Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Okay, this is my first posting so bare with me.

My DD8, has had a full WISC IV with all the ability tests. Have those reports but she sat the COGAT earlier this year. We do not have those reports yet.

She absolutly loved school until now. I am not sure what has happened. She has a perfectionist attitude with everything she does. Everything she tries she does very well. But my DD has no friends at school, she sits alone and reads durring lunch. She thought she found a friend at the beginning of this year but that just fizzled out.

Anyway, she came to me about 2 weeks ago asking if there was any way we could find her a program where she could just get through school so she could get into college. She said she could get through that and get on with "being with her family".

I shrugged it off for a few days and then she asked about doing extra work to help her advance. So with that I figured she is serious about this so I started looking into it. I found EPGY so I let her test on their site. She did extreamly well 87th percentile.

That was a week ago and I have promised her we would let her take math with EPGY. But tonight she came to me and told me that there are 101 days left of school on Monday, then she told my how many days till spring break, then how many days till summer break. Pretty soon she was in tears.

When I ask her what is wrong, she said "Nothing" or "I'm fine", (she always does that) and was very hesitant in telling me that she just doesn't want to go to school anymore.

I am not sure if I should advacate to skip her ahead, because I really don't know what all is involved and I don't have a cogat, and I am not sure that is the real problem. She always loved school in the past. But now she would rather get a shot than go there. She swears its not anyone mistreating her, she tells me that the kids are nice enough, but she absolutly hates it.

What should I do? I feel that if I don't do something soon, we will both end up regretting it. HELP!

Any advice would be welcomed!

-Albionkids

Thanks for reading, and taking the time to respond!
    -Albionkids
    B
    B
    What were the WISC results?

OP Offline
    Do you want all of it? Just kidding. Well she her over-all IQ is 120. It was explained to me that her focus seemed poor during the test. Which showed in her processing speed which was 42th percentile. But verbal comprehension was 86th percentile, her perceptual reading was 75th percentile, her working memory was 94th percentile and on the WJ-III as follows:

Letter Word Identification 89th percentile = GE 5.4
    Calculation >99th percentile = GE 5.1
    Spelling 64th percentile = 3.7
    Academic 91st percentile = 4.8

-Albionkids
    A
    A
    Really, we did want all of it - subtest scores included.

OP Offline
    Sorry Aculady... Beckee asked for the results. I'm sorry if I went into to much detail. I am just looking for some help and I am trying to offer as much as I can to get that help. Sorry again. frown

-Albionkids
    S
    S
    I think you misunderstood aculady. She wants to see the full breakdown of scores, all the subtests for each of the aggregate indexes (VC, PR, PS and WM) you provided. For some kids the indexes can average wide variations.

S
    S
    Translating %iles to scales scores, for a start.

WISC IV

VCI: 116
    PRI: 110
    WMI: 123
    PSI: 97

OP Offline
    Oh okay sorry.
    VC 120
    Pr 110
    WM 123
    PS 97

Hope this helps. I am very new to all this (IQ tests and such). I am putting in the leg work but I am still in a fog w/most of this.

-Albionkids
    OP Offline
    Shoot. I mean VC 116.

-Albionkids
    S
    S
    And my non score related question: what does she say when asked what she hates about school? Specifically?

Because despite her claims that nobody is bothering her... This seems like a very sudden change. And there must have been a trigger somewhere (even if only a trigger that revealed an established malaise).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM