Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My son was tested on the WISC-IV at 9 years-11 months.
    His results are as follows:

Verbal comprehension
    Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 16
    Comprehension 16

Perceptual Reasoning
    Block Design 18
    Picture Concepts 10
    Matrix Reasoning 13

Working Memory
    Digit Span. 12
    Arithmetic 14

Processing Speed
    Coding 8
    Symbol Search 14

Verbal Comprehension 146
    Perceptual Reasoning 126
    Working Memory 118
    Processing Speed 106

Any insight to understand the gaps between VCI and PRI?
    Thank you

P
    P
    My DS's VCI was 20 points higher than his PRI (with extended norms - he hit the ceiling on one subtest in each) and a FSIQ was calculated. The difference was only 17 points without extended norms. His report indicates that his score on the VCI shows an area of profound strength. But there was never any indication that the difference was a problem and I don't see it as a problem today.

I would be more concerned about the lower WMI and PSI. Although it is not necessarily abnormal to have lower WMI/PSI in gifted children, if you are seeing underachievement or difficulty in school, I think those lower scores would cause me to look further into any potential learning differences.

My DS's PSI was average (109) and his WMI was high and after later testing he did get an ADHD diagnosis which fits with exectuive function issues he has at school - impulse control, inability to focus on tedious/boring or difficult tasks, challenges breaking assignments or projects down to manageable pieces. He has issues at home too but his issues are definitely exaserbated by the school environment.

Good luck trying to figure it out.

I guess I should just add to clarify that I mentioned that the FSIQ was calcuated only to show that it can be calculated. The GAI was also calculated and the report indicated that because of the relatively lower PSI, the GAI was a more accurate reflection of his intellectual ability.

Last edited by Deonne; 01/05/12 06:03 PM. Reason: Clarification
    The PRI here is still just outside the moderately gifted range, so no problems there. Looks like you've got yourself a strongly auditory-sequential learner there to me.

My daughter had a similar spread on the RIAS, reversed.

Ditto Deonne and Dude. Exceptionally strong verbal skills and very good non verbal skills. The one flag is the processing speed that is significantly lower and there is wide scatter within the index. I'd keep an eye on whether visual motor skills may be an issue or if other concentration difficulties emerge. While his scores are solidly average, they could create a bit of a bottleneck or frustration. I have found that this powerpoint presentation helps me understand WMI and PSI. http://vbida.org/PDFs/WorkingMemoryProcessingSpeedClassroom.pdf

But again - as Deonne mentions, it is not unusual to see scores for PSI and WMI to be a bit lower than the others.

S
    S
    Since I sent you here because I suspected this, I am going to quote you:

Originally Posted by Olivia L.
    In fact, in France, schools don't test kids. Most of the time, initiative comes from the parents/ or the teacher who noticed low achievement but at the same time bright behaviour from their kids. Our son was tested by a psychologist and we brough the results to school with the report, who in our case conlude that our son is obvioulsy bright but with a non homogenous IQ...

So I expect your motivation for testing was because of low achievement in a bright sounding kid?

SiaSL - this raises the question of whether or not there was a full neuropsych battery including achievement and other areas of cognition. What did the evaluator conclude and recommend? Does it seem reasonable given the child's history? Are there other difficulties such as anxiety, social issues, health issues that should be considered?

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you all your your feed back and especially the powerpoint presentation that help me to understand WMI and PSI. We have got tomorrow an other meeting with the psychologist to try to undertsand better why our son is struggling with his school work, the routine of homework and why he tends to give up in front of difficult/ or challenging task. I will ask him for the neuropsych tests. I will let you know the feed back.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM