Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    L
    L
    I almost forgot to add that if she hasn't already, taking the time to study a little mythology and the hero's quest can be very helpful for learning to analyze literature for symbols and patterns.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    She loves mythology, and has read it extensively already (she owns the Quiz Bowl questions in that area smile ).

I contacted the principal last night, and asked to meet with him today. Just got home from an hour long discussion with him. He actually is a pretty good guy (which I knew). The door is open a crack on the option of the AP class again when I explained why I thought it was a better option for her than the regular English class. It was a good experience for D to advocate for herself, but there are just some things a parent is more able to articulate and argue for in this situation. We also had a good conversation about the opportunities schools have with today's technology to teach to an asynchronous class (or child), and that this was an example of a way to do that (the online AP class). He was open to that discussion at least. And... he really couldn't/wouldn't defend the use of the Simpsons. So I am glad I went.

We left it that (1) he agreed to talk to our DYS contact person about acceleration (with not much hope that he will change his mind, though), and (2) that we will look into changing her schedule to fit into the other teacher's class (again, he is not committing for sure, but offered to see what is needed). One thing we know is that she will need to drop back the lower level French class for 2nd semester (which she already took last year), but he thought with some tutoring she could still be ready for AP French next year. We already pay for French tutoring (one of those asynchronous areas, she has zero natural talent for it), so that wouldn't be a hardship.

So still hoping for AP, but fallback is a change in teachers. Will keep you posted!

Last edited by intparent; 12/14/11 04:22 PM.
    Originally Posted by intparent
    One thing we know is that she will need to drop back the lower level French class for 2nd semester (which she already took last year), but he thought with some tutoring she could still be ready for AP French next year. We already pay for French tutoring (one of those asynchronous areas, she has zero natural talent for it), so that wouldn't be a hardship.

I'm not sure I understand the push for AP French if she's already struggling in it.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh, she hates French. And aspires to never take it again once she graduates from high school. So AP French is an opportunity to place out of college French, since most of the LACs she is looking at have a language requirement for graduation. smile

The French CLEP exam might be easier than the AP exam. I was able to CLEP out of two semesters of college French and I was never that great at it. Most of the test was listening to someone speak French then answer questions about the content.

~amy
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Do you write the answers to the CLEP, or speak them? She is very good at speaking, not so good at writing in French.

It's been quite a while, but I believe it was multiple choice from a booklet. I don't recall if I had to speak any. I do remember being relieved that I didn't have to write any sort of essay or anything.

~amy
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Our DYS family consultant sent the principal an email today to start a conversation. No idea if it will help, but maybe...

I
    OP Offline
    I
    I am getting depressed. I haven't heard back from the principal, and I know tomorrow is the last day he is working before taking off the rest of the year. He knows that D has to be registered for the AP class by Jan. 1 to take it in place of next semester's English. I think he is waiting until the last day possible, then he is going to drop another "no" on us and escape for the holidays. Probably at 4:55 pm tomorrow. frown

D got her PSAT scores back, and nailed the critical reading (80, no questions missed). This class is just such a waste of her time.

Her older sister and I were talking, and we were discussing that most of the good English students at their school are girls. Sister said that maybe that is why the school has never dealt with this issue of no honors classes -- lots of the girls are unhappy (she was), but no one wants to rock the boat and cause a conflict. Kudos to D2 for being willing to speak up, but I suspect it will be wasted effort. Wish I had transferred her to another private school across town this year in spite of the nasty commute.

Val Offline
    I suggest you call the principal (or go his office). You need to be in the driver's seat here, not the other way round.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM