Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    also, depression does not seem the right word for DD to me. She eats well, sleeps well, and is active and enthusiastic. I would never describe her as "sad," but I would say she seems angry and low in self-esteem.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    also, depression does not seem the right word for DD to me. She eats well, sleeps well, and is active and enthusiastic. I would never describe her as "sad," but I would say she seems angry and low in self-esteem.

This one I'd let a professional sort out. Depression in children can look different than in adults. (In little boys, for instance, it can show as aggression or a variety of other behaviors.) Anxiety, too, comes in many flavors; I'm glad you are getting help in figuring out what's really going on.

DeeDee

G
    G
    Originally Posted by ultramarina

I filled out those rating scales as well, and I also thought DD would come out as depressed, mostly based on the frequency of tears. Her neuropsych evaluation came out with anxiety, not depression. The anxiety in our case seems to draw most directly from previously undiscovered learning disabilities. In retrospect, we first started seeing this aspect of the anxiety in second grade. Her personality seems "ripe" for developing the anxiety, with a generally negative affect and emotional states that appear quantized.

I'm doing my first parent intake with a cognitive behavioral therapist tomorrow. I chose someone who appears gifted himself, and has worked with anxiety, ADHD, and learning disabilities. I'm trying to interview a few, but I'm struggling to find info on the psychologists as the telephone gate keepers aren't really that useful.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Hey geofizz, I'd love it if you kept us updated on how it goes.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Another update: DD filled out the MASC and the CDI, with minor assistance from me when she didn't quite understand what was being asked. They have the scoresheets attached, so I scored her (on another sheet of paper!) I thought her scores might look high--after all, she answered she did not like herself very much, often did the wrong thing, often checked to make sure things were safe, etc. But they are not. She scored somewhat high on anhedonia and negative self-esteem and on harm avoidance, but in no case was she above the 65th%. Often she was dead-on average for her age and gender. It's possible I'm doing the scoring wrong, but I don't think so. It's pretty clearly explained.

Huh.

ETA: OKay, did some further research and had a more careful look at the scoring. By one cutoff she is right on the verge of qualifying as depressed; if you go by other, higher cutoffs used by some, she would not qualify. She definitely does not score as clinically anxious. I realize I am not a psychologist and that these are just two scales.

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/20/12 07:14 PM.
    G
    G
    My daughter's score sheets from me and done by her with the psychologist did not qualify as anxious. The self-esteem surveys come out low, but not too far below the low-normal range. The anxiety diagnosis came from observing her during the testing, including several things I do to help her cope with the anixiety without realizing it.

The intake appointment was really encouraging. I wanted to interview at least two, but frustratingly three other people haven't called me back! Anyways, we will likely go with this one. The initial weeks will focus on getting to know each other and teaching her breathing exercises, then CBT to retrain her responses to situations that have previously caused her anxiety.

My DD is older than yours. I don't know how young a child a therapist would do this kind of thing with, but it seems to have a positive track record for depression and anxiety. I suspect my DD's self-esteem will follow with the anxiety.
    Good luck finding a way forward to help your DD through this.

Last edited by geofizz; 02/20/12 08:11 PM.
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM