Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Not saying it will be the same for you, but for us it was a disaster. The K teacher shared the info with OTHER PARENTS and teachers who had no need to know the info. This is a K-12 school, and D (age 16) has a teacher this year (11 years later) who I know is aware of her IQ score because of this incident long ago. The teacher we told (K teacher) was completely unqualified to deal with the information, and handled it badly. Hopefully your kid's teachers will be more professional...

M
    M
    I think the difference between 99th and 99.9th is quite hard for a lot of people to comprehend without it clearly stated. Although the numbers mean the same thing 1/1000 v. 1/100 sounds much more different than the percentiles. As does the idea that if you teach 20 kids per year you would statistically see 1 kid in 50 years that is 99.9th, but one every 2-3 years who is 98th. In an "average" school...

We have shared our kids reports with school, that's why we had them tested, to have a proffessional opinion not just our own to take to school. Our kids' latest reports were 30 odd pages of information. I would not share just raw numbers with no interpretation.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 01/09/12 08:49 PM.
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    I think the difference between 99th and 99.9th is quite hard for a lot of people to comprehend without it clearly stated. Although the numbers mean the same thing 1/1000 v. 1/100 sounds much more different than the percentiles.

Its more than that. There is a comprehension vs time spent component. A 99.99 child just needs a few minutes to get something vs hours for a kid at 99.0 and days for a kid at 95.0.

M
    M
    I didn't say anything about HOW children at various points were different, just that it was often hard to understand the degree that they were different at all. I absolutely agree that speed is one of the significant issues.

E
    E
    I share the percentile only. I also always give my Davidson letter of introduction as I think it adds weight.

Also, I always emphasize the final "9" when I tell them her IQ is in the 99.9%.

I TRIED to share at our new home study school, where I thought someone would actually care. The school psychologist completely dismissed me out of hand and wouldn't even look at the acheivement test...people are just not "getting" my kid, with or without test scores *sigh*

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Originally Posted by elastigirl
    I share the percentile only. I also always give my Davidson letter of introduction as I think it adds weight.

Also, I always emphasize the final "9" when I tell them her IQ is in the 99.9%.

Does this have a positive impact, a negative impact, or just generate blank looks?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM