Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Sometimes I feel like a coward, taking the easy way out.

Kriston, there is no easy way out. Raising kids is hard, whether they're GT or otherwise. I would never think you are a coward for homeschooling.

Well, thanks, Cathy, and I agree that there's no easy way with HG+ kids. No matter what you choose to do--grade-skip, HS, keep 'em at grade level and enrich like crazy, etc.--it's all hard!

I'm definitely playing to my strengths by HSing instead of to my weaknesses, as I would be if I were having advocate incessantly, and there's wisdom to that, I suppose.

But I just really admire parents of grade-skippers. I don't think there's much about that that's easy on you. Many blessings upon you!!!

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I use "skip" so casually that it annoys people, I'm sure. It is NOT a casual decision on my part. But I want to get people thinking. When mom's complain about dull work at school, I say "Maybe you should consider a skip". When a kid has a behavioral problem,"Perhaps evaluate a skip". When the gifted program is threatened with big budget cuts, "I'll just skip DS until he's appropriately challenged". I really do hate the BOX of public education grade levels, and believe ability levels would be preferable in all circumstances. I do think that the more it's suggested, discussed, the more it's considered and done and maybe we can break away from the box bit by bit.

I really like that, Cym! Anything that keeps GT education from being some dirty little secret that we have to whisper about makes me happy! laugh

Kriston
    I have to say I have learned a tremendous amount about respecting other people's decisions while perusing this forum. I am trying to recover from my "say whatever i think" attitude. One of DS4's preschool classmates will be 5 before kindergarten, so I was talking about k with her mom. She said she was going to keep her in preschool for another year. This, even though her mom also said that every day when her brother goes to school, she asks why can't i go to school every day? Her mom also said she's way too bossy right now to go to kindergarten. This little girl is extremely bright, IMHO, so I was shocked and said "she is soooo ready for kindergarten!" Then I realized that if I wanted people to respect my educational decisions, I'd better respect theirs too. So I quickly added, "but of course you have to trust your instincts." It still bugs me though!

I have always viewed grade-skipping as fabulous, and I wish I had been grade skipped when I was in grade school. So anyway, I'm on board about getting the word out about grade skipping and other options for gifted kids, but I'm still figuring out how to not step on toes...

If you figure it out, let me know, would you? wink

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I have no regrets about one grade skip each kid (yet). It's a very natural fit. I think another skip would be good for at least the younger two, but may end up as finishing HS early.
    Yes, others look at you funny ("How could she do that to her kids?" type look). It's a small town and I try not to alienate people, so mostly I don't debate them but just listen and be polite (UNLESS they solicit my opinion/response!)

Just yesterday I was talking to one mom. Her son was reading Harry Potter in Kindergarten. I knew he was highly gifted and a good candidate for a skip back then (birthday a few days after the cut-off), but the parents were "turned off" by the whole gifted idea. Fast forward to 5th grade...mom is beside herself, kid is failing or getting Ds and gets books confiscated because he only wants to read. I suggest she get him tested (he was screened in K and entered into gifted program). He scored in PG range this time. Mom said to me, "Why didn't anyone tell me this could be why we've had problems?" She was so upset that it had taken this long to figure out what's been making her son miserable and awful. Boredom! Disgust! Of course I suggested the skip idea...

Originally Posted by cym
    I have no regrets about one grade skip each kid (yet). It's a very natural fit. I think another skip would be good for at least the younger two, but may end up as finishing HS early.
    Yes, others look at you funny ("How could she do that to her kids?" type look). It's a small town and I try not to alienate people, so mostly I don't debate them but just listen and be polite (UNLESS they solicit my opinion/response!)

Just yesterday I was talking to one mom. Her son was reading Harry Potter in Kindergarten. I knew he was highly gifted and a good candidate for a skip back then (birthday a few days after the cut-off), but the parents were "turned off" by the whole gifted idea. Fast forward to 5th grade...mom is beside herself, kid is failing or getting Ds and gets books confiscated because he only wants to read. I suggest she get him tested (he was screened in K and entered into gifted program). He scored in PG range this time. Mom said to me, "Why didn't anyone tell me this could be why we've had problems?" She was so upset that it had taken this long to figure out what's been making her son miserable and awful. Boredom! Disgust! Of course I suggested the skip idea...

My heart goes out to you and that mom. I had friends trying to tell me that DS 'had special educational needs' due to giftedness, when DS was in 1st grade and my gifted denial just couldn't see it. I thought that they were being 'nice.'

Be glad that it's only 5th grade, and not High School! I promise that if she deals with it now, she will get those result she is looking for, or at least a whopping improvement. DS didn't get the gradeskip until 5th grade - so It isn't to late - but yes - it's not an ideal situation!

Am I defensive about DS's single grade skip, on top of his summer birthday. I'm sure I am, as it's been really tough on him all the way around - socially and organizationally and financially. I sure wish the PS had gone ahead in 2nd grade while we were having all those meetings! But we had a meeting with the Middle School Guidance counselor recently, and he assured us that no one will question the current placement. Yippee! And as itchy as the post-gradeskip fit is, it's about 1000 times better than the pre-gradeskip road we were on.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    So True MON!
    welcome!
    Start a new topic and introduce yourselves, OK?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Just as an aside, your saying, "Welcome Master," Dottie, makes me think of "I Dream of Jeannie." I think I prefer MON to Master! More Jamaican, less enforced bondage.

LOL!

Kriston
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM