Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Dude, the regular track would look like this:

geometry
    algebra II
    trigonometry
    pre-calculus

the honors track was this:

Honors geometry (which included elements of trig)
    algebra II
    pre-calculus
    calculus

So the honors students would not devote an entire year to trigonometry, while the other students would. When I say I never took trig, I mean that I never enrolled in a year-long class called trigonometry.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    I'm gifted in math and it always came easy, but that didn't keep me from inquiring as to why we were learning about imaginary numbers. It seemed pretty useless when I was in high school, and my math teacher did not provide a very satisfying answer. Other children have a lower threshold for motivation to learn math they don't see the point of. These children need inspiration.

I agree completely, so I think I didn't make myself clear.

The textbooks used today (well, the ones I've looked at anyway) have so much extra stuff, it crowds out actual information. Here are examples from my son's geometry book:

• LiNK
    • Who uses this?
    • Engineering application
    • CONCEPT CONNECTION
    • Why learn this?
    • California Standards
    • Remember!

This is on top of semi-useful stuff like "Know-It Notes," "Helpful Hints," "Standardized Test Prep!" and "Spiral Review." There are bright, distracting icons everywhere and the book is loaded with irrelevant color photographs of things like traffic signals, puppies, heroes on horseback, and the Statue of Liberty. Did you know that her index finger is 8 feet long? I do now, thanks to that book. But what this has to do with similar triangles I do not know.

There's very little space for actual text that you'd have to sit down and concentrate on. But that might be hard, and geometry wouldn't be "accessible."

I'm looking at a "challenge" problem in my son's book. It's a straightforward question about side-hypotenuse relationships in a 45-45-90 triangle (the side is 1; how long is the hypotenuse?). For those who've forgotten, the formula is 1-1-root 2.

I was wondering which geometry book Val was talking about (in order to avoid it), and what she recommended instead. She answered that in an Amazon review http://www.amazon.com/Holt-California-Geometry-Edward-Burger/dp/003092345X .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Val
    I agree completely, so I think I didn't make myself clear.

The textbooks used today (well, the ones I've looked at anyway) have so much extra stuff, it crowds out actual information. Here are examples from my son's geometry book:

• LiNK
    • Who uses this?
    • Engineering application
    • CONCEPT CONNECTION
    • Why learn this?
    • California Standards
    • Remember!

This is on top of semi-useful stuff like "Know-It Notes," "Helpful Hints," "Standardized Test Prep!" and "Spiral Review." There are bright, distracting icons everywhere and the book is loaded with irrelevant color photographs of things like traffic signals, puppies, heroes on horseback, and the Statue of Liberty. Did you know that her index finger is 8 feet long? I do now, thanks to that book. But what this has to do with similar triangles I do not know.

There's very little space for actual text that you'd have to sit down and concentrate on. But that might be hard, and geometry wouldn't be "accessible."

I'm looking at a "challenge" problem in my son's book. It's a straightforward question about side-hypotenuse relationships in a 45-45-90 triangle (the side is 1; how long is the hypotenuse?). For those who've forgotten, the formula is 1-1-root 2.

I think that basic geometry is a really great thing for students who aren't mathematically inclined. What tears at me is that with books like the one I have on my desk (which follows state standards and the content is therefore mandated), difficult geometry is out of the question.

I see your point. I too think it's a terrible decision to take out the difficult questions, and distract from learning actual math concepts. The extras should be there to inspire an interest in math, not to impede children from learning.

But, I can appreciate that a large triangle is similar to a small triangle in much the same way that an 8 foot finger is similar to a child's 3 inch finger. There's a lesson about scale related to that example.

It seems to me that the new text books you've described don't have a good balance between the basic mathematical principles and the (hopefully) related topics of interest. I just wanted to make a point that a good text book will have broad appeal, and that such a book should definitely highlight interesting applications of the lessons within.

Last edited by DAD22; 12/23/11 10:21 AM. Reason: too many "seems to me"s.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I was wondering which geometry book Val was talking about (in order to avoid it), and what she recommended instead. She answered that in an Amazon review http://www.amazon.com/Holt-California-Geometry-Edward-Burger/dp/003092345X .

The McDougal-Littell/(Jurgenson, author) book is great. You can use it for self-teaching or as a classroom text, and each section has loads of problems that get harder as you go. But lots of them are not tough, which makes it a good book for any course. There are also other books in this series (Algebra I and II, for example) that are equally good.

Last edited by Val; 12/23/11 10:34 AM.
    Dude, the regular track would look like this:

geometry
    algebra II
    trigonometry
    pre-calculus

the honors track was this:

Honors geometry (which included elements of trig)
    algebra II
    pre-calculus
    calculus

So the honors students would not devote an entire year to trigonometry, while the other students would. When I say I never took trig, I mean that I never enrolled in a year-long class called trigonometry.

Oh, got it.

Our school only offered the one class, which we all called Trig, though its (abbreviated) proper name was Trig/Pre-Calc, so yeah, it wasn't a full year of Trig for us, either.

Our school wasn't rated too highly, so I don't think they could muster enough non-honors students to take a full year of Trig. There were times I flipped through someone's Business Math book, and I was horrified... this was stuff we'd done in elementary school.

I'm gifted in math and it always came easy, but that didn't keep me from inquiring as to why we were learning about imaginary numbers. It seemed pretty useless when I was in high school, and my math teacher did not provide a very satisfying answer. Other children have a lower threshold for motivation to learn math they don't see the point of. These children need inspiration. Ideally, the problems themselves would pertain to useful applications of math. Figuring out how many years it will be before Jill is twice as old as Bill is not interesting or important, but math books are filled with those kinds of questions. Ohms law could be taught in algebra and used to answer similar questions... and the circuits could be built and the answers checked with a voltage meter.

I remember back when I was a teenager, it was a very popular cliche that "you'll never use Algebra after high school." This was expressed in a number of movies and TV shows at the time. I found it very de-motivating. I enjoyed the process, though, so I kept going on anyway. For someone who didn't enjoy the process, I don't know why they'd bother.

I send the opposite message to my DD. I let her know that I use Algebra all the time.

D
    D
    This discussion reminds me of an idea that I contemplate sometimes:

A mandate requiring that all teachers at the high school level or above have 5 years of work experience relating to the field they will teach.

No more teaching straight out of school, and not being able to answer questions about the usefulness of what you teach. Also, if you didn't learn your area of study well enough to be employed in the field for 5 years, then you probably didn't learn it well enough to teach it very well either.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure you can't drive without at least an intuitive understanding of calculus. You have an accelerator pedal, and a decelerator pedal after all, that you use to modify your speed and position.

Last edited by DAD22; 12/23/11 11:09 AM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I remember back when I was a teenager, it was a very popular cliche that "you'll never use Algebra after high school." This was expressed in a number of movies and TV shows at the time. I found it very de-motivating. I enjoyed the process, though, so I kept going on anyway. For someone who didn't enjoy the process, I don't know why they'd bother.

I send the opposite message to my DD. I let her know that I use Algebra all the time.

I think the cliche is true for most people, as discussed in a recent essay. Students who do well in algebra will earn more than those who don't primarily because they are more intelligent on average, not because many of them will be using algebra in their jobs.

http://www.ams.org/notices/201005/rtx100500608p.pdf
    What Is Mathematics For?
    Underwood Dudley
    Notices of the American Mathematical Society
    May 2010

A more accurate title is �What is mathematics education for?� but the
    shorter one is more attention-getting and allows me more generality.
    My answer will become apparent soon, as will my answer to the
    subquestion of why the public supports mathematics education as much
    as it does.

So that there is no confusion, let me say that by �mathematics� I
    mean algebra, trigonometry, calculus, linear algebra, and so on: all
    those subjects beyond arithmetic. There is no question about what
    arithmetic is for or why it is supported. Society cannot proceed
    without it. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division,
    percentages: though not all citizens can deal fluently with all of
    them, we make the assumption that they can when necessary. Those who
    cannot are sometimes at a disadvantage.

Algebra, though, is another matter. Almost all citizens can and do
    get through life very well without it, after their schooling is over.
    Nevertheless it becomes more and more pervasive, seeping down into
    more and more eighth-grade classrooms and being required by more and
    more states for graduation from high school. There is unspoken
    agreement that everyone should be exposed to algebra. We live in an
    era of universal mathematical education.

<end of excerpt>

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I think the cliche is true for most people, as discussed in a recent essay. Students who do well in algebra will earn more than those who don't primarily because they are more intelligent on average, not because many of them will be using algebra in their jobs.

And if you read on, it concludes by basically saying the reason the people are more intelligent is because they learned algebra.

When I say that I use algebra all the time, I'm not referring to the quadratic equation or any particular algebraic function. I'm referring to the concept of constructing an expression based the relationships between known and unknown values to solve a particular problem. Once you've got that expression, it's usually just a matter of simple arithmetic to solve whatever problem you're trying to solve... so it's all in the expression. And the logical processes behind constructing and manipulating expressions is learned in algebra.

Also, I'd say that while the execution of higher math isn't necessary to the performance of most jobs, the understanding of higher math is essential to accessing certain concepts. Electronics engineers and technicians talk casually of sine waves, but if you don't know trig, that statement is meaningless.

When I was in school in the Navy, we spent a whole week on vector mathematics, manually calculating a firing solution to intercept an aerial target with a ballistic weapon fired from a pitching and rolling deck. We never used vector mathematics again, because that's what the computers are for. But we did acquire a deep understanding of the complexities involved in a firing solution, from which we appreciated the importance of getting a battery alignment check done properly, or the impact to the system of losing windbird or gyro data.

Here in this forum on giftedness, an important mathematical concept that helps us understand our kids is the standard deviation. You don't have to calculate it, but you do have to understand it.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    And if you read on, it concludes by basically saying the reason the people are more intelligent is because they learned algebra.

I didn't get that message. Maybe I missed the part you're referring to, but I read this:

Originally Posted by Dudley essay
    ...mathematics develops the power to reason.

Getting better at reasoning doesn't make you inherently smarter. It just means you're better at a skill you develop by doing maths. If I practice skating every day, I'll get better at loop jumps and backward three-turns, but my innate abilities won't change.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM