Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #118116 12/13/11 09:24 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    DD4 (now 5) was given the RIAS to get into the gifted program in our district.
    She made as follows:
    Verbal : 149; Nonverbal: >160; Composite Index: >160 = 30 points for total

What does the 30 point thing mean?

They also gave another test and we got these results. I'm not sure what it was or what it means...
    L-W: >99.9 %ile; Applied Probs: 99th %ile; Acad Knowledge: 98th %ile = 30 points

I saw that they don't take the RIAS to get into the DYS. Should I have her retested? We looked into getting the WPPSI, but it was super expensive. Would it be good for a kid like her? I'm not really sure what to do with these results. Skip a grade? Private school? Help!
    We're supposed to have a meeting to discuss what these numbers mean at some point, but they are dragging their feet!

Originally Posted by EBennett
    DD4 (now 5) was given the RIAS to get into the gifted program in our district.
    ...I saw that they don't take the RIAS to get into the DYS. Should I have her retested? We looked into getting the WPPSI, but it was super expensive.
    heres from the website:
    Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scales (RIAS)
    Cecil R. Reynolds, Ph.D., and Randy W. Kamphaus, Ph.D.

Here is a comprehensive and cost-effective intelligence test--a reliable instrument that gives clinicians the information they need to make decisions about classification, selection, and educational placement.

The RIAS is an individually administered test of intelligence appropriate for ages 3 through 94 years, which includes a co-normed, supplemental measure of memory. The RIAS includes a two-subtest Verbal Intelligence Index (VIX), a two-subtest Nonverbal Intelligence Index (NIX), and a Composite Intelligence Index (CIX). The CIX assesses overall general intelligence, including the ability to reason, solve problems, and learn. The VIX assesses verbal intelligence by measuring verbal problem solving and verbal reasoning where acquired knowledge and skills are important. The NIX assesses nonverbal intelligence by measuring reasoning and spatial ability, using novel situations and stimuli that are predominantly nonverbal. Administration of the four intelligence subtests by a trained, experienced examiner requires approximately 20 to 25 minutes.A Composite Memory Index (CMX) can be derived from the two supplementary memory subtests, Verbal Memory and Nonverbal Memory. The Verbal Memory subtest provides a basic, overall measure of short-term memory skills (e.g., working memory, short-term memory, learning) and assesses recall in the verbal domain. The Nonverbal Memory subtest measures the ability to recall pictorial stimuli in both concrete and abstract dimensions. These short-term memory assessments require approximately 10 minutes of additional testing time.

So my guess is that the test is 'too short' to be a DYS qualifying test, but the scores indicate that she is the kind of kid that they are looking to identify. I would steer clear of the WPPSI as she is too old and too gifted to get a score that would truely reflect her IQ. When she turns 6 you can get a WISC, or get a SB V now, but if your goal is to apply to DYS, I would recommend getting an Achievement test - they are cheaper - and using the RIAS plus the achievement test to create a portfolio (assuming that the achievement test scores support the application.)

As for getting the school to stop dragging it's feet - have you requested a meeting in writing (not email, a real letter) yet? That seems to help, and cc the whole world.

As for gradeskips, and what to do with her, unfortunately a test can't provide that sort of information, it can only back up observations. So post more about what behaviors you see that make you suspect that she might need something other than what the school usually offers. A really good book that outlines all the possible ways to accomidate a child is

Re-forming ( Reforming ) Gifted Education: How Parents and ...www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10044.aspxCached - Similar
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    BOOK REVIEW (Davidson Institute) - A review of The Re-forming of Gifted Education by Karen Rogers

Also download and print out this excellent resource and start chewing!
    http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/Guidebooks/Davidson_Guidebook_Advocating.pdf

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    I'd try to get more information about the second test they gave her b/c some of what you posted sounds like it might have been a DYS accepted achievement test like the WJ or WIAT. See if you can find out what test it was and get a more complete printout of info if it is one DYS will accept.

Secondly, I'd suspect that the "30 points" thing is somehow related to the school's GT identification process. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that they give a certain # of points for hitting a certain spot on the test (98th percentile=x number of points, 99th=y number of points, etc.). She obviously qualifies for a gifted designation regardless of their cut point.

If the achievement scores from the district qualify for DYS, you could always try applying via portfolio. Maybe they'd help you with paying for the SB or WISC (when she's old enough) if she seems like a strong candidate.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by EBennett
    They also gave another test and we got these results. I'm not sure what it was or what it means...
    L-W: >99.9 %ile; Applied Probs: 99th %ile; Acad Knowledge: 98th %ile = 30 points

Best guess is Woodcock Johnson III (an achievement test).

Test 1: Letter-Word Identification Reading
    Reading decoding
    Feature detection and analysis (for letters) and recognition of visual word forms and/or phonological access to pronunciations
    associated with visual word forms (i.e., words may or may not be familiar)

Test 10: Applied Problems Mathematics
    Quantitative reasoning
    Math achievement
    Math knowledge
    Construction of mental mathematics models via language comprehension, application of math knowledge, calculation
    skills, and/or quantitative reasoning; formation of insight

Test 19: Academic Knowledge General
    General information
    Science information
    Cultural information
    Geography achievement
    Implicit, declarative category-specific memory

Best guess for the points is that the school assigns a certain number of points (1-10) to each measure, and your DD topped out on all 6 measures, so got maximum possible points.

FWIW, they don't appear to have administered enough subtests for those scores to be useful for DYS, even though the WJ-III is a DYS-qualifying test.

How's she doing in kindergarten? That would tell me more about what to do with her than just the numbers.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you so much for your insight. It would be awesome if it is a qualifying test. I should know after we have our meeting. They've promised us sometime in January. I could just submit a portfolio with that then to DYS, right? I really need some guidance in what to do about her education.
    She's still in preschool--she just turned 5 days ago. She's going to be an older kindergartener when she goes next fall.
    RIght now, she's reading at least at a third-grade level, can add, subtract, multiply. I explained how multiplication worked one day and from then on, she could do it. We've never done flashcards or anything. Bizarre. Gets fractions, too. Understands even and odd and has a grasp on prime numbers. (Don't ask how we got on to that subject one day...) She's sort of quiet at school, I think, but is very chatty everywhere else.

J
    J
    My son got scores like that also- 150 verbal, over 160 non-verbal and over 160 total. DYS doesn't accept the RIAS, nor does our local G/T program. Our gifted program did accept his Raven test where he got > 99.1%

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you so much for all your help. I will check into those book recommendations and steer clear of the WPPSI!
    I'd like to get her into the DYS sooner rather than later (if she qualifies) because I am so confused about what to do in terms of school. Our district has a pull-out gifted program once a week, but I don't think it's going to be enough, so I am wondering about skipping grades. We have thought about applying to a private school that seems to accelerate kids in some areas, but I haven't talked to them about her scores, abilities, personality, etc., to see if she would be a good fit. It costs a lot and I want to make sure that it would be worth the sacrifice to our family. It's so hard to know what the right thing is.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Fantastic! So good to know what the "30" means. I'm going to get a printout when we have our meeting. That is a good idea about applying via portfolio.
    It's so nice to "talk" to people about this kind of stuff because you can't tell anybody irl! Sigh.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Our district gave her the RIAS, so that was our one free test.
    Did you wind up applying to the DYS?

U
    U
    Just for the sake of comparison, my DD7 got much lower (as in a good 20 points lower, but still gifted) scores on the RIAS and is steaming through the curriculum at a gifted school. She could probably even be skipped in terms of curriculum, but it isn't a good choice for her in other ways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM