Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    It works now, thanks. Yay!

It looks so great, Grinity! Nice work! laugh

Kriston
    WMI and PSI:

short answer:
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    Working Memory Index and Processing Speed Index. In general though, they are memory and speed.
    long answer:
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    WMI is Working Memory Index, and the tasks in the WISC-IV require a child to recite random combinations numbers forward and backwards, and reorganize combinations of letters and numbers into ABC/123 order. Basically, it's a measure of how your brain can manipulate the data is has for that moment. (This is not the same as long term memory)

PSI is Processing Speed Index, and the tasks in the WISC-IV require a child to match certain symbols in a page of random data, and is somewhat a measure of hand/eye coordination, as well as speed. It also requires good fine motor skills and attention to the task at hand. The other task requires a child to translate a "code" into another form on a written sheet. Both subtests are timed.

TPS:The 'Transitive Property of Stupid.'

This is a logic error to which very young, unaccomidated, gifties are prone. It is occasionally seen in parents and teachers as well.

Here's what happend to us:
    In 2nd grade, DS knew that he could think 'better' than the other kids because of all the teacher-comments, and even in 2nd grade, he could tell that the comments the other kids made were 'rudamentary' by his self-standards. However, because he was slow at things like 'looking words up in a dictionary' and Math facts, he felt that there was something wrong with him.

I think he saw it as the 'Transitive Property of Stupid.'

In DS's mind:
    'If I think that kid over there is Stupid, and that kid can do an academic task much faster and more easily than I can, I must be really Very Stupid.

The other famous example comes from outraged teachers who 'can't believe that their classroom is below DS's readiness level' because he doesn't have the very best grades, or check his work and occasionally makes stupid mistakes.

The final example is the adult family member who doesn't think that they were/are gifted because their best friend in High School was smarter than they were. LOL! As if there could only be one gifted person in any given situation!

I guess we live in a society where talking about talents and aptitudes is so taboo, that we don't have a very nuanced vision of the various ways of being intelligent.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Whew! Thank goodness! I am new to this forum and in reading the posts I kept trying to figure out the lingo. I am fairly familiar with most psychological/educational terms and still didn't know what many things were...like SDP. Thought I had dropped a few IQ points myself! Nice to know it was ignorance and not stupidity. :-)

G
    G
    As an educator and future gifted educator I have found this particular discussion very informative and love seeing all of the acronyms that parents of gifted students have. It will help me as I continue to find my way in gifted education and learn what I want to focus on. Thanks for letting me browse your site!

C
    C
    Welcome, GTteacher12 - do come and join in the current discussions on the rest of the forum, too, and start some if you'd like to bounce ideas off us. We love talking here :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    L
    L
    Thank you for posting this. I kept seeing DD and DS and a number and had no idea what it meant. I am a newbie to the site but love it so far.

DS9 Gifted / ADHD
    S
    S
    I was familiar with the other parenting forum convention, where the number shows the birth order of the child. When I first found this forum I was flabbergasted by the number of families rivaling the Duggars laugh

K
    K
    Grinity...Thank you for the tutorial! Seriously, THANK YOU!!! It is so helpful to a newbie like myself. :-)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM