Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Any have a good recommendation for a beginners pottery wheel that actually works?

Last edited by crisc; 11/15/11 02:35 PM.

Crisc
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Originally Posted by crisc
    Any have a good recommendation for a beginners pottery wheel that actually works?

No, but we've experienced the nonworking ones.

Lol. Ditto

A
    A
    Originally Posted by epoh
    So, the holidays are rapidly approaching and I was curious if anyone has any great ideas for their kids?

DS7 is totally 100% obsessed with Legos and has been for years now. I am thinking of buying him a Snap Circuits set from Amazon... seems to fit with the building theme, but might teach him something (different) in the process. http://www.snapcircuits.net/

He also requested a Rubik's Cube! LoL

My daughters 7 and 9 have had this snap circuit game since they were 4 and 3. They love it and we have upgraded twice for more challenging projects. RadioShack now carries it.

Edda

P
    P
    We have only a laptop that is kind of hard for DD to use when she tries. I am thinking of getting a new computer that will be set up as comfortably as possible for her. I also want to get her some FUN games that will help her learn some keyboarding skills. Suggestions are most welcome - not only for the software but for the actual computer, keyboard, monitor, etc. I am not what you would call tech savvy in any way, shape or form...

Pemberley-how old is DD? maybe a tablet? or the new kindle fire, which is, I think 7" (my tablet is 10")...on my tablet at least, the keyboard feature is very satisfying, you can almost "feel" the individual keys (go to a store and try one out). and they are so small and light...I let DD8, use it in her new beanbag and I swear, the schoolwork gets done faster...plus, I love free apps instead of having to buy software wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    U
    U
    anyone have experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-Q-Ba...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1321796274&sr=1-1

or a rec for a different marble run? It's mainly for DS, who is almost 4, but I'm sure DD (7) will also play with it.

Originally Posted by crisc

No, but, my 2 cents...I sew, ALOT, and have several machines. I got DD a "toy" one (that really sews, but with a crummy chain stitch) when she was just 3 (the box said like 6+ probably)...she used it quite a bit, but it was pretty unsatisfying. After a few turns with one of mine, I was able to get her a Hello Kitty model (but NOT a toy, just a cute paint job) that is a 3/4 size. I got a super deal on it too, but would have spent the money anyway since she is far more satified with it, you know? In retrospect, I wish I would have skipped the "toy" one andgone straight to the real thing...so maybe you can do the same? Is it a size issue? or price? Craigslist, freecycle or if you maybe have a college or other kind of arty school that might be getting rid of some? I seem to remember that my dad MADE my mom the kind you kick yourself, if that's maybe an option? I just googled it, lots of options wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    U
    U
    Also looking for more recs for games for the two of them to play together that are also not maddening for an adult. So far we love Uno, Spot It, Blink, and to some extent Rummikub cards (a bit hard for the 3yo). For reference, the 3yo can play a vagely serviceable game of chess and sustain attention for it, but he's only at an early reader level so games with reading don't really work. He can read numbers, use dice, and count just fine.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    anyone have experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-Q-Ba...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1321796274&sr=1-1

or a rec for a different marble run? It's mainly for DS, who is almost 4, but I'm sure DD (7) will also play with it.

Ultramarina, we have the HABA wooden marble run set. They have been very well loved here, and played with for 7 years straight.

Like these:
    http://www.themarblerunshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=107

The wooden ones have the advantage that they combine well with any other wooden blocks you happen to have lying around the house, or indeed many other objects. I think they're expensive, but ultimately a more flexible toy because you're not limited to only the pieces you bought.

DeeDee

K
    K
    Wow, great ideas here!

DS6 wants the snap circuits too, I might have to add that to the list. Next week is his birthday and my Mom got him the Lego Ninjago game. We bought the Contraptions 200, 50 piece and catapult sets. Not sure which one will be for birthday and the others for Christmas.

We just had our school book fair and bought a bunch of books - he devoured the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book the first day. So we might get some more of those for him.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM