. It has practice tests too, I believe. Plus it's free.

OP Offline
    Thanks so much, hip. That looks great. 35 questions in 40 minutes. Yikes!

She wants to get into Colorado College, which needs a low score of 29, but wants over 30. Her father graduated from there so she is considered Legacy, but she still has to have the ACT score among other things. She is ranked #1 in her class for now so that helps.

Also, it is expensive so we are hoping for good (I mean great) scholarships.

A
    A
    How transferrable are the Explore scores to the actual ACT? DD16 took the Explore last year at school. She did well, does this mean she'll do as well on the ACT?

OP Offline
    Sorry, I don't know. I do know that the readind section on the ACT is much harder (shorter time, etc.) than the SAT.

A
    A
    Depending on how much practice she's had, getting a book of sample tests and just doing a bunch of them at home might help increase her reading score.

Also, it looks like Colorado College has a "choose your own adventure" method for standardized testing. She may not need a good reading score at all for admission: http://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/application/testing/policy/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM