Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #119385 01/05/12 09:22 AM
    P
    ppp Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Any one knows detail info on plano ISD's math rock program?
    Anyone's child has been in that program? what was the selection criteria?Is it beneficial? How is it structured?

Thanks,
    PP

Here is a presentation on it.

http://www.pisd.edu/staff/districtdigest/2009-10/Math_Rocks.pdf

It is a 2+ year acceleration for mathy kids. Kids also get a lot of college credit.

Here is the class sequence.

6th grade: Honors Math Rocks 6.
    7th grade: Honors Math Rocks 7 with Honors Algebra 1 (for high school credit).
    8th grade: Honors Math Rocks 8 with Geometry (for high school credit).
    9th grade: Algebra 2 combined with Pre-Calculus (for 2 high school credits).
    10th grade: Calculus 1/Calculus 2 (for college credit from UTD).
    11th grade: Differential Equations/Number Theory (for college credit from UTD).
    12th grade: Abstract Algebra/Multi-variable Calculus (for college credit from UTD).

A lot of kids also take the AMC series. ( A high score on the AMC is much better than a high score on the SAT.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Mathematics_Competitions

And many attend:

http://metroplexmathcircle.wordpress.com/

If your child gets offered Math Rocks, I would highly recommend they accept. The mathematical foundation it builds will server them well no matter what they do in life.

Last edited by Austin; 01/05/12 12:27 PM.
    P
    ppp Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks for the reply.

How do I know if my child's MAP score is 2 Standard deviation or 3 SD above the grade level? Any insight on that?
    From the presentation it looks like only MAP scores are considered for this program, is this true?
    Do teachers tell the parents about it? Or parents advocate?

Originally Posted by ppp
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What would be a 3 Standard deviation for a 3rd grader. Any idea on how to calculate it? Or just a ball point RIT score?

Do the teachers tell the parents at the end of the school or parents have to advocate?

Is it ONLY MAP score that is considered or other math tests also?

I would contact the PISD Elementary Math Coordinator, Julia Haun, for more information. You can call the PISD and get her phone number.

P
    P
    My daughter is in Math Rocks. It is purely based on MAP scores and the school/ district will notify you if selected.

X
    X
    Thanks Plano Mom,

What was her score in MAP in fall, winter and spring. What grade was she offered the program? What is hers and your opinion about the program?

P
    P
    Her current MAP score is 277 for Middle School testing. She is in 5th Grade now and was offered the program in 3th going to 4th. It is challenging and she seems to enjoy it. She is in an awesome school and has a wonderful teacher. We do not get to see much stuff at home smile

R
    RAO Offline
    R
    Math Rocks is supposed to be a more problem solving approach. It is great, but the issue is that you'll not see anything coming home. This can be frustrating. Most Math Rocks kids have enrichment outside of school. My son does not attend any other classes outside and I have to make sure there are no gaps.
    I worry that this might be a bigger concern in middle school.
    Plus - based on my guess, the problems can be of AMC / Math Olympiad nature. Am not sure how well our teachers can handle it. My son got into the program in 4th and it is really hard for me to assess how much this program has helped him. I do trust that the content is great and probably one of its kind in the nation - but I have little faith in how it is delivered or drilled.

Being in Math Rocks is like getting onto a Select sports team.

If you want to compete for the top in the AMC tests, then some work outside of class is important, especially in Middle School. Some parents push their kids and others are self-motivated. It may be that your son becomes competitive, or he may not. Or he may go through phases.

The later classes in harder topics will be often frustrating. But sticking with it will bring emotional and intellectual growth and a true sense of accomplishment.

The exposure to problem solving techniques and the advanced math treatment will have an impact on their intellectual maturity far beyond anything else. And this qualitative outlook will stay with them no matter what they choose to do.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Being in Math Rocks is like getting onto a Select sports team.

If you want to compete for the top in the AMC tests, then some work outside of class is important, especially in Middle School. Some parents push their kids and others are self-motivated.

Lots of Chinese kids go to Chinese school on the weekends, where in addition to classes in Chinese culture there are math contest preparation classes taught by one of the fathers of the students who is an engineer or mathematician.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM