Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    yannam #117966 12/11/11 05:41 AM
    Originally Posted by yannam
    My DD's teacher recommended her to read HP.DD6 is in 2ndgrade and her guided reading level is R in the recent testing. Though she read several over 200 pages books (like Roald Dahl books),but none with so many charecters in the story plot.

You might wany to try a few shorter transitional books books together first such as Phantom Tollbooth, The Giver or A Wrinkle in Time.

Best wishes
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    yannam #117967 12/11/11 05:46 AM
    Mine couldn't handle scary or sad until the age of 12. Needless to say we had a difficult time with books and movies. She finally took on Harry Potter at 12 and devoured the series.

yannam #117971 12/11/11 06:54 AM
    B
    B
    My ds started the serious at 6- reading is favorite thing and does it constantly. My dd who is not a big reader started it this year at 7. So your dd should be fine.

yannam #117974 12/11/11 07:59 AM
    T
    T
    I think that age is fine as long as your child can handle different scenarios and emotions. I do agree the books and movies get a lot more adult in nature the closer you get to the end. Maybe read a portion of the first one with her to make sure she isn't getting overwhelmed? My son and I read the first one aloud with each other at 4 1/2 but after that he continued to read a few of them over K and 1st. He hasn't finished them, or the movies as he's followed other books of greater interest the last few years.
    Good luck with your decision!

yannam #117999 12/12/11 07:12 AM
    I'm reading the series to my own DD6 as bedtime reading. We're on our third one right now. We just finished watching the full movie series this past weekend, but she has always been reading behind what she has seen on the screen. This means she has already been exposed to the scary bits, so she knows how she'll handle it, and she already knows how it'll turn out when we read it.

One huge advantage to doing it this way is she notices how different the book experience is from the movie, which reinforces how books are superior to movies... not a bad lesson to learn at such an early age.

I occasionally stop reading to ask her questions about how she's following along. It's pretty clear that she's not thinking deeply about the reading, because she's six, so she's just sort of allowing the story to lead her along... which is fine. But it's also clear that she's keeping up with the story and the characters, so no worries there.

yannam #118001 12/12/11 07:23 AM
    M
    M
    We waited until DD was 8.
    She's a little bit on the sensitive side, and we had some sadness and tears with books 6 and 7. She also likes to read right before she goes to bed, so I was a little concerned about bad dreams.

She read them all in one summer. Once they get started with this series, they go go go. She would not have wanted to stop with the early books.

Six might be a little young to handle the later books, but I guess it really depends on the child.

yannam #118002 12/12/11 07:33 AM
    P
    P
    My DD7 finished HP before she turned 7. She read Percy Jackson series and was bored after that and turned to HP. She was not too keen on reading classics like a tale of 2 cities, etc...

She was not intimidated by all those scary scenario (I was afraid of that in book 5 and 6). Recommended does not mean that you have to but if your DD's school has AR (accelerated reading) program, those HP books will earn plenty of AR point :-)

Your DD may start with Percy Jackson series which is a great read as well.

yannam #118003 12/12/11 07:35 AM
    S
    S
    My older son has tried and tried to get into them but he is a Percy Jackson fan and never has been able to get into HP although he has watched the movies.

My younger son will probably start in on them this summer at 7 and a half (he has seen some but not all of the movies).

My husband and I LOVED the books and it is disappointing that the boys haven't loved it as much as we did. Well we don't know if ds7 will be as thrilled as we were yet.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    yannam #118005 12/12/11 08:28 AM
    A
    A
    My DD8 (who is a huge Percy Jackson fan) is just now reading the HP books. She's seen all of the movies, but it took her longer than I'd have expected to get around to reading the books.

yannam #118010 12/12/11 01:43 PM
    Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    We are planning to read the first book during her holidays, i was thinking she could do some activities related to book...
    coat of arms of school and school mascot are couple of them, her school has only school mascot, i do not know whether they have coat of arms....
    any suggestions on fun activities related to those books (no video games please)... appreciate your suggesions

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM