Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
    TwinkleToes #112329 09/23/11 06:12 AM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    my DS hasn't come home with any homework, which is funny in that the open houses for this gifted school they made such a big deal about if you don't want your kid doing homework don't come here because we give a lot of it.

I can't tell what is going on in the classroom from DS is description - he doesn't seem unhappy - and is exhausted which surprised me because the day is the same length as pre-k but i think he is required to sit sill longer and pay attention.

The teacher has been very responsive to emails about pick up and snack and all the other new things to sort out - but I am hesitating about the academic side of things.

There is nothing wrong - but I have a feeling - and I have no idea what it is based on. It might just be the unknown. Nothing has come home at all. And what he shares is so piecemeal.

This is a gifted school - but I don't know the other parents or other kids yet - I have no idea how rare he is - or if the teachers have even noticed what he can do. We did receive an email about how responsible he is with the class books and he got a sticker for helping his seat mate with math

Am I being crazy? I am trying very hard to be patient (which is what he told me yesterday he was doing!!!)

DeHe

TwinkleToes #112330 09/23/11 06:18 AM
    F
    F
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    On top of all that, she is behaving like an angel in class so she is really suprising us all.

Yea I was very worried about behavior as well. But he has been super good. I even warned his teacher that I thought if he wasn't engaged he would act out. Who stole my baby and left me with this big boy?!?!?!

Ds is only about +1 in reading (guided reading level "e") but he loves books like Fly Guy which is more like "j". oh well.In Math he should be +2 but they won't accelerate in our district frown (after many promises of acceleration for him).

He still does the centers they have. He has told me he has to practice writing letters and numbers in one of those centers. He has an independent reading center (wonder what the kids who barely know their letters do in this one) ; there is a listening center; and a read with teacher center (this is from what he tells me)

DeHe #112331 09/23/11 06:33 AM
    T
    T
    I was so shocked. She has been just wonderful in class and the OT said that six other kids in the class seemed problematic but there is NOTHING at all of note for my DD and in fact, that she is just lovely to have in class. When she comes home, she is wild though. Her energy is just exploding everywhere. She isn't naughty / defiant, just cannot stop moving, talking, and playing in really intense ways which is hard on me. She isn't remotely tired, but then again it is only two and a half hours. I don't think it is enough for her now... I am worrying I made a mistake pulling her out of the six hour a day Montessori.

Franieanddejsmom, does he seem happy? My DD does come home happy but does say things are much too easy and grumbles a little bit. She loves a marble game they have there, and "gym" and recess ;-) She made a new friend who is very lively and whose brother turned out to be highly gifted so that motivates her to go to school.

I keep hoping they will give her appropriate level work soon. They kept talking about helping them grown horizontally, not upwards...hmmmm...not sure that sounds right. That is fine if they actually broaden her at her actual level and not shoot low. The teacher did say that she notices my DD5 thinks differently and she has shown things that got her teacher's notice on her own, but I just don't think the teacher quite gets what my DD's abilities are even with testing in front of her. Its frustrating and I don't want to be too annoying...

How did things go with your older child?

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 09/23/11 06:50 AM.
    DeHe #112332 09/23/11 06:50 AM
    F
    F
    Wow you guys get gym and recess in the 2 1/2 hour day? Ds gets recess on Fridays only. I wish we had all day kinder, but kinder isn't required in Illinois so no go. Gifted identification and services are not required here either (and of course since our state is in such a financial crap hole we get no funding either).

He seems pretty happy. His teacher has been great giving him different work. He has mentioned that the amount of writing is a lot . Which I think he may be right on. I will talk to his teacher and see if we can back off just a bit. He seems to be doing more writing then dd7 and he doesn't have the stamina for all of it yet.

DeHe #112347 09/23/11 09:57 AM
    T
    T
    I should have been more clear: SOME days they get recess, not always. They go to gym once a week, but an OT comes in their class and does exercises with the entire class so they do get some physical outlets.

You are getting writing? They are having her circle letters and asking if she knows the letters of her name even after meeting with the psychologist who said she was gifted and the teacher nodded and said she is trying to differentiate. I actually feel for the teacher. She seems nice but overwhelmed with a huge class with some kids who are really quite wild. I am sure getting hard work for the gifted kid isn't the most pressing concern day to day.

Are there other kids who your son is working with who are at a similar level? There is a little boy in her class who is advanced, probably gifted, but very shy, and I am hoping they can give them harder work together.

TwinkleToes #112349 09/23/11 10:18 AM
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    she is just lovely to have in class. When she comes home, she is wild though. Her energy is just exploding everywhere.
    Hey! Great news. 2.5 hour school day is 'expensive' for her, but she is holding it together.
    Send an email to the teacher asking when you can expect to see worksheets that are more at her level. Or gather some up and bring them in to school and ask the teacher to keep them in a folder for DD and give them out during worksheet time.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    DeHe #112354 09/23/11 11:24 AM
    F
    F
    The writing in class is tracing letters and numbers. The writing at home is the enrichment. The assignment to the class may be to name 5 kids in the class, his work is to write their names. One math assignment was to count the steps from your door to the sidewalk. He counted that plus the steps to the bus stop and then wrote a word problem to include the difference. Staring this past Monday, his math assignments are completely different.

There is a girl in his class who is most likely gifted. She excels in reading and ds in math (although both kids are above grade level in their 'weaker' areas) lol. The teacher is differentiating for both but in somewhat different ways.

DeHe #112420 09/25/11 12:42 PM
    T
    T
    That's great that they are doing something. It is certainly a start.

I am told they will eventually do something with my DD5, but I think they just don't get her yet. Her writing is good, and by that I mean she understands capitalization, punctuation, paragraphs, verbs, nouns, alliteration, and all sorts of writing related things and has a frightening vocabulary and a wild imagination, her handwriting is even neat yet so far she is just tracing letters. They had the achievement testing / IQ right in front of them, but it is as though it didn't really register what it meant in terms of what is appropriate level work.

This is another topic, but do you think a child can be "hothoused" into performing years ahead. There is a little boy in the class who is similar (according to his mom, I haven't seen him do anything on my own) but when I spoke with his dad at a birthday party, he seemed to discount the idea that his child was gifted and attributed his being so advanced to his wife working very hard with him since day one. He is reading at least at a second grade level, but again, I have never heard him read or know what his comprehension is like, can do multiplication, tell time, and that sort of thing. He is very very shy and withdrawn, actually doesn't seem to want to mingle with other children. I am guessing my DD5 will eventually be paired with him, and although ultimately it doesn't matter, it just got me wondering how far a parent could push a child ahead. I think the boy must be gifted to some extent, but my perspective is based on a very obstinate child of my own who doesn't like to be taught or drilled in any way so I can't imagine being able to accomplish much beyond what was in her close reach since she likes to do her own thing. Maybe he is a very bright child who likes to please and she was able to push him ahead, but could any mom who worked her child hard be able to have her child years ahead in school with a child of "average" intellect? I have my opinions, but I was curious what others thought. TIA

DeHe #113096 10/05/11 12:10 PM
    F
    F
    conferences are tomorrow.. so much to ask in my 15 minutes. I don't even know where to begin. We do get fall MAP results so maybe I'll start there.

DeHe #113287 10/07/11 02:36 PM
    F
    F
    has anyone received NWEA MAp results yet? Just curious as to where everyone is at

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM