Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #116927 11/24/11 09:45 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Before I go searching on Amazon etc, I'm looking for input about PC games similar to Spore, which ds8 loves. Any recommendations ? We seem to have strayed away from computer games in favor of the Wii - but as we only have one TV, we can only do one thing at a time smile We're not huge game players - but something we would all enjoy and play on occasion ? I'm probably getting the Sims for my sister in law (who lives under the same roof and hangs out with ds on occasion) - so they can play that together. recommendations for other PC games, too, would be welcome, if there's anything that comes to mind. Anything with flying in it (that doesn't involve fighter planes ?) Thanks. if I find anything interesting on Amazon, I'll come back and share, too. Happy Thanksgiving !!

N
    N
    What kind of game is Spore?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Nautigal

DD has Spore Creatures for DS - you go around fighting and/or befriending alien beasties, being rewarded with body parts you can use to "evolve" yourself (get favorable attributes to help you survive the next world).

C
    C
    Minecraft is a big fav among gifted kids. My DS12 loves it. http://www.minecraft.net/

Philip Stone
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Nautigal

It's really fun - best explanation is here -
    http://www.spore.com/what

There is a Lego Universe online game that my DS7 has been playing. Part of it is free, but to access the whole thing requires a monthly subscription, he might like that. He also might like Black & White 2 - http://lionhead.com/Games/BW2/Default.aspx It's not a new game, really, but it's pretty fun. You play a diety and get to be either good or bad. You get to impact a world and it's inhabitants.

The Lego Universe site - http://universe.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx

~amy
    Portal is the game we are considering for DS8. It has been recommended to me by a few people who know DS. Like your son, DS loves spore, has all the add ons and has played it alot.
    http://www.thinkwithportals.com/ This is info on Portal 2. The origianl is cheaper now that the "2" is out.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Just FYI, I believe there are some curse words in portal. And possibly some inappropriate humor for little kids. Nothing they wouldn't hear in a middle school hallway, I'm sure.

~amy
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by CalvinsDad
    Minecraft is a big fav among gifted kids. My DS12 loves it. http://www.minecraft.net/

Question on minecraft...Does the download program need a fairly quick computer? My sons hand me down laptop isn't the quickest and won't run Lego Universe (for example), but he stumbled onto Minecraft youtube videos and now has been begging me to buy it for him. I was thinking of adding it to his computer for a Christmas present as it didn't look too high tech graphics wise. Do you think it would work? Also, I noticed you can purchase a code for online or download it. Which works best? Thanks to anyone who has dealt with this program.

P
    P
    FWIW our ds was once heavily addicted to Spore... and when he was tired of it and ready to move on he also asked for Portals and was really excited about it. I think this was about the time Portals 2 first came out but I can't remember for sure... we were never able to install it due to some hangup on our laptop (might be because it's a Mac?) and I also recall being a little concerned about something with it but can't remember what! It might have been that you have to be online to play it, but I don't remember for sure.

polarbear

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM