Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 180 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    #693 10/30/06 04:38 AM
    W
    W
    Mary,
    gosh that sounds like Mite -- high verbal skills, poor writing skills, poor rote memory skills.

Willa Gayle
    #694 11/02/06 02:33 AM
    Yeah WG - "too smart for our own good's" but I wouldn't trade it, yes?

Ania - I'm glad to know I'm not the only parent raising "one of thoses." As they say on SENG website - normal values training looks insulting to these kids, they do need education in values, but it has to be differentiated! Let me know when you figure that one out!

Hi Mary - I love hearing about Barbie! How is her touch typing going? I don't think she's too young for Mavis or "Read, write, type." I started DS10 at age 7, but it didn't click in until age 9 - still it opened so many doors for us. In the thread about "what would we do differently" I saw that I don't have any clue what I would have done differently if I had know, unless the OT early would have changed things. I probably would have had to quit work, leave DH, move back in with Mom and Dad and homeschooled - so I'm glad I don't have to face all that. Because I don't think acceleration would have worked for DS10 either, unless the school was very understanding, because of handwriting, and "maturity" issues. He wasn't even reading well until the end of first grade. ((Which is the only thing that saved him that year.))

I'll stop rambling now and try to find the earth -((smile))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #1194 11/07/06 11:42 AM
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Well..... we wrapped up vacation last week. Barbie had a blast. I had bought Snoopy a whole pile of new nonfiction to read and guess who read each book cover to cover to and from Orlando? Yep. Barbie - the poor not so bright child.... (eyes rolling).

Well, school is allowing Barbie to take AR tests now. She was ever so proud. She took on Friday. Green Eggs and Ham. Got a 100 on it..... Eeesh. Spent her vacation reading books on Egypt and Knights and Animals and Birds and Dinosaurs - then went back to school so she could read Dr. Seuss and take a test on it.

Keep in mind Trinity - she really isn't a bright as her brother. Honestly, at this age he was reading HP and she is only reading Green Eggs and Ham and the Chronicles of Narnia...... (More eyes rolling)

OK OK - enough sarcasm. I was sick last weekend and we didn't get around to physics class, but this weekend, we will start up. I bought a junior high curriculum and Snoopy and Barbie will both be spending a hour on Saturday morning as we embark on our formal study of physics. Followed by chemistry and biology. Here's hoping they don't fight over the right to lead on experiments - I only bought one lab kit.

We aren't going to homeschool in full - but we can defnitely do some more at home enrichment. Meanwhile, I will keep encouraging her to mature - maybe we can retest in the spring with the local guy. He only charged $100 an hour and did a preliminary visit and test before he did the whole thing.

Mary

Mary
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM