Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi,

My DD is 7.5 years old and is in the 2nd grade. She has taken the NWEA test twice now, once in Spring 2011 (First Grade) and once in Fall 2011 (Second Grade).

I received the test results and am not sure if I should be considering that she might be gifted. She is a normal 7 year old girl, silly, well behaved, has her moments for sure. No problems at school or socially.

Her test results were:

Mathematics
    Spring 2011 1st Grade: RIT 195 90%
    Fall 2011 2nd Grade: RIT 210 99%

Reading:
    Spring 2011 1st Grade RIT 203 96%
    Fall 2011 2nd Grade RIT 213 99%
    Lexile Range: 741-891

I thought that she might need to have more challenging work at home, I was under the impression that a child could not score higher then 99% on this test but the teacher (whom I love) told me that she can do higher on the test and is fine at her current classwork level.

Is this accurate? Should I be doing something? I just feel so confused by what this all means, the teacher seems to indicate it means nothing at all, except that she is smart and does well at school.

Help!

Thanks!
    Kelly

The NWEA MAP tests are not intelligence tests... they measure where the child is at in the various subjects (math, science & reading.) Some school districts will use the MAP scores as part of a GT evaluation, some don't. Her scores are great, and her lexile range is higher than normal for 2nd grade. A 2nd grade books are usually going to be around 450-600L. Unless she seems bored, or is acting out I wouldn't worry too much. You might want to check with the school and find out what GT services they offer. A lot of schools around here don't offer them until 3rd grade.

~amy
    Look at Appendix B to find your DD's scores. NWEA 2011 MAP norms

With scores in the 99% for grade, it is sometimes more useful/meaningful to see where the score lands in higher grades. So, taking the most recent scores, it looks like your DD would still score in the 90+% range for 3rd graders too. Here is another link showing what types of things your child is ready for based on the MAP scores. MAP RIT learning ladders

It does look like your DD's scores on the 2011 norms are not the very highest for 2nd grade, but they're very high and that is not meaningless. But the scores don't matter so much if your DD is in fact getting appropriately challenging materials at school. That said, are you feeling like your DD is underchallenged at school? You could print out the charts from the second link and ask your DD's teacher about them. (E.g., "I understand from these MAP scores that my DD is ready for this type of work. Is this sort of thing being taught?)

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you so much for the helpful charts and information. Based on my research I do not think out school district has any GT programs. I looked at that learning ladder and there is no way that the school she is in will be challenging her on those levels, so I think I am going to find some things for her to do at home and see how the rest of her testing goes this year. If she continues to stay in the 99th percentile then I will talk to student services and find out if I have any options available. Thank you for helping explain this to me, my DD has always been really bright and I feel like I can't ever really even acknowledge it or talk about it to anyone. Its a very strange and sad feeling.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM