Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    yannam #118487 12/19/11 01:35 PM
    B
    B
    Even starting at Azkaban the movies were rushed, with so many details and backstories dropped that I wonder how people who haven't read the books understand what's going on.

sydness #118496 12/19/11 03:54 PM
    Originally Posted by sydness
    She is 9 now and still hasn't found a series she has enjoyed so much. The problem with HP is that not many other books compare and it is hard to find another series. I also think there is some loyalty to the books. Like, moving to another series suggests she is over HP, which she is not. smile

Try Diana Wynn Jone's Crestomancy books, and if she hasn't read 'A wrinkle in time' L'Engle that's a classic. Stephanie Toland has a book list for gifted 8 year olds that might have a few ideas. I enjoyed the whole 'Ender's Game' series.
    Smiles
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    yannam #118653 12/21/11 01:52 PM
    Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    DD started reading the book and enjoying it, she keeps asking 1-2 times a day to name you know who and after I tell her she teases me that bad things are going to happen, she is midway through, hopefully she will finish before christmas.
    thanks for the support

yannam #119578 01/08/12 10:39 AM
    S
    S
    Here's an interesting article about the series and impact on reading in kids:
    http://www.scholastic.com/aboutscholastic/news/press_07252006_CP.htm

It's hard to stop them once they start reading! We managed to hold off until age8 for book 1, with the hope of stopping and waiting awhile for the next ones. Well, he breezed through books 1-3 in a matter of weeks so our plan was blown away! We made him wait until this year for book 4 (age9) now he's been begging for 5. I'm worried about 5 since Sirius dies in that one-I think this will really affect him so I am holding off on that one as long as I can! Sensitivity comes into play with books 4-7. Good luck in the new venture!

yannam #119857 01/11/12 11:51 PM
    J
    J
    A great site for HP activites that we used when my son read the first book is at http://www.mce.k12tn.net/reading18/harry_potter.htm
    It has an activity for almost every chapter and also a little reading comprehension quiz.
    My son read book on in the HP series at 6 too. He still loves to be read to and i believe children that age should still be read to no matter how bright. (And of course on their own too) So anyway, we read it together, He read one page and then I'd read the next and so on. We still read that way, he's seven now, and has read the first 4 and a half and lost interest because of all the parts about girls and boys and just being frustrated at the story at that point..because the things that happen at that point make you mad. : )

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM