Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, I spoke with my ds' teacher today about perhaps allowing him access to more appropriate reading material and the response I got was, "He is already in the highest reading group, I don't know what else you want me to do"

I had suggested that he might be able to go to the library and read independently during reading time, but the teacher kept talking over me and assuring that they would get to harder material eventually.... but when she showed me what the "harder material" was - it was not hard - at least it would not be for my son... what to do? I am so frustrated. Why have they not noticed that what they are giving him is too easy?

You could ask the school to give him a reading assessment, so they can establish his reading level. Then you can use that to advocate for a new solution, which could include doing reading lessons in another class at a higher grade level.

mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You are completely logical - this is clearly a good idea - I am just feeling grouchy, and I'm getting tired of the fight - finally got my first one squared away - thought my second would be easy since he is not as out there as his sister. I am just not a confrontational person, but at the same time, why in the world does getting an appropriate education have to be such a friggin' batttle all the time? Sorry getting OT on my own thread here.

D
    D
    DS7 (1st grade) was in the highest reading group with a painfully easy book. We talked the teacher and principal into ordering a harder book -- there are some pretty high readers in the group. She ordered 2nd grade "Junior Great Books," which was still way too easy, but an improvement.

Not to be too much of a downer but DS was assessed and is still in that situation! I have given up hoping that DS 5 will get his actual reading level and interests. He too is in the highest reading group. And the kids there are reading chapters and so now there are chapter books in the box. But while chapter books in the box are SOOO simple - even less than what the other kids are reading - and no where near what DS is doing. They are emotionally appropriate but that is about it. He is required to read at home and we document that so she sees what he is reading at home. What I can't stand is that they keep using the assessment language - that this is "just right" and that he is supposed to be aware of his reading level, when he is so far beyond it! But the library what bugs me - still not being allowed to get his own books - and bringing home things in his interest (space) but so far below what he is reading about it on his own. Such a waste!

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 12/20/11 01:28 PM. Reason: more ire!
    Originally Posted by mom123
    You are completely logical - this is clearly a good idea - I am just feeling grouchy, and I'm getting tired of the fight - finally got my first one squared away - thought my second would be easy since he is not as out there as his sister. I am just not a confrontational person, but at the same time, why in the world does getting an appropriate education have to be such a friggin' batttle all the time? Sorry getting OT on my own thread here.

It's sad, but to the warriors go the spoils. This article about the fight for autism services can also apply to special education for the gifted, with the added disadvantage that our kids aren't necessarily guaranteed anything by law:
    Warrior Parents

Last edited by Dude; 12/20/11 01:44 PM.
    You could try getting the teacher to simply agree that your son can bring what he likes from home, and read it during class. It will have the attractions for her of making you go away for the nonce, and imposing no additional burden on her or the school. If the teacher's tracking and recording the students' in-class reading choices, this could also have the benefit of beginning documentation of your son's higher level.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    My now soon to be 6 year old is currently going to 1st grade for reading though she is in kindergarten, her birthday is Dec. 27 so they wouldnt let her start till this year though it would have been easier if they had let her start last year. She started school reading at a 1st grade level and even getting her sent to first grade for reading they havent moved her to where she needs to be. It is hard. I am going to have to fight this battle next year with my soon to be 5 year old. Her birthday is Jan. So again she couldnt start this year, but she already reads, knows her letters, numbers, letter sounds and shapes. The way I got things going sadly was because my daughter was misbehaving in class. My 5 year old wont do that so it is going to be a fight.

oh tell me about it! Butter started kinder being able to read Dr Seuss and the teacher was going to the 2nd grade to get her books by the end of the year. She's in 3rd now, with a WIAT reading/comprehension of a high schooler. She scored perfect on the Language Arts protion of the state end of year test last year. And even though we are in a home study program where she can read what she wants now, the teacher even admitted she wasn't sure yet what we would do...we will have a meeting with the principal and school psychologist when we get back.

The school will likely give you push back, claiming your son isn't comprehending (that's what they tried to tell me) or that he will somehow get "something" from reading in a group with his peers. Go for an assessment, but be prepared for the school to even ignore it's own results. I think the best you can do is let him read whatever he wants/needs at home and take hime to the public library for more...

OT-Where do schools get off not letting kids take any book they want out of the library? To me, that is a serious problem, that they would limit my kids' choice like that frown

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    J
    J
    My first grader is supposedly in the highest reading group. They don't care what books he checks out of the library, at least! At the parent-teacher conference in the fall, they gave us these cards that had the 100 sight words they should know at the end of the year- of course, he already knew them, at the start of first grade.
    Still, we have found things he can work on. They do a reading contest at their school, and he is working on reading 400 books or chapters in books over 4 months. He's reading 30-45 minutes a day at home. Etc. Our gifted program doesn't start until 4th grade!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM