Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    I'm looking at the reviews on amazon...is this just a book about getting an IEP? THey don't do gifted IEPs in our district and we don't know if Butter has any disability yet. ADHD alone isn't enough to get an IEP in our district and OT isn't a stand alone service...is there more to this book than the reviews say?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    A
    A
    The principles that this book teaches about how to approach meetings with school officials and teachers, documentation, communication, and advocacy can be applied to any situation where you need to deal with schools to get what you need for your child. There may be a lot of specific examples in the text that don't apply directly to your situation, but learning the underlying approach and techniques is likely to be incredibly helpful.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    I'm looking at the reviews on amazon...is this just a book about getting an IEP? THey don't do gifted IEPs in our district and we don't know if Butter has any disability yet. ADHD alone isn't enough to get an IEP in our district and OT isn't a stand alone service...is there more to this book than the reviews say?
    Get the book. Dang what is wrong with me--can't make the right smilie work...
    edited to add: oops, meant to post more--aculady summed it up well up above. It would be useful for your situation. You are creating a paper trail that makes it likely that if you end up before a judge one day she will see what a reasonable parent you are who is merely looking for an appropriate education for your child. And in the process of creating a paper trail it becomes clear to the school what you are doing, and hopefully they will have the sense to realize it is better to work with you now than to be forced to later.

Last edited by deacongirl; 02/05/12 07:29 PM.
    OP Offline
    omg...justshootmenow...

Butter just told me that, on the computer program they use on the classroom day, she is actually on the fourth grade math...we also have a perfect score on last year's state testing in Language Arts. What the HECK else do these people WANT?!?!?

I don't think we would ever be before a judge. I would just continue to homeschool her until she could get to college, lol!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    S
    S
    My dear I so wish there was a way dear Butter could join us at Mr B's little school. The first thing they did was start giving him end of year standard tests. He's tested out of LA in 3, 4 & 5. He's doing LA with the 6 & 9 graders. Seminar level work. I am so sorry that they are not allowing a skip on paper but are doing it in practice. Have I mentioned that I LOVE his school?

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM