Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DD is 6yrs old and in 1st grade. It is an accelerated/gifted class. Because of her scores on previous IQ testing she was placed in that class by the principal with the assumption that she would qualify for gifted placement. Fast forward to now. DD is doing well in class, although it was a bit rocky at first (she was diagnosed with ADHD and is doing much better with medication). However, her teacher apparently just does not "see" giftedness in DD.

In our district a child must score a 130 or above on an IQ test, show a majority of characteristics of a gifted child as indicated on an intellectual checklist, and show a need for a special program. We have the IQ scores, and I would say she shows a need since she is in the gifted class and doing well, but her teacher is scoring her as average on that stupid checklist, which means DD isn't eligible for the gifted program.

Without admission to the program she is no longer guaranteed a spot in the accelerated/gifted class next year. Any spots in the gifted classes not taken up by identified gifted children are filled based on overall grades, SAT 10 testing and you guessed it, the intellectual checklist scale. DD didn't score well on that checklist in K either and wouldn't have been put in the gifted 1st grade class if I hadn't submitted her test scores over the summer.

I'm thinking of applying for Davidson's. DD has a GAI of 148 on the WISC-IV and we're awaiting results of achievement testing. Is this a situation where a Davidson's consultant/advocate could make a difference? I'm really at a loss for what else to do to. She would be bored out of her mind in a regular class and I'm afraid that's where she's headed next year.

P
    P
    I noticed that you gave her GAI instead of full-scale IQ. I'm wondering if that is because there were significant discrepancies in her sub-test scores. Usually with ADHD there is. Twice-exceptional children classically are under-recognized as gifted by their teachers. Do you think this could be the issue?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Her full scale is 135 and she does have a huge discrepancy in her scores. Verbal and Perceptual were much much higher than Procesing and Working Memory. I can't remember the exact scores right now. The psychologist said not to even consider the FSIQ as valid. I do think the gifted is being masked by the ADHD. She performs well, but assignments take her longer, she forgets steps, etc. Her teacher is very good about working with her on those things and accomodates her well, but I think it is also clouding her judgment.

To answer your question "yes" this is where they would be able to advise or help with advocating for your child.

Last edited by Skylersmommy; 01/04/12 02:57 PM.
    Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    To answer your question "yes" this is where they would be able to advise or help with advocating for your child.
    Yup - but for now I would ask the tester to call the Principle and 'have a little chat' about this whole issue of why 2E kids, or even high LOG kids can end up 'looking off' to teachers who see lots and lots of Optimally Gifted kids, but are still desperately in need of gifted service, moreso even than the kids who are more easily identified on the checklist.

You can't really have that talk with the Principal, but a professional - either the local tester or a DYS Family Consultant can.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM