Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    hannahjeni, Catherine86, Chaj, AlanLuiz, Jach
    11221 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31
    Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13
    Topic Options
    #12352 - 03/21/08 04:36 PM Re: Defensive Homeschoolers? [Re: acs]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    A link which may be useful, at times.

Or maybe not, it isn't exactly what I was looking for, and it isn't as concise as the little TTY marshmallow and fire I was trying to type. (I seem to be out of practice.) In any case, please consider this a PSA, not directed at any individual.

#12356 - 03/21/08 05:46 PM Re: Defensive Homeschoolers? [Re: ]
    Cathy A Offline

Loc: West coast, USA
    For those who may be interested:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/beyond+reproach

#12359 - 03/21/08 06:09 PM Re: Defensive Homeschoolers? [Re: Cathy A]
    PhysicistDave
    Unregistered

Cathy,

Quite right.

If Ann and Dottie meant the phrase in its correct meaning, and were actually expressing sympathy for me, I will sincerely (and most ruefully, I assure you!) apologize to them. I can only say that it is a bit disconcerting being on the receiving end of so much verbal abuse preceding their posts.

From the tone of their posts, it appeared to me that they were not using the phrase in its correct meaning and were intending to criticize me.

Again, if I was indeed mistaken (as I clearly was in terms of the correct meaning!) and wrongly interpreted supportive comments as abusive comments, I hope they will so inform me and I will most sincerely apologize.

Thank you a great deal for pointing this out. It is always a good thing when an unnecessary conflict can be avoided. Frankly, I have had enough of being attacked. I really do hope that I was wrong in those two cases, and that two of the “attacks” were not attacks at all.

Unfortunately, I am not too optimistic that they intended the phrase in its correct meaning, but we shall see.

All the best,

Dave

#12360 - 03/21/08 06:23 PM Re: Defensive Homeschoolers? [Re: ]
    Cathy A Offline

Loc: West coast, USA
    Dave,

I sincerely believe that the people here did not set out to attack you. I have been participating in this forum for almost a year now, and I have not seen any evidence that they are bullies.

I am sorry that you feel you are being attacked. I think that your posting style is not what we are used to here and that you are not used to our posting style. It really appears to me that you are talking at cross-purposes to others here.

I don't think this conflict is the result of an attempt to force you to conform to this social group, rather it is simply a failure to communicate the tone and feeling of our posts to you. It is as if we are speaking different languages. I hope I am speaking your language now and that it is clear that I am attempting to find a resolution.

Cathy

#12381 - 03/22/08 07:49 AM Re: Defensive Homeschoolers? [Re: Dottie]
    Grinity Offline

Loc: Connecticut
    Wow - I missed this whole thread!
    I'm not going back to read it now, but did want to post the rules of conduct for this forum:

What are the rules of conduct for the forum?
    Registration as a user implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
    - Participants shall not post any material that is likely to cause offence, protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal contact information, phone numbers or addresses.
    - Participants may not use the forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.
    - The forum Administrators and Moderators have the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
    - This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.

So, for now, let's try to keep this in mind, ok?
    Grinity

#12542 - 03/26/08 10:22 AM Re: Defensive Homeschoolers? [Re: Grinity]
    Ania Offline

Loc: Home :)
    Wow...
    I am glad I was away for a few days:-)

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    Understanding testing!
    by Klangedin
    10/03/22 08:58 AM