Originally Posted by Tsimmers
I know that he has perfectionist issues - but is it really as big a deal as I originally thought?

As I re-think and re-analyze everything, I'm thinking that I may be remembering back a year or two ago when we really did have problems with him trying new things and him never feeling like he did anything right...I'm realizing that while he still expects so much from himself, that he doesn't have quite the extreme reaction as he used to.

I would say that as long as he is heading in a less perfectionistict, less 'I'll do anything to avoid risking my internal self-description as a kid who can do everything easily and wll' and less emotional when you make those occasional pushes then you are on the right track.

As DS4 gets a bit older he will be very valuable to DS6, and perhaps a better 'peer' than many agemates. Good for you for having a 'home gifted cluster!'

Glad to hear you DS6 isn't crying on the way to school every day.

Part of the reason our thoughts get all balled up in our heads is that there are probably very few people locally that you can share your concerns with and that tends to jumble up the thinking - we tend to spend way too much time in our heads anyway! I think we are a great bunch for giving thoughtful feedback, which you are free to agree or disagree with - but it's better than having no feedback and the thoughts just going 'round and round' inside your head.

I remember when my son, aged 3 was showing no ability to read even the simplest and most seen words. I tried venting about it but everyone looked at me as if I had gone mad. DS had been able to identify all the letters and all the letter sounds for a full year, and wanted to read, but couldn't. I felt so alone with my concerns and wish this group had existed back then!

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com