Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    So, Butter is not a "shoo in" based mostly on her WIAT testing...but out of 10 subtests, 7 of them start at 5 grade levels above her current 3rd grade placement with age peers and the tester told me the 3 lower scores are likely due to lack of exposure (in other words, the former school held her back, grrrrr!)

She hates writing...I don't know how I would convince her to do some academic writing that fits the criteria...how do you even know they are doing work 2 or more grade levels above? Can I just get a 5th grade math book and see if she can do it?

I thought DYS was what we really wanted, but maybe it's not quite the right program for us. I also don't want to pay for and make Butter go through testing again in a year...but we could really use an advocate...

I would greatly appreciate your input as to what you did if your child's scores were not glaringly DYS material or how you got your child (especially the non work producing type) to cooperate enough to do the work needed for the portfolio.

OR...is there something like DYS for more creatively inclined kids? tia!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    F
    F
    I think DYS accepts one of those Explore tests that are pretty cheap and your kiddo may enjoy them. It maybe worth giving that a try. Its pretty quick and cheap and if that does not work then go for the portfolio option. It can't hurt to try!

This page has links to Davidson discussion threads on portfolios, and a collection of successful entries: http://giftedwiki.org/index.php?title=Davidson_Young_Scholars_Program_application_portfolio

(From my phone)

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    You've got a PM (the blinking envelope at the top of the screen is a link)

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Not meaning to imply that ds11 is very near dys scores at all, but he is pretty darn creative and way ahead of what was offered in the middle school. I just felt he could do a lot more and there were other factors that finally contributed to our starting homeschooling a few weeks ago.
    Probably not a practical answer to your 'other options besides DYS' question.

Last edited by chris1234; 01/01/12 05:20 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM