Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Agree, I'd replace the homework with something level-appropriate.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Replacing the homework was my initial request. I felt like it was reasonable and not overly demanding of the teacher. So I was surprised when she was so adamantly against it.

I guess I was kind of blindsided, I stupidly expected she would be interested in working with me to challenge him appropriately. My parents were both teachers and I really feel like they would have responded more positively to a request like mine.

At this point, I feel ike she has stated her position clearly more than once and I am not sure that discussing it further will change her mind. So I am trying to decide what my next step is.

I would at least go over her head to the Principal (or subject supervisor). Take examples of what your child is doing at home, explain how upset your child is by the homework being given, and make it clear that you will not have your child do busy work that has no point, nor will you have your child do extra work (the regular homework plus additional work).

My DS's second grade teacher pulled the same thing. After several discussions with her that got us no where (she started sending extra work home with him, so he now had twice as much homework, and none of it was at the right level), I told him he didn't have to do any of it. He is too much of a rule follower and was afraid to not do his homework, but at that point I went to the Principal and started down the path to subject acceleration.

Of course, if the homework only takes 2 minutes and isn't upsetting him, it may not be worth the discussion (although I would argue it may be worth it, since it appears this teacher has absolutely no clue).

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    OK, so here's my next step. I just sent an email to the school GT coordinator. I was super nice, did not outright criticize the teacher, but just said that she has let me know that there is nothing else within the classroom that she is willing to do and that she said no to giving him different homework. Given that, I asked if there were other enrichment possibilities in the school and if there aren't could some arrangements be made to provide some (which I offered to help out with). And if nothing else can be done at school, could she give me some ideas of what to do at home, although I would prefer to have something at school since our time after school is limited. I also asked when the CogAT scores would be in since that might provide some insight into what my son needs.

I don't know if this will get me anywhere, but it seemed like something to try before going to the principal, who has not been all that helpful in previous interactions about other things. In theory, the GT teacher is supposed to be responsible for all grade levels, not just the already identified kids. So, we'll see. I think maybe I am being to nice, but I will start with that and amp things up if I need to.

I think this is a good step. Generally I have found it best to tread lightly (but without backing down) and also give people ways to save face. Good luck.

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the support Catalana and everyone else too. I'll update when I hear back. smile

Last edited by LNEsMom; 12/08/11 10:36 PM.
    L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    OK, so I heard back from the GT teacher and actually spoke to her very briefly after school today and I will say that I am cautiously optimistic.

She said that our district and school are dedicated to providing differentiation and that if my DS is showing mastery then he should be provided more complex activities that still adhere to the curriculum content.

However, she recognized that individual teachers may not be fully implementing this and promised to look into my son's situation and find out what is going on in his classroom specifically. Now, I am not sure what she will find, because the descriptions I have gotten from both the teacher and my DS are very vague. But my understanding of the current practice is that the advanced students have to go through what everyone else does (which they do much more quickly of course) and then are given somewhat more complex activities (playing Top It with 2 digit rather than single digit numbers) while the teacher spends more time with the other students. I have never seen a pretest or a post test, or any math activity except for the returned homework which is not even graded. Although, I get a seemingly endless stream of various spelling/literacy/writing work done in class!

I am going to call her again on Monday to follow up, but I am encouraged that she at least said she would look into it and that he should be receiving higher level work (again the question is how much higher). I am fine with enrichment that is deeper rather than more advanced, actually, as long as it truly meets his needs by providing opportunities to exercise a greater degree of reasoning etc. Going from 1 digit to 2 digit addition/subtraction is not my idea of greater depth, though. Especially when he is perfectly capable of doing 3+ digit problems easily.

So hopefully she will be able to get some changes made in the class. We shall see!

We will keep our fingers crossed for you - let us know how it goes.

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    Hi LNEsMom,

1. Does your DS's classroom have computers? If so, will the teacher allow DS to use online math sites for enrichment?

2. Will it be possible for your DS to bring level appropriated math material from home that he can work on once he has completed his math assignment (or better yet, in place of the regular assignment)? Our teacher agreed to this arrangement. However, DD7 is still required to take the same weekly math test with the rest of the group so she can get her math grade. We found this approach to be more easily accepted by the teachers because parents are providing the material/reviewing with the kids, i.e. little to no additional work for the teacher.

3. It is great that the GT teacher is helping out. Do you also have a GT coordinator in your school district? For us, she was a great help.... perhaps it might help just chatting with him/her to see what has been done for other students in the similar situation in the past.

4. We did not battle about the math homework. It took DD 5 minutes to complete her homework. In her opinion, the homework is not challenging and she is not learning anything. But, hey, more time for her to read and to play.

Good luck!
    Mag

Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    So, I could use some advice on how to advocate for my DS8 (2nd grade). I am trying to get some math enrichment for him and have thus far been unsuccessful with the classroom teacher. First, let me say, I am unsure of his LoG. Private testing is not an option financially right now and our school does not do MAP testing or any out of grade level testing. The only standardized testing he has taken is the CogAT (which is the first step towards GT id), but we have not received the results yet. However, he definitely fits the gifted definitions I have found. His real strength, IMO, is logic and reasoning so he just needs to be introduced to a math concept and picks it up almost immediately. He also shows a real knack for applying what he knows to new situations/scenarios. I have no doubt that given the opportunity he could be working a couple of grade levels ahead. What limited assessments he does receive from the school show him at the top of the curve and "secure" on all concepts presented including the ones they are not expected to be secure on yet. If our school had a pull out math enrichment program, it would be a no brainer. But there isn't. GT program doesn't start until 3rd and there is also an accelerated math starting then too.

So I am left with advocating for him with the classroom teacher, which has thus far gotten me nowhere. She insists that she is already differentiating for him and it appears she feels nothing else is needed. I asked if he could just get some different worksheets for homework (which is not graded anyway). She said he is welcome to turn in additional worksheets, but he still needs to do the regular homework.(I don't want him to have MORE homework, just more challenging work. He has OT one night a week, wrestling, which helps with his SPD, two nights a week, and still fits in reading and spelling work)

When I told him about the PT conference, he asked me to ask the teacher if he could get some harder math. Now I feel like if I can't make that happen I will be letting him down.

DH thinks we should just let it go, enrich him at home more, and wait until next year. But his intensity and perfectionism often makes teaching him at home difficult for me and our schedule is already pretty full. Plus, the school's mission statement says "we will provide each child with curriculum that stimulates intellectual curiosity and leads him or her to develop into a productive and responsible citizen."

I know these mission statements are generally just words not practice, but I feel like they ought to be held to it. But I am not sure if I am ready to go over the teacher's head to the principal yet. DS had a really rough year last year with a really awful teacher and this one is a huge step up from that.

So, do I let it go? Or keep pushing? I am just not sure right now. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I prefer keep pushing. Many kids feel math is hard. Obviously, your kid is smart at math. Why let it go? DD has been using math pro on beestar. It offers online math worksheets. You can have your kid try the Gifted Talented Math. It is for math kids. Hope it helps.
    Lisa

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM