Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    We've never done testing on DD11 other than the school administered group tests required for admission to gt and state standardized tests. DD has been fine in the gt class with the exception of the pace in math being a little slow for her. DD's gifted program administers the Explore test to all 6th graders. We got her results back and they are all DYS level. DD has no idea how high her scores really are just that that she scored in the 99th percentile for 8th graders -- that's really good, right mom?

This is the only place I can say this without people thinking I totally wacko. First of all, I know that this is only one test but it is not the first indication we've had that she's a little out there. Still, I'm finding that I have mixed feelings about her results. I guess I was holding out for just a MG really high achiever. Yes, I'm happy that she performed well and this indicates that she probably has the smarts to do what she wants to do if she applies herself. I think I knew that already anyway. I'm just struggling with my own baggage and knowing how many extra challenges lie before her. Has anyone else felt this way?

R
    R
    I have been a silent reader on this forum for the past couple of weeks. Your post made me finally register here.
    Your post mirrors my predicament. My DS9 score 99% on his ITBS testing. Got the results couple of weeks ago. His AG teacher said the problems he has been having in class was probably because he is bored. I have been getting reports since last year that he takes too long to finish his tasks and doe not pay attention in class. I just attributed it to laziness.
    Now I am wondering if I need to get him tested privately since the school will not do any more testing. Based on his CoGAT and ITBS they have already classified him as very strong in Reading and Math.
    I hope to do enough to nurture his ability so he is not bored out of his mind at school.But I am not sure what exactly that is.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by knute974
    First of all, I know that this is only one test but it is not the first indication we've had that she's a little out there. Still, I'm finding that I have mixed feelings about her results. I guess I was holding out for just a MG really high achiever. Yes, I'm happy that she performed well and this indicates that she probably has the smarts to do what she wants to do if she applies herself. I think I knew that already anyway. I'm just struggling with my own baggage and knowing how many extra challenges lie before her. Has anyone else felt this way?

Yes. Very similar feelings here based on last year's Explore results. Dd11 took the WISC last Saturday and I am driving myself crazy waiting for the results. She doesn't appear to have any LDs, and from what the psych said she will certainly qualify for gifted services at her new school. So why do I care so much about the LOG? Either I have been guilty of totally underestimating her, and am going to have to be "that parent" (which if my kid needs it I really don't care about being "that parent" and I figure it would be good practice for dd4 who is more complicated) or she is a MG high achiever and it won't be that difficult to meet her needs in the regular gifted program...yes I guess the baggage thing is an issue fo me too. She is the same fabulous kid no matter what--but I will be glad to at least have more of an indication of just what we are dealing with. So, ummm...yes, mixed feelings all around.

Why are you worried about her having extra challenges? Sounds like she has already adapted to the challenges that drive DYS kids batty. Are you worried that she has needed more, or worried that she should do more?

DeHe

K
    K
    I completely understand, although we are still in the early stages of figuring out DS (age 3 years 11 months). We are planning on doing some brief tests (KBIT & KTEA-II-Brief form) when he turns 4, but I can't quite get myself to make the phone call to set up the test. Right now I'm happy thinking "he just picks up on things quickly" instead of having a label.

Cognitively, I know that it'll be good to have some information. It will allow him to participate in enrichment weekend programs/summer camps that will introduce him to kids who are cognitively similar, and will provide some "data" for advocating for accommodations when he starts kindergarten. Emotionally, I'm hesitant to see numbers on paper. Like Deacongirl said, he's going to be the same fun, curious, active kid, but I'll have information that will let us know if minor accommodations within the classroom will be enough, or if we need to steel ourselves for battle with the school district.

And, of course, this isn't an issue I feel like I can discuss with anyone other than DH or this board! Many people will interpret it as complaining about being "too rich" or "too thin."

More intelligence is better, and high achievement means you're doing something right. Be happy.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    More intelligence is better, and high achievement means you're doing something right. Be happy.

Ditto! It sounds like your dd is doing really well in her GT class - scoring high on the Explore, or scoring off the charts on an IQ test, or whatever, doesn't mean you are absolutely going to face extra challenges. When you mentioned your own baggage, is there something from your own childhood you worry may happen to your dd, or are you just worried in general that EG/PG kids will have a tough time?

polarbear

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Kathie_K
    Emotionally, I'm hesitant to see numbers on paper. Like Deacongirl said, he's going to be the same fun, curious, active kid, but I'll have information that will let us know if minor accommodations within the classroom will be enough, or if we need to steel ourselves for battle with the school district.

I wouldn't be so sure that the numbers are going to tell you this. I think the personality of the child has at least as much to do with what kind of placement they will need as the objective IQ data does. There are plenty of MG kids who wilt or rebel in an ordinary classroom, and some HG and PG kids who are content just to do what is asked of them in class and then pursue their passions and find their friends elsewhere.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Kathie_K
    Like Deacongirl said, he's going to be the same fun, curious, active kid, but I'll have information that will let us know if minor accommodations within the classroom will be enough, or if we need to steel ourselves for battle with the school district.

Even if it might sometimes feel like a "battle," my advice is to try not to think of it that way. Go into those conversations in the spirit of 'hm, there's a need here, how shall we meet it?' and expect the same of school folks as long as possible.

Even those people who seem like roadblocks-- if you persist calmly, sometimes they can be turned into allies. Not always, but sometimes. When possible, this is the best route to long-term success in these negotiations...

BTDT,
    DeeDee

Is Dd happy?
    Does she have friends that she can be herself with?
    Is DD willing to try new thinks that she won't excell at right away?
    Does Dd show self destructive perfectionnistic behaviors?

If none of the above are a problem then maybe the school will use the info wisely and fast up the Math. You can ask for a little tweak with solid test results without turning into a giant pain.

I guess you could ask the school to do a WISC ...they might say yes. You can search around for a test score without having to pay for a lot of interpretation. Apply to DYS if the score come back in range.

Very little has changed......
    Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM