Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    What can be done to have my child tested for the Gwinnett county FOCUS program even though the admin in charge refuses because THEY feel my son does not qualify even after getting all A's Does anybody know of private testing that can be done?

Hi, and welcome. Have you looked at your district's policy for admission into GT programs? is this it? http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-edprogweb01.nsf/pages/AcceleratedProgramsandGiftedEducation

If that is your program, it looks like they make the decision of who to test after a referral. You could ask if they take outside test results. If they don't, it doesn't make sense to pay for testing unless there's some other program you think your child could benefit from.

As a general matter, getting straight As does not mean a student is gifted, and not getting straight As doesn't mean a kid is not gifted. a straight A student could be appropriately challenged. Not saying you child is not GT. do you feel like he is not being challenged in school? Do you think the GT program offered would solve any problems you're seeing?

Originally Posted by Justlearnfast
    .The gifted education program stresses five areas:
    1. AKS extensions
    2. accelerated learning
    3. research and reference skills
    4. communication skills
    5. metacognition/cognitive strategy development

By their screen name I'll bet the kid of just learns fast exhibits the second of the five areas the gifted program stresses.

And here's the offerings that draw from her local gifted Program-
    Competitive events for gifted education students are selected at the local school level. Gwinnett's students may participate in Future Problem Solving, Odyssey of the Mind, Destination ImagiNation, National Academic League, Scholar's Bowl, Debate and The Governor's Honors Program.

Are these the type of things your kid wants to do after school with their free time. Google the first three justlearnfast. I've read that they are time-consuming after school activities. Is that the kind of thing your kid wants?

Not that that helps your kid get in. Just making conversation.
    Also, I agree... Private testing is expensive and not done lightly, maybe something to get in some private schools, but not really for a gifted pull-out program in your school.

I might get called a pushy parent, but I'll bet the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Bet if you keep asking they'll test your kid eventually. If you think they'll like those after school competitive events listed at the bottom of your gifted program's page then I say ask and keep asking, the teacher, the principal. It does seem like you think they'll score high enough.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    The State of Georgia does allow for private testing in the area of Mental Ability (IQ), but how the local district handles private testing is another matter. I am in APS and my son was tested privately for Mental Ability (WISC IV) and in school for Achievement (Stanford 10). He scored extremely high on both (GAI 165 on the WISC) and 97th and 99th percentiles in reading and math for achievement BUT APS will not take private testing unless it is validated by two other school provided tests. So even though my son meets the State criteria for entry, the local school system is giving me a hard time. If that mental ability test was given by the local school system, he would be allowed into the program. With that said, the private testing was well worth spending the money for me since I now have a better idea of what I am working with...regardless of the school's definition of gifted. I highly recommend Dr.Spomenka Newman for private testing in the Atlanta area.

L
    L
    I just recently went through this process for my DS8 last year. I first started by visiting the Ohio Education website to understand what the public school districts have to do. After understanding the guidlines the school districts have to follow I used it to speak with my DS8 school. I started with the counselor by explaining that I would like my son tested to understand where he is at. I wanted to understand where he was on the curve so I could better understand how much I need to be an advocate for him. So I requested/referred for my DS8 to be tested. This was obviously a new question for this school and she said she would check witht he gifted lead for the district to find out next steps. That lead to an IQ test and a seperate test for just Math. After testing we met with the district gifted person to understand the tests. At the meeting we brought up the possibility of acceleration in Math. We asked how the process would work. She said we should request this through the counselor and that their would be a committee formed. This began the uphill battle. After 4 meetings and 3 monthes with the principle, current teacher, enrichment teacher, counselor and then a 3rd grade teacher the principle decided to let us give it a try. Obviously it wasn't that easy but that was the end result. So DS8 started this year going up 1 grade in Math. If I had not been so pushy, knowledgeable on what they should or could do, and presistant they would have never done it. I believe the principle didn't think it would work. It worked and has been the best thing we could have ever done for him. Just keep pushing and become as knowledgable as they are. Keep being an advocate for your child. If you have questions please let me know.

DS9 Gifted / ADHD

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM