Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I was hoping for recommendations on which math workbook would make sense for DS7, who is doing regular 2nd grade math in school (where they only allow differentiation, not acceleration) and doing third grade CTY/EPGY math at home. He does not like to write, and tries to do everything in his head. He loves the computer for that reason (although they make him write out the tests). Makes me think he needs practice written problems.

Is there a general math book you recommend for practice? Should I just go with Singapore Challenging 3A word problems? Not sure he'll like that. Everyone talks about the Art of Problem Solving, but that's years ahead of him. Or should we just play with Math Trek and/or Penrose the Cat? He loves those books. He learns best when he doesn't know he's learning. Fun is good. Ideally, I'd love to have something which makes him want to figure out the solutions which he can only do by figuring things out on paper.

Questions - I don't know the answer, but here is what I do know:-)
    I purchased Singapore 5 A and B for DD in fifth grade accelerated in math to 6th. The book was too easy. I should have gotten challenge problems. I have heard however, that starting from 7th grade, all the challenge and word problems are already built into the original text.
    Best way to go would be to find someone who is using the books in you area and have a good look at them.

I think the Singapore "Intensive Practice" worbook would be what I'd recommend. Someone (Texas Summer, I think, with my apologies if I'm not giving credit where it's due!) talked about the two-prong math approach: critical thinking and "tools" (arithmetical skills, checking work, etc.) That's been useful for me to think about what my DS needs, so I'll use it here to explain why I think "IP" is better for your DS's needs.

"Intensive Practice" is big on the critical thinking, and the problems are really tough in that respect. You have to have the "tools," too, but the critical thinking stuff is really challenging. Far more than the "Challenging Word Problems" books, I think. It's more puzzle-type stuff, brain-teasers, like you might do for fun. It seems like it's right up your DS's alley!

I can't speak to the other resources you're considering, but I'd say "IP" would be better for your purposes than "CWP" if you're thinking Singapore Math...

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you, Ania. Ideally, I'd like problems that are like puzzles, where he really has to think, which just so happen to require calculations, rather than word problems that are all about calculations. Since he's not being challenged in school, I'd like something that is challenging for him (i.e., appears at first glance to be hard, but not beyond his abilities), so that he learns how to approach problems that appear too difficult for him. (His refrain has always been - that's too hard, I can't do it - oh, that was easy. I'd like to get it to, wow, this looks tough. Let me see if I can do it.) I'm looking for attitude adjustment/confidence building as much as practice.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Kriston, I was typing while you were posting. I had bought IP 2A, but we never used it. As you see above, I am looking for puzzle type work, so maybe the thing to do is to get IP3A, which looking at the placement exam is probably where he is. Thank you!

Hmmm... Why didn't you use the 2A? If you didn't like 2A, you probably won't like 3A: second verse, same as the first...

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Didn't use 2A b/c we ended up doing CTY, and DS prefers the computer to workbooks. Having just spent half an hour on the Singapore site, I realize that their books are no different from the computer course, so we'll stick with the computer course. And go the Math Trek/Penrose route, which are fun for him, hands-on, and do require some writing or drawing.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

No sweat! It's my speciality! grin

I just hope you've got something that works for you. That's what counts.

Kriston
    If you are looking for a problem book I like the Zaccaro book, Primary Grade challenge Math (they should pay me for all advertisement I do smile

I have only seen samples from the Math Detective books, but it could be what you are looking for
    http://www.criticalthinking.com/get...ction_to_display=product_sample_page.jsp

They also have a computer version.

LMom
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, LMom! I don't think my DS is ready for Math Detective yet, it's grade 3-4. But Zaccaro looks good. I'm looking for practice that's fun, and that reinforces his basic math skills. I can see that he hasn't committed a lot of basic math to long term memory yet. (the concept of long and short term memory discussed in that NY Times article really helped me understand the issue). I think I will order this one. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM