Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
    DeHe #118249 12/15/11 04:09 AM
    T
    T
    now my DD5 told me she has a reading buddy from first grade and my daughter is basically "tutoring" the older child in reading low level books. Again, I am trying to just take a deep breath and realize this is just kindergarten and to let things ride even though my daughter never has anything near her appropriate level in any area. Her handwriting is improving so at least we have had that gain this year.

DeHe #118250 12/15/11 05:18 AM
    Gosh TT. .... If they are going to pull down a first grader to buddy with, couldn't they at least choose on who is a peer? Or did they try and that's the best? I love you intention to not make things worse with worry and enjoy the time you have together but I think you can do this while continuing to function in the roll of feedback giver.

I see it as a really good sign that they are willing to pair her across grade levels. They are probably already thinking that they need to tweak and just need a little validation to take action.

This year is going well that's great.

Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    DeHe #118298 12/15/11 01:29 PM
    M
    M
    hello all *waves* Aiden starts our equivalent of K on 18th January, so thought I'd pop in for some sharing and support. He is most hopeful of being given "real" maths, more challenging books to read, and perhaps some spelling homework too. lol I think he is aiming a bit high, esp since the teacher we were most looking forward to is leaving and the class will now be 2 smaller classes (11 kids per class) with new teachers and a teacher's aide per class.

how is everyone else finding K so far?

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    TwinkleToes #118306 12/15/11 04:32 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    now my DD5 told me she has a reading buddy from first grade and my daughter is basically "tutoring" the older child in reading low level books. Again, I am trying to just take a deep breath and realize this is just kindergarten and to let things ride even though my daughter never has anything near her appropriate level in any area. Her handwriting is improving so at least we have had that gain this year.

this was mentioned to us as well, although not first grade, basically pairing DS with a low level reading kid. Not really thrilled either. DS mentioned string theory to the kids at school older gifted kids and still got, the blank stares, a teensy reminder of the horrible situation in pre-k till I saw the DS didnt mind because they all just moved onto something else. So we are still doing a lot of learning at home and he is doing all the stuff we havent done at school - sort of backfilling. Maybe we should just make the new mantra for K - all about the handwriting!!!

DeHe

DeHe #118488 12/19/11 01:58 PM
    T
    T
    ha ha DeHe

Update: I just found out her reading buddy is a 4th grader, not a first grader, and my daughter apparently helps the older child with reading when it was suppose to be the other way around...

TwinkleToes #118492 12/19/11 02:32 PM
    Update: I just found out her reading buddy is a 4th grader, not a first grader, and my daughter apparently helps the older child with reading when it was suppose to be the other way around...
    Gulp - wasn't expecting that!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    TwinkleToes #118500 12/19/11 04:49 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ha ha DeHe

same here with the 4th grader - but its not remedial!!!! That is jsut unacceptable - she at least should have a buddy who she can really talk to about books. I tried to get DS to talk to his buddy about the books they are likely both reading but he won't do it - he turning out to be quite conformist in terms of speaking up and volunteering. The only thing he ever asked for was permission to use the library in class during center time - it was the begining of the year, i thought it was awesome he advocated - but nothing since

TwinkleToes #118511 12/19/11 09:36 PM
    ha ha DeHe

Now you have the makings of a 3+ grade skip!

Think Judo - use your opponent's movements against them!

"Why, miss TwinkleToes, we cannot advance your DS - she will not make any friends in the 4th grade! She will be socially isolated! And then the gaps in her learning!"

TwinkleToes #118607 12/21/11 09:38 AM
    G
    G
    ha ha DeHe

Do you know it's supposed to be the other way around?

I've been having good (but slow) luck with writing exceeding polite emails asking for clarification. My basic format is:

"Dear Mrs Kindergarten Teacher,

DD has been describing the reading buddy program to me over the last few weeks. She reports that [acknowledge that not all I hear from school is accurately reported] she's working with a 4th grader on reading. She has expressed frustration [or other emotion/effect] to me over the arrangement because she is helping this other child with reading more than the other way around. Can you clarify for me the goals of this program? [Maybe it really is to have the kindergarteners help the 4th graders.] DD has been disappointed that she cannot have a detailed discussion of the reading [or other complaint] as a result of the mis-matched nature of this pairing.

Thanks,

{my first name}"

Sometimes I throw in a statement about how I'm framing the situation positively for my child at home: "We've had a few conversations about DD's talents {e.g. reading} and things she must struggle to learn {riding a bike/handwriting/playing the flugelhorn}, to help view other children's struggles and talents more broadly."

I'm finding that emails like the above don't get a response for 2-3 days because the teacher is now scrambling to figure out what's happening. Then I get a response, and either the problem is fixed or we have an established tone of mutual respect from which to work on the problem together.

FWIW, our kindergarteners are paired with 4th grade buddies. They come in and work with the kids here and there, but mostly on non-academic things. The pairings were done nearly at random. If the same is that case in your situation - kids paired with 4th graders at random, it might have been a fluke that they paired a child with a reading disability with yours.

And yeah, add us to the pile of people getting handwriting and little else from kindergarten.

DeHe #118611 12/21/11 09:49 AM
    F
    F
    I asked ds yesterday about school. Was it easy or hard or just right. His response "momma, what we do at home is kinda hard but not really. School is just for fun. Its soooooo easy".

His handwriting is ok but can always use improvement. I guess we can be added to that group as well!

Tomorrow is our big day. Ds is being tested with the WISC and WIAT. We have school conferences on January 12. I should have preliminary results tomorrow and will reschedule the conference if I feel we need to add the principal and gifted teacher/ district gifted coordinator into the mix. Services don't start until second grade here ughh. We are looking at going to private schools (my mom actually suggested we go this route and will help pay, I hope).

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM