Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Does anyone have World of Goo ?

Would a typical 8 year old enjoy it? My son loves gears and building things and the computer so it seems a great idea.

*edit* It's for my almost five year old.

Last edited by Ametrine; 11/28/11 05:31 PM. Reason: explanation
    P
    P
    Is anyone familiar with a robotic/programmable-like product that is between the Snap Circuits and the Lego Mindstorms? My DS 10 is too old for the former and I'm not sure he's $300 worth into the latter. Wondered if there was something in between where we could see if he was interested before buying the Mindstorms?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There are the motorized lego technics sets. They run about $100-$200 each. Not all the technic sets are motorized though, you really have to read the description. Some can be motorized but you have to buy the motor set separately. It's a bit confusing, IMO, but it's a nice step up from Legos without investing in Mindstorms. http://technic.lego.com/en-US/Default.aspx

(My DS7 has been telling everyone he asked Santa for Mindstorms so that's what he's getting for christmas! I hope he's not too sad christmas morning!! I wish he was willing to get over Santa alraedy!)

~amy
    DS8 is getting a video camera for his b'day which is on the 23rd. For Christmas he's getting video editing software. He loves making movies and has worn out our old camera and windows movie maker. Time to let him get a little more serious.

I bought "uberstix" for my little boys. They like legos but they aren't obsessed. My 6yo loves his erector set and this is along the same lines.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    P
    P
    We're also considering either a Kindle Fire or a Color Nook. Anyone have these and love or hate it?

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    I
    I
    My daughter is exclusively getting Plan Toys (eco-friendly wooden toys dyed with safe paint and not made in China). I am opening an eco-friendly products store and I ordered some for her.

I got her some things for fine motor skills (little screw on wooden pieces toys, cool water filled blocks, and these stringing beads) and I also got her a few play food items. I think she will be ready for those well before she turns 2. She is already copying most of what we do. She also got a rocking horse, but she isn't feeling it yet. I think she is too short. She can't even get on it.

I also got upper and lower case letters and some "fraction" puzzles because I have a limited budget right now for our Montessori home school supplies when we start and these and the motor skill ones work for that.

She just turned one and got some Green Toys (recycled milk cartons) stacking cups and a sand pail set. They were cool, too.

Last edited by islandofapples; 12/03/11 01:10 PM.
    Originally Posted by Ametrine

Would a typical 8 year old enjoy it? My son loves gears and building things and the computer so it seems a great idea.

for 8 yrs, world of goo is perfect...if you meant for a 5 year old...it might require a bit more coordination than most 5's have. but it is super fun. I loved it wink

Originally Posted by chris1234
    Originally Posted by Ametrine

for 8 yrs, world of goo is perfect...if you meant for a 5 year old...it might require a bit more coordination than most 5's have. but it is super fun. I loved it wink

My DS5 loves world of goo, the story or set up fascinates him, but it is hard, and he needs help as the levels progress but he seems ok with it. Although right now DH and DS are stuck on the explode the head one and the integration destination levels, but they just informed me that they almost have that one!!! The explode the head one my DH can't get and is so frustrated.

DS5's favorite that he can now do himself, although still gets stuck sometimes, is
    despicable me, can't take him to the movie but loves the app!!!

DeHe

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM