Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #118645 12/21/11 01:22 PM
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So... yeah... we finally got the results back from the computer-based testing my son did back at the end of October. It was the IVA+Plus. And apparently, according to this, my son does *not* have ADHD. At all. What the test did show was a Mild to Moderate Impairment in Visual Prudence, and a Mild Impairment in Visual Sensory/Motor. He showed zero signs of hyperactivity during the test, and the rest of his results:

Auditory Attention - Exceptional Range
    Auditory Sustained Attention - Superior Range
    Auditory Dependability - Superior Range
    Auditory Stability - Superior Range

Visual Attention - Superior Range
    Visual Sustained Attention - Above Average Range

From her report "(DS) showed a superior ability to respond reliably to auditory stimuli. His response times did not excessively vary under low demand conditions. In respect to recognition reaction time, (DS) was able to respond in a reliable manner. He demonstrated superior ability in comparison to his peers in maintaining his speed of responses to auditory stimuli under high demand conditions."

Her conclusion "Based on the testing results of the IVA+Plus Assessment, I believe that (DS) would benefit from non-verbal IQ testing utilizing the Naglieri Abilities Test. <explanation of the NNAT> This test can give us the information we need to make sure (DS) is placed in the appropriate academic program and to determine if he should be placed in advanced learning classes or classes for gifted children."

She also recommends doing some more testing for anxiety and working on that and social skills in counseling with her.

Honestly, I am pretty amazed by these results. I want to be relieved, but I am mostly just confused, lol! Has anyone else had this test administered to their children?

~amy
    epoh #118663 12/21/11 02:35 PM
    A
    A
    I'm a little puzzled as to why anyone would recommend the Naglieri, a purely visual, non-verbal test, to assess someone with visual deficits and auditory strengths for giftedness. Is it simply that the Naglieri is the usual test that that tester administers or that the school district uses? Or is it that the WISC-IV and the SB-V both have high visual-motor demands on some subtests, and the Naglieri doesn't require as much visual motor coordination? You might ask your tester about the RIAS, if the lack of visual-motor demands is the reason for choosing the Naglieri. It has verbal items as well as non-verbal, the visual items are clearer and less visually cluttered than the WISC-IV, and there are no or motor output requirements. It worked reasonably well for my highly verbal son who has problems with visual processing, including visual attention, and with visual-motor integration.

epoh #118666 12/21/11 02:45 PM
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    From what I've gathered, the Naglieri is what she typically administers, I'm assuming due to the high number of ESL folks that live in this area. She did say she could administer the Woodcock-Johnson as well.

ETA: I believe the time is a factor as well. The NNAT typically takes around an hour, from what I understand, whereas the WJ-III can take up to 3 hours.

Last edited by epoh; 12/21/11 02:46 PM.

~amy
    epoh #118669 12/21/11 02:52 PM
    A
    A
    In that case, I'd still ask, gently and politely, about the relative merits of Naglieri vs. the RIAS vs. the W-J Cognitve for someone with your child's particular known issues and strengths, and whether it might be better to assess someone with auditory strengths and visual deficits on a measure that at least includes some items that aren't purely visual, KWIM?

epoh #118671 12/21/11 02:55 PM
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Will do! She is very open already mentioned she'd do whichever test. I'll ask her about the benefits of each when we talk next. (We have an appt with the ped psychiatrist on Friday. I'm interested to see how that goes after this - he'll have a copy of the report.)

~amy
    epoh #118687 12/21/11 06:57 PM
    V
    V
    My DS11 was recently diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive. Our neuropsych. did not use the IVA+Plus.

The evaluation included: a behavioral rating survey (Connor's), history (as described by us), WISC-IV, WIAT, and certain sub-tests of the NEPSY (attention, inhibition, executive function, visual-motor, and a few others). From what I understand (but maybe I'm wrong), there is not one test that can diagnose ADHD, and the diagnosis is based on a whole combination of factors.

I'm not familiar with the IVA+Plus, but it sounds maybe a bit similar to the attention/inhibition parts of the NEPSY (although the NEPSY isn't done on a computer).

Has your DS had other testing besides the IVA+plus? If you do have concerns about behavior or attention, you might want to consider a full evaluation by a neuropsychologist.

epoh #118695 12/21/11 08:57 PM
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This is the only actual test he's had. He was diagnosed based on a history given by us, the parents, and input from his teachers. The key factor was that he exhibits an inability to control himself in all settings - home, sports & school. School is (obviously) the worst, but he has tantrums and age-inappropriate reactions to things in all settings. Honestly, we don't see much in the way of attention problems, more-so the complete lack of self-control and inability to consider consequences.

~amy
    epoh #118761 12/22/11 07:39 PM
    V
    V
    I think you won't really know what's going on without doing more testing. There could certainly be other reasons for the tantrums and lack of self control that aren't ADHD. Full neuropsychological testing would give you the most information, but an IQ test could be a start as well.

In the meantime, are you working on ways of dealing with the behavior? I learned a lot from "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. He also has a website www.livesinthebalance.org/. The "collaborative problem solving approach" has worked well for us. I think the talking it out, problem-solving approach works well for gifted kids.

Another book often recommended on this site to help with difficult behavior is "The Nurtured Heart Approach".

Last edited by Verona; 12/22/11 07:43 PM.
    epoh #118767 12/22/11 08:35 PM
    C
    C
    The ETS/office of disability policy statement on diagnosing ADD states that, "Cognitive and achievement profiles may suggest attention or information-processing deficits. No single test or subtest should be used as the sole basis for a diagnostic decision." They do include the IVA+ as one possible "attention, memory, and learning" test but I'd take their statement to hold the converse as true as well: if no one test can absolutely diagnose AD/HD, no one test can absolutely rule it out either.

http://www.ets.org/disabilities/documentation/documenting_adhd

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM