Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Here is the tester's response.

Overall, even though the numbers look different, she only displayed a significant difference in one core area: math. Although her score's are different from what would be expected given her ability it is not abnormal. Very rarely do you see someone who excels in every area. Similar to her cognitive abilities she has areas where she excels and areas where she is average (working memory- 107). The fluency is really where she struggled in that it was not automatic, she had to sit and think about the answers often using her fingers. Using fingers is not a bad thing, because over time we expect it to fade as she places calculations into memory for immediate recall. She displayed similar core abilities in math (problem solving 106- numeric operations-110); which are in the high end of the average range. I would still expect her do be able to handle the workload of the gifted program in math. As the math becomes more fluent, which it will, she will be fine.

She also displayed a discrepancy on a subtest -Early Reading Skills (standard score 112), but not overall reading ability. Early reading skills are the ability to understand and identify rhymes or sounds within words. When i gave the test i was surprised with the results. She only missed two questions, but they were questions I would have expected her to get correct. She missed both questions where she was asked to identify the second sound of a word, for example (FLAG, FROG, FREEZE); she picked flag and freeze. After the subtest was over i went back to see if it was a mistake or did not understand the directions (even though an example is given before the question) and she still missed it. I would not be overly concerned.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Dottie, I have no idea how to figure scores aside from the GAI so I'll have to take your word on the VCI. I thought her scores jumped quite a bit as well. I will have the tester double check his numbers. The report he gave me was just preliminary numbers, not a full report. Maybe there was an error in his calculations? As far as the substitutions. He said "Giving the additional subtests is justified since there is a large discrepancy in her scores (the original ones I assume). Again, I'm just going off what he said.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    "I do know quite a few more "verbal only" gifted types, who excel in language arts but are really struggling in classes like honors physics and AP calculus. Not that I expect your daughter to be one of those!" LOL! Dottie she may very well end up being one of those because that description fits me to a T!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Dottie, do you know if Aimee Yermish does consults for kids using previous test scores? I'd love to have her input on this, but can't afford to have her do testing.

F
    F
    morgans-mommy, Aimee Yermish is also a member of the board. You may want to send her a private message and ask .. just a thought.

Sheila

Originally Posted by morgans-mommy
    Dottie, do you know if Aimee Yermish does consults for kids using previous test scores? I'd love to have her input on this, but can't afford to have her do testing.
    I know for a fact that she does.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Please forgive any newbie mistakes, I just found this site and am not an experienced poster. Our 9 YO has scores that are not so different, at least in terms of being all over the place, note the processing speed.

WSIC-IV Verbal Reasoning 148; Perceptual Reasoning 137, Working Memory 116, Processing Speed 94 and GAI 153.

Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 19
    Comprehansion 16

Block design 12 (mixed up the colors, but got pattern right I think)
    Picture concepts 17
    matrix reasoning 19
    Digit span 12
    letter-number sequencing 14

Coding 10
    Symbol search 8

They say that she has mild ADD. She does not take medication. I don't know what to make of any of this, but offer this information for what it may be worth.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM