Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    acs Offline
    Oh delbows--That is great. You and DS must be very proud!!!

How long did DS spend on it? what did he do?

Brag away!!!

D
    D
    Thanks acs! I am proud of DS because he poured his heart into this project for at least two months after he decided which of his three (original) ideas to go with. They all sounded too complex to me (and to his teacher).

He built a hydro turbine and a generator to measure the amount of electricity produced by different shaped water channels. His hypothesis, based on Pascal�s Law, PRESSURE=FORCE/AREA, turned out to be incorrect. The results demonstrated Bernoulli�s Principle which states that a fluid must exit a narrow area at the same speed that it entered.

No one would ever accuse me of having �done� this project for him. DH did supervise the use of power tools and guided him throughout, as well as, dumped the 5 gallon buckets of water through the channels. However, the project was conceived, driven and produced by DS.

I finally found the link for the big regional competition which is next Sat. Bummer, registration deadline was this past Friday and had to be initiated by the school.

K
    K
    That's amazing delbows! You should be very proud. smile

Cool project!

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS State S.F. is today. Very close to the house, so I am the official "lunch" mom, delivering orders:-)

My son's project will probably be viewed as "too complicated for age". Last year a very simplistic ones , or the ones bought from the internet won. It doesn't always pay to be smart:-)

D
    D
    I hope your son does well despite being too smart!

DH managed to get DS entered in the big regional science fair this weekend.

DS has attended a few physics classes at the university were the science fair will take place over the last couple of years. Last spring, he sat in on a class covering Pascal�s Law which became the catalyst for his project. He intended to write a note to let the professor know how inspired he was by his class. Maybe he will get to thank him in person this weekend!

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS did very well "despite being too smart" - it sounds bad, but I hope you all understand what I mean :-)
    He got 3rd place in his division (math/physics)along with $10 cash and a $100 scholarship to the local U (LOL), but then he took first prize from the Air Force something Fundation , and it was $100 cash. He was extatic, as he is saving every penny for a camera - remember?, movie making is his next craze!

Congrats to Ania and Delbows and families.
    Isn't it the greatest thrill to see your child construct the idea on THEIR OWN and be successful with it?
    I love that.

I

D
    D
    Ania, your DS did great in a STATE competition!

A
    A
    Yes, congratulations to the both of you and your kiddos. It's great to see that the internet and availability of resources (like the science fair kits) hasn't ruined the creativity and individuality of the projects for everyone. It gives me hope that one of my favorite things from my school experience hasn't been completely ruined.

Will your kids be available for tutoring in about four years? wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM