Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    crisc #11588 03/15/08 12:46 PM
    Originally Posted by crisc
    Welcome to the group--there should be a membership card or at least a secret handshake.

Isn't there a secret signal? It's the "head in hands/Holy crap!" eek signal, isn't it? (tee-hee-hee!)

And GT denial claims yet another victim!

GT denial sure got me. When I saw DS6's achievement test scores from his teacher-ID'd GT test, I had a major freak-out moment because I had thought he might hit 140 on some of them, maybe. The fact that he was pushing 160 on some scores--even surpassing 160 on a couple of subtests!--was almost more than I could believe.

"My son? Mine? But...but...I can't understand how I missed that. I mean he's bright, but...that's...that's...Um, okay, so now what?"

Wild ride! laugh

Kriston
    Kriston #11612 03/15/08 04:06 PM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Isn't there a secret signal? It's the "head in hands/Holy crap!" eek signal, isn't it? (tee-hee-hee!)

Now that I know what it is, I'll be able to keep a look out for the others!

At least now that we aren't worrying about early entrance, we can take a break to breathe.

And Kriston, I'm sure hoping you and a few other HSers are around when we start looking into that. smile by the way, when i first found this site, I thought HS was high school, and it was all incredibly amazing that all these really young kids were in high school! doh!

Sorry! I always try to include "home school" once in every thread if I think newbies are on it, because I would think HS was "high school," too. But laziness wins out in the end--HS is just so much shorter to write over and over! wink

Is there a better abbreviation, d'ya think?

I had to ask what DS and DD were, so I feel your pain! grin

As for my being around...well, I'm an addict, so I think it's safe to say that I'll be here! wink

Kriston
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    My first reaction was "oh crap." I emailed a friend whose son is HG+, and she responded jokingly with, "I'll go out and find a hallmark card that says "so sorry to hear you kid is profoundly gifted..." Also, kimck was immediately available with support (thanks!).

Congratulations on the great scores. It's hard to look at the scores and not to panic. I went through everything from "Wow!" to "OMG what are we going to do?"

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Also, seeing how many different kinds of HG kids there are was an eye-opener. I always thought profoundly gifted were those kids that you read about in the paper (going to college as kids). Although I have a really early reader, my kid does not seem like the idea of profoundly gifted I had in my head. And learning that homeschooling is not just for "out-there" families has been a real plus! wink

There are so many different ways of being HG+. I still don't know what to think about who PG kids are. I don't consider my son PG. I got up to using EG and even that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

I read a few replies about math coming to the game later on and I agree. Reading was what made us believe that DS5 (3 at that time) was gifted. He could do some math at that time, but it was pretty much in the "as expected" category. It may sound bad, but since both Dh and I are good in math, we expected him to be the same. When he turned 4 it became clear that he is more than quite smart in math and he really took off in last half a year. It looks like he learns something new every week. He just started to do long division with one digit divisor in his head and is clearly in the 4th grade math curriculum.

You may find yourself at this position a few years from now. It seems like math takes longer to take off. Sit back and watch. I am being taught this lesson by my DS3 right now. It was only last week when I said that he didn't care too much for math. This week he asks for word problems every evening during dinner time. Yesterday he proudly wrote a few addition and subtraction problems for us. For some reason mealtime time is our prime time to talk about math and science. I joke that we will homeschool during the mealtime only and will have the rest of the day free. LOL.

LMom
    LMom #11680 03/16/08 03:07 PM
    OP Offline
    Ok, now you're scaring me about the math. Long division at 5? Eek! I'm even more nervous because DS4 wants to do this computer game with 2nd grade math stuff, so i ordered an abacus to get started with math. Well at least i'm comfortable with an abacus... Luckily, DH is more math-brained than I am. And I did win the "math award" in 8th grade... (of course my tiny catholic school didn't teach algebra yet, so my award was pretty meaningless!)

Kriston #11681 03/16/08 03:09 PM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    As for my being around...well, I'm an addict, so I think it's safe to say that I'll be here! wink

Yay! And I hope acs is here too, because they have had success with their HG+ kid in school. It's comforting to see all the different choices yielding success stories.

Oh, I so agree! smile

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM