Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by PhysicistDave
    Lori wrote:
    One reason that I�m not bothered by the evangelical homeschoolers, even though I strongly disagree with them on numerous points (starting with evolution), is that I suspect that some day it is going to dawn on a lot of their kids that if it is okay to question the authority of the public schools, the government, etc., then just maybe you should also consider questioning the authority of the church, the Bible, etc. also. I suspect there may be more anarchists-atheists being bred by evangelical homeschoolers than their parents realize.

Dave - I like this line of thinking! Call me a bit starry eyed as well.

I have been in this situation, and I AM a homeschooling parent!

Me: Oh, what grade is your daughter in?
    HS mom: Well, she's 5 so she should be in kindergarten. But we homeschool and she is already reading on a first grade level.
    Me: (biting my tongue furiously): Oh, that's lovely. So I was just thinking that as a five year old, it makes sense....(bringing the conversation back to the original topic).

I tend to feel awkward when anyone brings up accomplishments or giftedness out of context. It would never occur to me to declare my kid's abilities to a near stranger unless there was some good reason.

Last edited by Lorel; 03/19/08 03:31 PM.
    Here's an oldie but a goodie on homeschooling: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/humor/076.htm

enjoy!

Well, i just found another reason for homeschoolers to be defensive. DS and I just saw Horton Hears a Who, and the mean kangaroo mom said she's "pouch-schooling" because she didn't want her kid to be using his imagination like the kids being taught by Horton.

That's a great one, Lorel, love it.

I

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    "Isn't it amazing how they all develop? Kids are so great!"

That's my standard because I mean it and can deliver it with honest enthusiasm.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Well, i just found another reason for homeschoolers to be defensive. DS and I just saw Horton Hears a Who, and the mean kangaroo mom said she's "pouch-schooling" because she didn't want her kid to be using his imagination like the kids being taught by Horton.

<eyeroll> So homeschoolers = mean and close-minded. Nice.

Well I have to pipe in here. I live in the South and I am sure this is part of the regional thing but the homeschoolers around here are for the most part the evangelical type and they are rather closed minded. They don't want their children in the public schools because they don't want "precious" to mingle with the great unwashed.

I even had a mother say to me that she let her daughter go to school for awhile but she just had to pull her out because when you are exposed to that "filth" all day the "stink is going to rub off" on you. And me with my kids in public school!!! I didn't know what to say to be honest.

Until I came to this board I had a VERY negative view of HSing. I have to say that you all have changed my mind. I think in certain instances HSing is the best thing to do for a child. But before I came here that wasn't my take on HSing at all.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    And who can blame you with that idiocy around you!?

Ick.

Kriston
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    I tend to feel awkward when anyone brings up accomplishments or giftedness out of context. It would never occur to me to declare my kid's abilities to a near stranger unless there was some good reason.

That�s probably because your child is so shockingly advanced for age smile

Originally Posted by kcab
    Dottie - maybe she just feels like it's safe to talk to you about her kid's accomplishments? Or maybe that's not it, but might still be a useful interpretation to use.

I tend to mention some more mundane accomplishments because I don�t want lurkers, whether they are parents or educators, to believe that every HG kid (or YS) is doing calculus at eight.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM