Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 197 of 268 1 2 195 196 197 198 199 267 268
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Wow, that's amazing! I haven't heard of subtracting that early; my mathy one was counting and adding by 12 months, but not subtracting until two. Fantastic!

I'll tell DH. He thinks it doesn't count because it's only for small numbers. confused

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    DD5 started dance camp today and apparently they sorted her into the 9+ group. she came out shining and happy and totally herself - it was really nice to see, after the year she's had.

Such great news that her needs were recognized and she meshed with the group!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    DD5 started dance camp today and apparently they sorted her into the 9+ group. she came out shining and happy and totally herself - it was really nice to see, after the year she's had.

Such great news that her needs were recognized and she meshed with the group!

they really are so great at her dance. if she hadn't had her dance teachers last year looking out for her and moving her up... not only would she have quit entirely, i really think it would have been hello loony bin. i literally can't say enough good stuff about those women - they really, really get it.

and ps - subtraction! seriously - YES. that's awesome.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Not a brag, but an observation... My DS16m has started to really enjoy looking through books. Today he sat on my lap for half an hour looking through an 'ABC' book. He could name most of the objects. Then he went off to find the objects and bring them back to me, and would turn to the correct page. He was also noticing colours and said "red" to a red car. He's loved books since he was two months old, but lately he just seems mesmerized. It's cool when you can see that switch flick.

A
    A
    That is exciting, squishys! There really are discrete jumps at that age, with interest turning on like a light switch. It keeps us parents on our toes!

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Yes, it is an exciting time. I remember my eldest switching on at this point with interests in hobbies (like using the computer, building structures, etc), then at 20 months he really went from baby to kid with language and general behaviour. I'm really looking forward to that stage; 20 months to three years is probably my favourite stage of development. It's easy enough for me to keep up with, and less expensive for fulfilling activities lol.

D
    D
    this is probably only fun for the swimming nerds, but DD5 just started learning front crawl with me in her grandparents' pool. lesson one, she got her arms out. lesson two, she got the breathing. lesson three, she corrected a cross-over, added an effective flutter kick and zipped up and back completely unassisted.

after this success she looks me gravely and says, "it seems they weren't really teaching me at all during the school lessons. i like the way you actually explain what i can do better."

er - yay (?)

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    Wasn't sure if DS3.4 could spell since he's our "closet giftie" who hides his talents but I actually managed to catch him on camera with my phone today playing a spelling game on Kindle where he was spelling words like ... starfish, spider, tiger, toad, zebra, turtle ... made momma proud! smile

A
    A
    Yeah MK and doubtfulguest!

K
    K
    DS4 's piano teacher of two years has moved and he is devastated. She is young and beautiful and he has a major crush on her. Today he had his first
    lesson with his new much older and experienced teacher. I expected a bad
    report but apparently he really showed her what he can do. She says he is very advanced and plays amazingly well.

Page 197 of 268 1 2 195 196 197 198 199 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM