Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #117028 11/27/11 12:27 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My son is reading at end of third grade level. He is in 2nd grade now. I got his inview testing results with totla score 95%. How do I get total score for him. I;ve heard that ceiling is 140 +. But in his report all I could see is percentiles. Thanks for the help

C
    C
    The inview has a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 16, I believe. That would put the CSI (Cognitive Skills Index) at around 126 for the 95th percentile. Is there a reason you need to know the CSI and not just the composite percentile?

15 is a more common standard deviation on IQ tests now a days and a 95th percentile score on an IQ test with a SD of 15 would run about a 125, so a minor difference.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks. I thought CSI is the indicator for gifted testing. I am just wondering about getting him tested for gifted program. He has been reading one grade level higher since he was in pre-K. In our school district unless parent's push, students are not evaluated for GIEP. Only thing they do is sort them according to the reading level. But he is bored with math.

C
    C
    What type of testing do they do for consideration in the gifted programming and what type of score would he need on that test to be identified?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I have to find out. I believe it is WJ-III and/or WISC. They are the popular ones in this area. There is CTY (talent serach by john hopkins university).I am just undecided what to do. May be wait till 3rd grade?

C
    C
    I wouldn't push for IQ testing solely based on reading one grade level ahead of grade but if there are other indicators, it couldn't hurt to see how it comes out. I don't think that the reading level is the strongest data you have to make your argument, though. I say that b/c many typical children read a grade or even a few grades above grade level but are not gifted. Your school is likely to have a good number of kids who read above grade level unless it is a lower performing school.

The types of things I'd bring up in asking for testing would include any test scores that indicate multiple years above grade level (although you aren't likely to have lots of test scores this early in the game), behavioral indicators, early milestones if they were fairly atypically early (say speaking in multi word phrases before age one), teachers who may have suggested testing, the Inview test results if the 95th percentile was the composite score, etc.

As far as waiting until 3rd grade, do they test everyone then? Also, is there any option for math enrichment before then if you feel that is an area where he really isn't being appropriately challenged now?

Cricket2 #117335 11/30/11 09:43 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Appreciate your comments. They do test all the students every year in the elementary school. We live in a rural area but have a relatively good school district. But I am worried that my son is not challenegd enough. Today I got a letter from the school informing he is selectrd for CML program. They have considered his inview test, Q1 grades and reading level. Once a week he will get a math enrichment class. I am happy that he will get some enrichment at the school. I am not pushing for a GIEP. I've heard bored students could easily get into trouble.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM