Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 65 of 268 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 267 268
    B
    B
    That is one of the reasons I still love my baby monitor (even though DS is 4 now). You hear some pretty cool stuff sometimes.

I have one. We were at a restaurant with some friends and the kids were playing in one of those rooms with the slides and stuff. There is also a huge globe in there. It is a 'kiddy' globe in that it is quite simplistic but, DS still loves it.

I went and got DS because we were all going up to get some ice cream and walked by one of the dads. He asked me if DS was mine and I said yes. I was thinking "oh no, now what did he do?" The guy said, "He is amazing!" I kind of looked at him like, OK?? He said, "He was in there telling me all the countries and where they should be on that globe in there!" I just laughed and said, "yeah, he likes countries."

His speech must be getting a lot better. 8)

Of course, we let them go play again and then I got comments he was knocking kids down. (ooops...he is really big for his age and I think sometimes he doesn't realize it. He is like a great dane that thinks he is a lap dog, ha ha.)

I was reading DS 4 his favorite Poo bear story.

"Poo bear fell 10 feet to the branch below.."

"That's 120 inches!"

"Yes, that's um right...then he fell 30 feet to the next branch.."

"That's 360 inches!"

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Zanzi
    I was reading DS 4 his favorite Poo bear story.

"Poo bear fell 10 feet to the branch below.."

"That's 120 inches!"

"Yes, that's um right...then he fell 30 feet to the next branch.."

"That's 360 inches!"
    Lol, I remember my DS doing exactly that. Maybe it should get added into those "you know you have a gifted child when" lists - much more informative than when they believe in the tooth fairy :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    The only way to get him to go to the toilet is to give him a 'maths challenge'. It's harder than you'd think to come up with them, considering you need to know the answer yourself. We've moved to algebra but I feel like I need to start multiplying fractions, in which case I'll need to hide a calculator in my back pocket so I don't look like I'm clueless.

M
    M
    Took the lads to the optometrist today for their annual checkup. The doctor asked Chico (4) if he wanted to look at letters or pictures (I didn't tell her he could read already); he said, "well, that depends. Do the letters have serifs, or not?" which I found amusing. Then when she was taking a picture of the back of his eye, he looked at the green and purple flashes and said, "oh no, alien probes!"

Groucho (6) insisted on reading the letters, not one at a time, but as "words". After several strings of pretty miscellaneous consonants, he said, "what language is this? Hungarian? It at least looks like something Finno-Ugric to me."

Harpo (8) just did his usual quiz about how every single machine in the place worked.

I'm glad the doctor puts up with us! She's a bit eccentric herself, which is very nice.

Lots of great stories since last time I was here! Hello and welcome to all the new folks!

peace
    minnie

Grandad was over... the one who was dad of the PG dad of my kid... that one...

He spent about two hours taking pics of DS doing things he's been doing for months and being surprised by how early he's doing things.

I *will* loose my mind if DS is smarter than his dad, but I think it's more likely that some of my family's physicality is what's actually showing. I noticed that he was not surprised that DS is into numbers or is talking, it was mostly fine motor stuff that threw him.

In any case it was pretty funny. (esp since grandad keeps telling us how we're doing everything wrong ;))

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Originally Posted by Zanzi
    The only way to get him to go to the toilet is to give him a 'maths challenge'.

LOL!

When Mr W starts squirming I launch into "what word begins with the letter.." and I have his total attention.

M
    M
    Don't know if this belongs here as it's more about my feelings.

Some of you may remember about DD having a chronic medical condition and moving away to university 2 months ago. Well she drove home yesterday for a flying visit and I am just so proud of her. I have always been amazed by her confidence and adaptability but what really struck me this time is her focus. Perhaps it's due to the fact that a lot of kids her age these days don't really know what they want to do. She loves doing Psychology and has said she will do either an honours year or postgraduate study, I was half aware of her desire to do that, and then she said she is determined to join the armed forces, most likely the army, and use her skills there.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Pleased to hear how well your DD is doing matmum smile

DH and I realized, within a day or two of each other, that DD 3 yrs 2 mos knows simple addition and subtraction.

I asked, "If you have two apples and one orange, how many pieces of fruit do you have? What if you also get a banana, then how many?" She got all my little questions correct.

DH told her a bed time story about five magic jumping beans. While describing in great detail people eating a bean and having some big adventure, he paused to ask, "Do you know how many beans were left?" DD said, "Two! Who's going to get them Daddy?"

We're surprised because we have not attempted addition and subtraction at home before.

Page 65 of 268 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM