Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    1st grader went through phases this year of reading A to Z mysteries, Magic Tree House and Beast Quest books. His passion right now is Greek mythology thanks to the Percy Jackson series. He read all 5 of those, Rick Riordan's The Lost Hero (same author) and is now reading The Red Pyramid.

so, after my DD finished reading all the Percy Jackson books, apparently she told some friends that God was "boring" and we should go back to worshipping the Greek Gods, as they are soooo much more interesting! lol!

I just let my kids read pretty much anything they can get their hands on. DD8 has more DH's taste for sci-fi and fantasy. She isn't interested in my old copies of Little House, Ramona, etc. I say just put a good assortment of things out or visit the library often.

I was usually allowed to go to the library unattended and spent MANY peacful and wonderful hours there, absorbed in stories. I started getting the "are you sure you're in the right section?" pretty early, but there's SO MUCH good stuff about how to make and do and discover in the "adult" section!

Also, if your child is a "tinker", you know, the kind who likes to collect and make contraptions, etc, a set of craft books and the DK books about how things work, with the cutaway views are just awesome, imo.

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    DD6 just gloated to me yesterday that she was able to devour an entire chapter book in two days. It was Captain Underpants.

Our nighttime reading right now is the Harry Potter series. We just finished Chamber of Secrets. Early in the series I had encouraged her to try reading some of it alone when she was having trouble trying to sleep, and she was frustrated that she hadn't made any progress whatsoever. Just a few nights ago I was late getting in for bedtime, she had read ahead a couple of pages already, and she was able to fill me in on what I'd missed. What a difference a few weeks makes, eh?

Now we've got Prisoner of Azkaban reserved for when it becomes available in the library, and in the meantime we're revisiting the Berenstain Bears books, because she still loves them, and hey, not everything needs to be a challenge. More importantly, she doesn't want to be in the middle of another chapter book when PoA becomes available.

M
    M
    DS4.5 is still obsessed with Zac Power books. He is also readinga Horrible Science book and has a coupld of Geronimo Stilton books he wants to start.

J
    J
    The Magic Treehouse series. My older boy read all 46 of them at this age, and his little brother has been WAITING to do it too! His brother has moved on to Enclopedia Brown.

D
    D
    We just started Encyclopedia Brown too.

DS liked the "Tales from the Odyssey" series by the same author as Magic Treehouse.

S
    S
    My 6 year old just finished Fudge a Mania and is going to read Fantasic Mr Fox and Danny, the champion of the world next. Probably I'll start reading to him Mr Fox tonight and next thing I'll know he will have finished the book on me on his own.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    DD6 decided she wanted to explore the adult section of the public library, and she came home with three selections. She's currently burying her nose in the novel that inspired the movie, "Marley and Me."

Connor is in K but in 2nd for Reading. Right now he has been reading Encyclopedia Brown. We are also reading HP for bedtime. We are in the middle of Chamber of Secrets right now. I have been mostly reading that one to him but, like Dude, I found Connor sitting on the couch with the book last week. When I asked him what he was doing he just looked at me like DUH! and answered, "Ummm...reading Harry Potter..." and sure enough, that's what he was doing smile

vwmommy, he might like the old "Three Investigators" series of books too.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Thanks lucounu. I'll look into those, they sound fun. On the topic of reading does anyone have any suggestions for non-fiction/science books that are written around a third grade level but that are fiarly comprehensive/ in-depth/ accurate? Connor LOVES science but we have to walk a line between the information being advanced enough while keeping the reading level at the third grade level. His science comprehension is wuite high (he knows concepts that my middle and high school SS's are just learning)but gets lost if the writing is too technical/dry.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM