Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
    DeHe #118898 12/27/11 11:43 AM
    I would let him plow ahead. I don't believe in limiting a fast learner to try to make him like the slower kids-- I think it can do much more harm than good.

Where we went, or continued to go, at the end of second grade math:

Singapore Math 3A and up, plus Challenging Word Problems / Intensive Practice
    Mathematics Enhancement Programme
    Sunshine Math
    Ed Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math
    Raymond Smullyan
    Building Thinking Skills
    IXL (rarely used now if ever, but excellent for fun practice; can be subscribed to on the cheap through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op)
    ALEKS (just signed up-- there's a sale on until the end of 2011)

... plus assorted games.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    DeHe #118901 12/27/11 01:07 PM
    There is always the AMC 8 and 10 to shoot for rather than worry about age peers.

http://amc.maa.org/amc8/2011/stats/2011-amc8stats.shtml

G
    G
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    We have officially completed singapore 2a! We completed it in 3 months. ds scored 100% on the end test. We will start 2b next week. Anyone else at this point? Where are you going next? I think after 2b we need to find something else as I don't want him to be too far ahead. I was thinking of Hands On Equations as he thinks it fun but again, its going to pull him even farther ahead of his classmates.

{I'm at the same stage of winging it with a kid throwing us for a similar loop.}

This is wild. It looks like our kids are within days of each other in age, and at nearly identical stages in math.

Are you working with him on the math, or is he working through it on his own? If he's getting up at 4:20 am to sneak an hour of math book time, then I'd keep at what he's already drawn towards, maybe making some more logic-type problems available. If you guys are bringing it out together, or that he needs some direction with it, then I might change direction. I think that lucounu is probably right that you can't limit his learning, but you could shift his focus to other skills that he will need to develop to reach his full potential in mathematics.

We don't do any focused instruction for DS -- we simply don't have time. I kinda wish I could at this point, but it's not in the cards for a child with a 7pm bedtime. DS will work on the math book on his own, occasionally asking for help here and there. We have brought out Set, Mastermind, Chess, Checkers, Q-bitz, Qwirkle, Izzi and other similar logic-type games to work on these logic skills. He'll need them soon enough, and we have fun doing it.

If you are sitting down with him on a regular basis, can you push the reading more? It sounds like his reading is lagging relative to the sky-high math. Reading word problems is difficult if you have a limited reading vocabulary. When DS passed through the early 2nd grade level mark in reading level, all of a sudden he could do the word problems and follow the examples in his Singapore book to progress independently.

Last edited by geofizz; 12/27/11 03:56 PM.
    DeHe #118913 12/27/11 04:16 PM
    F
    F
    Geofizz, I just responded to your pm!

He sits down to do his homework when dd8 does her homework. He is able to read the word problems by himself. I actually think this has helped improve his reading. The only help I give him is explaining something new. I have been trying to build his confidence as well. He always asks "is this right momma?". We also worked through the word problem book, at first together, to assist his reading.

As for games, he loves checkers and connect four for logic type games. His ultimate favorite board game is monopoly (go figure it involves money and numbers)

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 12/27/11 04:17 PM.
    DeHe #118917 12/27/11 05:04 PM
    J
    J
    That reminds me geofizz that Set is a wonderful game. Buy the boardgame, cards or solve the daily puzzle on the New York Times' website. There are lots of other mathy card games. One of my girls' favourites is numero. Kids typically start playing at grade 2 (about 6-7 ish) but the interschool numero competition my eldest entered was targeted at year 7s (about 12 ish). There are lots of fun math games to be had with a normal set of cards - have you played 'make 10' (fabulous for number partners) or perhaps 'sideways snap'?

jojo

DeHe #121462 01/31/12 11:21 AM
    F
    F
    And we enter the second half of the year! How is it going???

We have a meeting this afternoon with the principal, the gifted teacher and his current teacher. We will be reviewing his WISC and WIAT results as well as MAP tests. I hopefully will come out of the meeting with a plan for the remainder of this year and the start of a plan for next year. His reading took a huge jump over the last month. He went from guided reading level 'f' at the beginning of the month to level 'h'. At home, he is easily reading level 'k' and 'l' books with no problem. Perhaps we need another jump. He still isn't picking up a book just to read. I think I may have to look at the library for some interest books.. the solar system or maps. I think maybe a bit about the human body too as he has been asking a lot of questions of late about my rather large scar and my blood sugars.

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 01/31/12 11:22 AM.
    G
    G
    Good luck with the meeting today!

DS's intervention meeting is next week. I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with his kindergarten teacher. The teacher will be at the intervention meeting, of course, so I'm trying to figure out ways to compel discussion of how little she's doing for him. He's disaffected about school -- no wonder, he's just counting every day for math, and reading the exact same set of books every day during reading. Meanwhile, the "enrichment" computer program they gave him to replace his math time has school has been exhausted. Not because he's doing it at school (he's used it once ... ever ... in kindergarten), but because he's completed it at home. Comparing to the common core, this took him 2/3 of the way through 3rd grade math standards.

I fear what will happen when they put him in the next level up of this program. Will he be more out of sync with the grade levels? At some point, you have to slot him back into the classroom.

Getting him into a classroom now (2nd grade seems like the right level) means having to move him to afternoon kindergarten. It would mean a lot of transitions, including a different kindergarten teacher. Our school, however, is loathe to make that kind of change for fear of social implications and the tidal wave effect of parents beating down the door asking for the same.

DeHe #121503 01/31/12 02:43 PM
    D
    D
    I doubt there will be a tidal wave of parents wanting their kids to do grade 2 math. More likely, a tidal wave of parents to tell you you're crazy.

The teacher move-with-2nd-grade-math-placement seems good, if he'd be up for a change (sounds like he would). Can you ask that they test him into it?

DeeDee

DeeDee #121528 01/31/12 05:20 PM
    G
    G
    He already has, and the scores are recorded on his report card. Is that sufficient? It gives him more instructional time than other kindergarteners.

Shiela, I'm looking forward to hearing how yur meeting went.

DeHe #121541 01/31/12 07:00 PM
    I'm pretty new to the forums here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. DS6 is in kindy at a STEM charter school. He is a Nov birthday and we chose to go to the STEM school even though it doesn't have a real gifted 'program' and doesn't have an early entry option. We made the decision hoping that they would be more able to offer differentiation and hopefully would be more open to the available research on gifted education.

So far, we have been quite pleased. His teacher was very receptive to listening about his differences before the school year started and made extraordinary efforts to differentiate for him in her classroom. When it became obvious to her that she could not differentiate enough within her class she talked to the director of the school and set up a dual subject acceleration in both Math and Reading to 2nd grade. He enjoys the skip and is quite confident around the 2nd grade kids despite being 2 years younger. He still does his other subjects in kindy and has good friends in both grades. His favorite class in Chinese.

Recently (over the last few days) he has been telling us that next year he wants to skip 1st grade and go to 2nd while skipping to 3rd or 4th for Math and Reading. For now we're just going to keep going and see how things work out. We definitely feel like we made the right decision for the little guy.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM