Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 129 of 268 1 2 127 128 129 130 131 267 268
    A
    A
    Quick speech screener item from the 24-month handout: Does your child say two or three words that represent different ideas together, such as "See dog," "Mommy come home," or "Kitty gone"? (Don't count word combinations that express one idea, such as "Bye-bye," "All gone," "All right," and "What's that?")

My DD was not a talker, and did poorly enough on the 18 month questionnaire (didn't have 5 words in regular use) and the 24 month questionnaire (didn't repeat 2-word sentences, didn't use pronouns, didn't really use two-word sentences) that she was referred to a full screening with a speech pathologist. Which showed her to be meeting the 33-month milestones. The SLP said that it was clear she had absolutely no trouble communicating, which is really what they were checking for.

For a kid who didn't really talk, the stuff she did say at that age was weird. "Wind blow. Tree. Noise. Sound. Outdoors." At each full stop, she waited for us to repeat the word back to her, so she could be sure both that we were listening and that we understood what she said.

sooooo Butter(8) takes Multimedia at her new school. They use garage band, Imovies, etc. Today was only the 2nd time she went and last week she was the youngest kid and only girl, but it obviously lit a FIRE under her because she has been talkingabout it all week!

Anyway, today I go to pick her up and the other kids have left and she is standing by the computer while the teacher is jamming away on his electric guitar...turns out, Butter "composed" some music during class time and the teacher (who also teaches guitar) liked it so much, he felt compelled to get out his guitar! We were discussing it briefly and he asked if myself or my husband were musicians...because apparently he thinks she has some "gift" (HIS WORDS!) in the music dept! I was so excited and happy for her, to hear this! She hasn't really shown a huge interest or talent in music, playing instruments, etc (her sister sings nonstop) sothis is very new and exciting and something that has come totally from her.

I'm so happy for her and I'm hoping she will also ask if he will let her join the guitar class (it's supposed to be for 4th and up)

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    U
    U
    Just caught DS (3 1/2) doing DD's chess "homework" (a sheet of board set-ups where you need to put the king in checkmate in one move). He also starteled his grandfather by playing a pretty darn serviceable game last week (granddaddy is a darn good player).

This kid is going to be a serious chess contender by the time he's in K at this rate. The problem is that I HATE playing chess...

I no longer have an emerging reader. He's a reader!
    [img]http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/91766340.mp4[/img]

The lighting's bad. �We were sitting on the couch first thing in the morning before the baby woke up. �The boy was reading his book, I was reading mine. �I noticed he was reading it right and reading it well. �He has not memorized the book. �It's a library book. �He's reading it thanks to his reading eggs lessons. �He mis read a few words. �When I said, no, he would quickly look at the word and correct himself. �He had to ask me a few words from the book.
    This is the first book he's read by himself! �Woo-hoo! �It starts! �4yrs &1mo. �Not very brag-worthy as being a early reader, but very brag-worthy as a proud mamma- my boy's reading! �(fly guy series, about one paragraph per page.)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    It is fun to watch.

Over the holiday we were at relatives and Mr W read the backs of a couple of cereal boxes aloud. And we found him in a cousin's room reading the boxes of some toys while the rest of the kids were rough-housing around him - just this little boy crouching down to see what the boxes said.

OK, just have too....

DS8 had to make his presentation today for the Research Expo at his school. The research expo is the qualifying round to determine who gets to go to the district/regional Science Fair.

Last year as a 7yo in 7th grade, he crashed and burned. He choked and couldn't remember anything.

Fast forward, now 8 in 8th, he kicked butt! He stood tall, was articulate, fielded all of the questions with confidence. It was AMAZING!!! He will find out next week if he gets to advance, but I could care less. I am sooo proud of my little man!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    My dysgraphic son got his report card and one of the teachers commented "he is a gifted writer".

Awesome, you must be so proud of him, and I bet he's really proud of himself!

I just want to "brag" that my son is asking what is inside of practically everything now. He has so far been able to see what's inside of a VHS tape, a DVD/VCR player, a Honda car's dashboard, and a door knob. (The car dashboard is a piece my husband got at a junkyard for him. He's fascinated with MPH, RPM, etc.)

From what I've read, (Ruf) this isn't something children do until they are typically in second or third grade.

Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I just want to "brag" that my son is asking what is inside of practically everything now. He has so far been able to see what's inside of a VHS tape, a DVD/VCR player, a Honda car's dashboard, and a door knob. (The car dashboard is a piece my husband got at a junkyard for him. He's fascinated with MPH, RPM, etc.)

From what I've read, (Ruf) this isn't something children do until they are typically in second or third grade.

DD has been doing this since 3. Anytime I'm doing any kind of repair work, she HAS to know all about it.

Once is never enough, either. I can't count how many times I've been asked to lift the lid on the toilet tank and describe all the parts and functions.

This is not really a brag-- although I'm proud of DS6, who is, shall we say, highly focused on convincing others that he's right when he is. There's no "Great Big Commiseration Thread" or "Courage in the Face of Grim Adversity Thread", so here it is:

DS was given a math homework problem dealing with a child walking to the library, then the grocery store, then straight back home. The first part of the question asked how long the total distance would be, after giving the distance from the kid's home to the library, and from the library to the store.

DS came to me and said, "I don't get it. There's not enough information." He'd drawn a diagram with a circle around the library with a radius reprenting the distance to the store, and then drawn a bunch of lines from the house to the circle to show how the distance home would vary. I told him that his answer was right, and to write out that there wasn't enough info for a solution of that part.

I just found out from my wife that the homework sheet came home with the teacher's red mark and comments that it was indeed possible, adding the two numbers together for a "solution" based on the assumption that the house, library, and store were all in a straight line, as of course they always are in the real world, or at least in Lineland, and additionally assuming that the library was in the middle.

This teacher told us at the last TAT meeting that in her opinion, DS was having trouble with word problems, which shocked us. Now I know what she must have meant. sick She also mentioned that he's argued with her on many occasions about being right. I'm proud of him for being strong enough to stick up for himself, and proud/heartsick that he never mentioned this sort of thing to us. With his brand of perfectionism, every unjustified red mark must be like a slap in the face.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 129 of 268 1 2 127 128 129 130 131 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM