Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 261 of 268 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 267 268
    H
    H
    When I look around here, my story is not that bragworthy, but where we live kids aren't supposed to do anything but play before they're 6. We are 'those parents' just for letting DS5 read. All around us, people are bragging about their 5-year-old learning to ride a bike (our DD2 rides a bike). So...

DS5 started reading just before turning 4. He only practiced in the weekends (like 10 mins a week) and started in his second language. Now, a year later, we find him reading any picture book to his younger sister in both languages. His favourite book at the moment is David Walliam's Fing and he likes reading ask magazine and national geographic kids, which is great to help him with other interests. I'm so proud, because we both love reading and always wanted our kids to share that love.

I
    I
    Welcome, homeros2!
    What a delightful and warm-hearted post. smile
    Cute book your son is reading... just recently published, too!
    Hope you'll stick around.

J
    J
    I love this thread! So I'll try to revive it since it's been a little quiet here.

So here are my brags:
    My 9yr old 5th grader got moved up to 6th grade math and, for the first time ever, he loves his math class!!!! (all these years he always found it boring)

My 7yr old DD skipped 2nd G and is thriving in 3rd, both academically and socially!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    jolip,

So happy to hear your DCs are thriving! It's a wonderful thing to see their eyes light up about learning.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    F
    F
    ds13, 8th grade, is a finalist for his school's google science fair project. His project was determining how fidgets impacted a student's and this around him. He tested in an IC classroom.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Cool! What were his findings?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    F
    F
    Im not sure lol.. I haven't seen his project. Its all online. Im hoping he will show it to me.

J
    J
    What a great thread. I don’t know why I’ve never seen it.

My brag for this week is DS12 entered a new gifted middle school with a long carpool of (other) gifted kids. Watching them marvel about needing to study things for the first time and sharing tips was awesome. He still has As but they are lower and require work. I love it.

He took a proctored practice SAT and got just under a 1400. This week the new school uses an interim assessment for the annual state test. He has had perfect score for three years put the interim provides the full score which was almost 10% above perfect.

But finally, and my proudest moment, a kid was so jealous of his arrival in the program that he sent around A VERY sexually explicit story to 28 kids in their class with a lot of gay themes etc. about my son and the friend he thought he was losing because my nerd son is so cool. 5 kids told their parents, 5 parents told the school, and he was kicked out of the program within 48 hours and before I even knew. And DS (after I explained what was written) was laughing about the grammar and metaphors in the story within an hour. No damage.

O
    O
    My eldest just let me know he's entering an MBA program after the first of the year. In and of itself, that's not a huge thing among this group, however, he already has completed an undergrand degree in both a BS in Electrical Engineering this last spring and a BS in Physics previously. He's already doing wonderfully in a very large engineering consulting company, with the addition of the MBA to his already strong knowledge base I see a very bright future. The company he works for will pay for the MBA so long as he stays at the company for at least 2 years after he attains it. As they have branches all over the country, that should be doable.

While all of that is wonderful, what I'm proud of isn't the knowledge he's gained but rather a few other achievements.

1. He's come to understand that sometimes, you just have to do whatever it takes to get the job done. If that means pulling an all nighter, so be it.
    2. He no longer has any delusions of the world being fair and it bothers him little when it's not toward him, he still pushes for it for others. He understands that his success ultimately is dependent upon himself, not the world around him.
    3. He's found an intellectual equal who is also an extremely hard worker, accomplished academically, athletically, and quickly becoming so professionally, in her mind failure is never an option Probably part of her upbringing in Russia....and he married her. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with an undergrad in Accountancy and earned her Masters in the same in one additional year.

These two are dangerous together....in a good way.

I
    I
    It appears that you raised a fine son; job well done! Let the happiness ensue.
    smile

Thank you for sharing this happy and inspiring news.

Page 261 of 268 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM