Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 181 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 135 of 263 < 1 2 ... 133 134 135 136 137 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #121419 - 01/30/12 05:02 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

Hi everyone! Long time, no see!

DD is in a much better place this year, but I credit our awareness and our advocacy efforts in heading off many of the problems that school otherwise seems to be determined to shove her direction... anyway. I digress.

DD, 12, polished off both 10th and 11th grade honors English with a great deal of aplomb and relish. Her 11th grade English teacher announced to her (and me) that one of her writing assignments was "the best she'd ever seen" for the assignment and read it to her typically-aged classmates as a stellar example of innovative and masterful descriptive writing!!

Her algebra II teacher also told me privately that she's at the 95th percentile (and stays there) in that class, too.

Her high school GPA is at 4.4 for fall term, and her cumulative GPA is 4.2 (because of weighting for honors coursework and AP).

We've also really tackled perfectionism issues this year and have a MUCH better handle on those things now; DD is in a much healthier, better place overall. smile Of course, life with a mouthy, quick-witted adolescent girl is far from perfect. We occasionally tell "Katie" (as in Katie Ka-Boom) to "go home now." LOL. But it is so much better than a year ago.

#121438 - 01/30/12 08:58 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    BWBShari Offline

Loc: NM
    That's awesome Howler! Gives the rest of us hope....

#121443 - 01/31/12 05:41 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    DeHe Offline

That's great to hear HK, and welcome back!

DeHe

#121444 - 01/31/12 05:58 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    Thank you for sharing Howler.. it gives me hope!

#121446 - 01/31/12 06:19 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    ColinsMum Offline

Loc: Scotland
    Wow, HowlerMonkey, that's a bit of a contrast with how things were going last time I remember a long post from you! That's fantastic. Long may it continue.

#121449 - 01/31/12 07:47 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    passthepotatoes Offline

Great new Howler. What's next - early college?

#121497 - 01/31/12 01:08 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

Yes-- we think that we *might* be able to eke out a high school diploma with the current school, but probably only if they are willing to consider full-time dual enrollment after next year, and maybe sooner.

That would put her into the local community college when she's 13, but I really think she's close to being ready. She's had some reassurance this year that being 12 and a high school junior isn't THAT obvious, and that her behavior and maturity are still in the normal range with her academic peers at this point (regular GT 10th-12th graders).

College seems intimidating to her, but I think that she'll find that she's grown up a lot since she was 7 and 8 and tagging along with me in the labs and meetings with grad students and faculty. Her peers wouldn't be 23-26yo grad students, which I'm not sure she 'sees' yet.

Next step is a side-by-side class in a soft discipline like art, history or foreign language so that she can see that she'll be more than able to hold her own and not stand out too much.

It was really amazing how her mental health issues VANISHED within 72 hours of school ending last spring. Watching that happen made DH and I realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with our DD other than a vastly inappropriate academic placement that inists on treating our lovely cheetah (and all of the other cheetahs) like a very capable sheepdog.

#121530 - 01/31/12 04:43 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    herenow Offline

Loc: on the learning curve
    Hey, Howler, what a great update. Looks like you've found a great educational fit for your daughter. Nice to see you here again.

#121548 - 01/31/12 07:55 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    passthepotatoes Offline

Originally Posted By: HowlerKarma

It was really amazing how her mental health issues VANISHED within 72 hours of school ending last spring. Watching that happen made DH and I realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with our DD other than a vastly inappropriate academic placement that inists on treating our lovely cheetah (and all of the other cheetahs) like a very capable sheepdog.

Bad school situations can really trash a kid's life. It is hard to really see in the middle of it.

Glad everything is looking up!

#121736 - 02/02/12 12:29 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HelloBaby Offline

More cute that brag...

DD4mo was in a Bumbo seat playing with a toy, and she dropped it on the floor. It was funny to see how determined she was to get the toy from the floor.

I am sure it won't be funny when she is determined not to listen to me when she gets older.

Page 135 of 263 < 1 2 ... 133 134 135 136 137 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum