Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #1219 11/10/06 01:17 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Does anyone know how programs like ALEKS and EPGY compare to the Accelerated Math program? Accelerated Math is what our school uses and I'm wondering if something like ALEKS would be better.

Thanks.

Galaxy Girl #1224 11/13/06 08:53 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Our schools use accelerated math, too, and I think it is OK, but lacking. At least it allows them to progress quickly if they already have mastered skills instead of endless repetition. However, I find that teachers can use it as a crutch and an excuse not to have to "teach" math. My kids seem to need human interaction to learn best. Also, according to my kids who have used accelerated math for up to 5 years now, one can navigate through the multiple choice format easily, without having to actually do the problems or understand the topics. This has been a serious problem with usually accelerated math exclusively as your math program.

My oldest son in middle school says he has learned nothing in math in the past 2 years (the school relies on accelerated math for advanced math students). Finally he was tired of "going through the motions" and he asked me if he could take an EPGY course. We're in month 3 of his first course, which is very challenging to him (something new for him). The process and technology were somewhat challenging to me, but now we've got it down. I recommend it IF your child is motivated (my son has to work after school and give up his highly-valued free time, but he's pretty committed). I still work with him on difficult topics because the human interaction can shortcut what would take him much longer to understand if relying only on himself.

Last year I went to the district gifted dept head and told them that my 7 yr old son what not learning much with just accelerated math. I told them he was a Davidson Institute Young Scholar and that DITD recommended ALEKS & EPGY. EPGY was too expensive for them to consider, but they were responsive to ALEKS and very quickly purchased it for his class (kudos to DITD influence!). The class loves it. It it more interactive than accelerated math and gives them feedback (pie charts showing skills still needed v. those mastered), worksheets to help develop skills (and encourage teacher interaction when there are questions), and still allows them to progress quickly. They are all working at lower levels than their accelerated math level (for instance, my son is in 7th grade accelerated math, but only 6th grade ALEKS) which I think reflects that ALEKS is more difficult. ALEKS is affordable, while EPGY is probably too high for most public schools. I've been trying to get our middle school to evaluate it for use, but haven't gotten far.

cym #1226 11/13/06 10:24 AM
    My daughter's school just purchased Aleks last week based on my recommendation. The kids are supposed to start today:-)
    I am not familiar with Accelerated Math, but know for sure that Aleks does not use multiple choice format. Student has to calculate answers in his/her head or on paper and then type them in.
    You can try Aleks for free x 48 hours. Go to www.aleks.com.
    EPGY sounds great, a little pricey though.
    Ania

Dottie #1238 11/15/06 07:51 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize ALEKS started at 3rd grade level--sounds like it might be too advanced for DD5 right now. She just started doing Accelerated Math at school last week--scored 89% on her first work, which was at 2nd grade level. But it sounds like AM is much easier than ALEKS, and a whole different type of system with the multiple choice format.

I think I'll have DS7, who is in 3rd grade, check out ALEKS with the free trial and see how it goes for him.

Ania, that is great that your school got ALEKS on your recommendation!

Galaxy Girl #1241 11/15/06 08:06 AM
    Good luck with Aleks, GG. My DS loves the Pie Chart they give at the end of the tests.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #1266 11/15/06 08:10 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Well, who doesn't love pie!? :-)

Galaxy Girl #1292 11/17/06 09:38 PM
    Question on ALEKS:

I set up the trial program for my son, 5y 7m old. He actually managed to answer some questions in the addition/subtraction and fractions sections of the pie on the Math 3!!!! I was shocked. So the program was able to generate a starting place for him - with learning in a couple of the pie sections.

Now, I was setting this up this evening, not really knowing what I was going to get and he did the assessment with me willingly, even eagerly. But when I tried to get him to do the practice/learning part he balked and decided it was "boring" and he wanted to go back to building with legos.

Any suggestions on how to get him to sit with me and actually learn something?! I'd really like to see if he could get going with it. Maybe he could use it at school! I've noticed lately that he pretty much balks at anything that isn't easy for him. This bothers my husband and I. I think his anxiety and perfectionism keep him from learning how to learn. Does that make sense? He just seems like he doesn't want to think. And he prefers to read the workbooks himself and "figure it out" rather then have me show him what to do. So how do I engage him in a program like ALEKS?

Dottie #1294 11/20/06 11:01 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Dottie (and all),

Now I'm very curious--what were you going to talk to me about?
    You've go my ear.

Cym

Dottie #1295 11/20/06 11:08 AM
    See if they would let him do at school, say 10 minutes a day.
    Ania

Ania #1298 11/20/06 02:41 PM
    I tried to get him to sit with me and look at the practice stuff over the weekend. No luck. But I did get him to sit and listen long enough to learn more about place value and carrying for addition. When it started to click I could the "ah-ah" going on and his eyes got all bright - it was the spark that was missing. He says again that he doesn't want to do "that easy math homework." But doesn't want to think either! Maybe at school would be good. I'm going to try again at home though. I'd prefer to see him more motivated and independent in navigating the program before I ask the school. Thanks for the input.

Dottie, you hit it right about the frustration. He just hates it when something doesn't come instantly and won't hardly spend 10 minutes on thinking unless HE initiates it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM