Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Sorry--those numbers are from another study I have bookmarked--I am actually not familiar with the AMC stuff. I could dig it up in a bit.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I think the key point to be aware of is that even when there are statistically robust differences between male and female brains (and many of the best known ones are mythical) the intra-sex variation is in (practically? I know no exceptions) every case greater than the inter-sex variation, which makes the finding of very limited usefulness when it comes to dealing with individuals.

Hi ColinsMum, thanks for reposting the link � I had seen it smile

The book I was referring to isn�t a popular science book, it�s an introductory neuroscience textbook. Ultimately it supports what you�re saying � that intra sex variation is greater than inter sex variation. However, while the authors� do reference the Shaywitz study on laterality mentioned in the articles you linked to, it also refers to a number of studies and literature reviews as its basis for the claim that it seems that there does seem to be at least preliminary evidence of sex differences in laterality, including a review of 266 different studies on laterality effects in males and females. Ultimately the authors� conclusion was that while there was not conclusive evidence that differences exist, �the frequency as well as the consistency of reports of sex differences in cerebral organization, however, lead us to accept their reality at least as a working hypothesis. The strength of the case, in our opinion, rests on the diversity of methodologies (clinical studies, behavioural research, neuroimgaging) that point to the same conclusion: females are less lateralised than males�. They go on to say �This consistency in the direction of asymmetries that are reported suggest that there are true sex differences that are small in magnitude and easily masked by individual variability or other factors that may not be controlled�. However the book is over 10 years old and perhaps the later studies referred to in the Springer articles put paid to those referred to in to the book.

In terms of buying in to myths, I don�t believe for a second that women are less capable than men in maths and science, I absolutely agree that social rather than biological causes have been a work in holding women back in these domains in the past. I don�t at all believe that woman are less intelligent than men. However, what is apparent to me from the small amount of reading I have done on the topic is just how little we know about the brain at all. My main point, which I suspect I mangled the delivery of, is that it does seems to me that if there is a possibility that there are differences in the way men and women�s brains work then ignoring or denying that is counterproductive to ensuring women have access the best opportunities in life. Difference isn�t a bad thing in and of itself, it is only a problem if it�s used to further someone�s ideological agenda.

Last edited by Giftodd; 12/14/11 08:39 PM. Reason: Fixing failed emoticon (the resulting combination of symbols made it look like I was swearing - hope no one took offense!)

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    JonLaw, with all due respect, I really don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that women's brains have physically shrunk or gotten stupider or anything due to sexism and are now "catching up."

I thought the article was saying that the female brain shrinks 4% during pregnancy and then returns to normal size after the baby is born.

That doesn't have anything to do with sexism, although it does have something to do with sex.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Male and female brains are different, as explained in the following article.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/how-male-female-brains-differ
    How Male and Female Brains Differ
    Researchers reveal sex differences in the brain's form and function.

Here is the paper that I think the WebMD article is based on.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289611001206
    Intelligence
    Volume 40, Issue 1, January–February 2012, Pages 60-68
    Sex differences in brain volume are related to specific skills, not to
    general intelligence
    Miguel Burgaleta, Kevin Head, Juan �lvarez-Linera, Kenia Mart�nez,
    Sergio Escorial, Richard Haier, Roberto Colom
    Received 26 April 2011; revised 27 October 2011; Accepted 27 October
    2011. Available online 29 November 2011.
    Abstract
    It has been proposed that males would show higher mean scores than
    females in general intelligence (g) because (1) men have, on average,
    larger brains than women, and (2) brain volume correlates with g. Here
    we report a failure to support the conclusion derived from these
    premises. High resolution MRIs were acquired in a sample of one
    hundred healthy young participants for estimating total, gray, and
    white matter volumes. Participants also completed an intelligence
    battery – comprising tests measuring abstract, verbal, and spatial
    abilities – that allowed the extraction of g scores. Results showed
    consistent relations between sex differences in brain volumes and
    non-g spatial and verbal skills but not for g.

Charles Murray's comments are at http://blog.american.com/2011/12/a-...nding-male-female-cognitive-differences/

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    On average, men have better spatial skills--this does seem to be the case and I won't argue it. However, a great deal of research shows that spatial skills can be easily improved through training. So were the differences due to innate ability or to boys' and men's greater exposure to spatial tasks, such as building with blocks and Lego and video games? I don't actually know if training can change amounts of gray and white matter.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Ah, well--that wasn't hard to find:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0002669

"Recently, activation-dependant structural brain plasticity in humans has been demonstrated in adults after three months of training a visio-motor skill. Learning three-ball cascade juggling was associated with a transient and highly selective increase in brain gray matter in the occipito-temporal cortex comprising the motion sensitive area hMT/V5 bilaterally."

more user-friendly:

http://classic.the-scientist.com/news/display/55830/

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/06/12 12:40 PM.
    Sounds right. Don't London cabbies grow to have ginormous geographic-mapping centers in their brains after years of practice winding through their city's streets? I seem to remember a threefold increase in size.

ETA: Hmm.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    That's pretty wild about them cab drivers. It totally sounds like it makes sense.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Oh yes, of course, individual brain development is very plastic. But that is not the same thing as saying that within 20 years, the female brain has been able to evolve so drastically such that while very high-scoring boys once outnumbered girls 20 to 1 on math tests, they now outnumber them only 3 to 1.

You may find interesting the article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/education/10math.html
    Math Skills Suffer in U.S., Study Finds
    By SARA RIMER
    New York Times
    October 10, 2008

The United States is failing to develop the math skills of both girls and boys, especially among those who could excel at the highest levels, a new study asserts, and girls who do succeed in the field are almost all immigrants or the daughters of immigrants from countries where mathematics is more highly valued.

The study suggests that while many girls have exceptional talent in math � the talent to become top math researchers, scientists and engineers � they are rarely identified in the United States. A major reason, according to the study, is that American culture does not highly value talent in math, and so discourages girls � and boys, for that matter � from excelling in the field. The study will be published Friday in Notices of the American Mathematical Society.

<end of excerpt>

The report being discussed is

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/10math_report.pdf
    Cross-Cultural Analysis of Students with Exceptional Talent in Mathematical Problem Solving
    by Titu Andreescu, Joseph A. Gallian, Jonathan M. Kane,
    and Janet E. Mertz

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM