Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    How do I find a good neuropsych and what do I look for? Is this sort of thing usually covered by insurance? I guess it's probably time. *sigh* We have worried off and on about her since she was a small toddler. The thing is, I am just not sure if she is diagnosable with anything. She may just be HARD. Up to this point we seemed to be the only ones who felt there was a problem, so the comments from her teacher are making me take notice. She is functioning perfectly well in school despite this.

We found that it was helpful to ask our pediatrician for recommendations when our children were struggling - that's how we found our neuropsychologist. If you're in a much larger area than we are, you might also be able to find advice online or by networking among other parents (we have limited choices here, so networking was helpful but we don't have a lot of folks to choose from!).

I wouldn't worry about whether or not she's "diagnosable" - she seems to be struggling and you want to help by having more information about what's driving her behaviors - that's what's important. You might go through an eval and find out there is nothing to diagnose - that's a-ok! Or you might find out that there really is something up and that will be a point to start from and move forward from. In either case, you'll most likely learn a lot about your dd which will help, whether or not there is anything to diagnose. And, fwiw, we've had two or our children go through neuropscyh evals and in both cases, what we learned was entirely different from what we'd suspected, so we are very VERY glad we went through the eval process.

Best wishes,

polarbear

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Her pediatrician is not a great resource, perhaps, because she thinks DD is just bright and delightful and no problem at all. (She's never seen the behavior we see.) But I guess I can ask.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I do have a friend who is a child psych, but when I had a long conversation with her about DD, her opinion was that it was giftedness and nothing else. She also does not really believe in therapy for children under 10. (Interesting position for a child psych, but she is also a professor.)

D
    D
    She also does not really believe in therapy for children under 10. (Interesting position for a child psych, but she is also a professor.)

Does she do talk therapy? If so, then I'd agree. ("Tell me about your childhood." "Uh, this is my childhood.") Seriously, we found talk therapy to not be at all useful for DS.

However, there are lots of kinds of therapy that can be highly useful, and the elementary years kids are still laying down a lot of basic thinking processes--IMO it's the time to nip issues like anxiety in the bud, before kids get to be teenagers and everything is blown further out of proportion. Cognitive-behavior therapy is very good for this, and I'd say even a bright 6-year-old could use basic CBT strategies.

Our DS has also benefited from Applied Behavior Analysis, therapy targeted to giving him the skills he was missing due to his autism. Very beneficial, especially when done early in life.

DeeDee

I do have a friend who is a child psych, but when I had a long conversation with her about DD, her opinion was that it was giftedness and nothing else. She also does not really believe in therapy for children under 10. (Interesting position for a child psych, but she is also a professor.)

I think that many of the problems that child psychiatrists see involve dysfunction the entire family (poor coping skills) and are not just a child problem.

P
    P
    Her pediatrician is not a great resource, perhaps, because she thinks DD is just bright and delightful and no problem at all. (She's never seen the behavior we see.) But I guess I can ask.

Our pediatrician had also never seen the behaviors we were concerned about with our ds - in fact, the first time around in 2nd grade when we called for a referral he didn't require that we make an office visit to get the referral. What we did was to call (or fax) in a request explaining the behaviors we were concerned about, when/where they were happening, the causes that we could see of stress in ds' life (school issues), and how they were significantly impacting his life. We asked the dr for the type of professional he recommended we see and for names of the professionals he would suggest.

So it's worth a try at least even though the ped hasn't seen the behaviors.

polarbear

U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD has a ped visit scheduled and I'm going to ask for a referral. The hard part is that I don't really want DD to listen to this conversation.

I've taken some notes on DD to help me clarify my concerns. I'm just going to post them in here in case anyone has thoughts. The three things I consider possibilities are ADHD, ASD, or anxiety (or more than one), but nothing ever seems quite right from my layman's perspective.

Concersn:

very defensive, victim mentality
    argumentative, reflexively negative
    rude in tone
    obsessed with accuracy; corrects others
    high anxiety�upset by things like smoke alarms, unexplained sounds, others� injuries, mentions of bad topics; worries about death, war, disease, natural disasters
    some immature social behavior; seems to act more like a boy in the grade below her; occasional failure to read social cues
    very literal, does not like to be teased even when it�s friendly, dislikes exaggeration
    nonsense talk and inappropriate laughter when excited
    highly emotional, cries easily, highly sensitive to sad stories or themes
    easily overstimulated
    has nervous habits such as nose picking, throat clearing
    loves spinning, swinging, scary rides
    mild motor clumsiness
    becomes enraged easily and is unable to respond rationally or think clearly in that state�escalates small things into huge ones. When angry seems very unaware of what others are thinking or feeling, though when calm shows excellent comprehension of this.

Things that point against a diagnosis in my mind:

no obsessions
    no issues with pretend play
    holds a conversation very well
    highly imaginative and artistic, excellent fine motor skills
    does very well in school�no behavior problems
    no issues with attention to work�very long attention span
    not physically hyperactive
    has many friends
    interests (chess, birding, drawing, books) are mature and change often
    able to understand what friends may be thinking or feeling
    mature reading comprehension
    even skill profile, processes fast

Other:
    says she dislikes being a child
    highly independent
    high degree of internal motivation
    says she is bad and that she doesn�t like herself
    says it is hard to behave well even though she really wants to

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/18/12 01:56 PM.
    M
    M
    Except for the high anxiety and even skill profile, you've described my DD8 almost perfectly. She was diagnosed with SPD, which explains most of her behavior. We're in the process of trying to figure out if the rest of her behavior and uneven test scores (from below to way above grade level) are just part of her quirks, or if they're something else.

Except for 'does very well in school - no behavior problems' (DS has lots of behavior problems) and 'has many friends', your list sounds exactly like my son. He was originally diagnosed with ADHD, but DH and I are skeptical of that now and are planning on having a neuropsych eval done.

Last edited by epoh; 01/18/12 02:22 PM.

~amy
    D
    D
    DD has a ped visit scheduled and I'm going to ask for a referral. The hard part is that I don't really want DD to listen to this conversation.

You can offer the ped. the list you've given here, in writing-- so your DD is not overhearing a list of faults. I'd even expand on them, giving examples. This is a very good sort of thing to keep in writing, so that when you get the referral and the eval is long and complicated you don't lose track of any information.

I have over time gotten less cautious about talking about these issues in front of my DS. I am careful about how I say them-- choosing "DS worries a lot about small things, and that concerns me" rather than "DS is too anxious," where the latter wording might imply "something wrong with him."

I think it is actually helpful for DS to hear me say to a doc, "I think this is a problem for him, and I'd like your help in solving it"-- it gives him the perspective that what's going on now is not forever, and that problems can be solved with the right help, and it's OK to ask a professional for help. I want him to know these things, so I model it.

IThe three things I consider possibilities are ADHD, ASD, or anxiety (or more than one), but nothing ever seems quite right from my layman's perspective.

Many items on your list, taken together, do raise the possibility of ASD/Asperger's. Keep in mind that a person doesn't have to have every symptom on the list to be diagnosable, just a cluster of them. Gifted kids usually compensate like crazy, girls especially often try to sleuth out social cues so they'll fit in, so they are harder to diagnose. I think you're right to ask for a referral-- let the best neuropsych you can find sort it out.

Kudos to you for pursuing answers. No matter what, I think having answers is better than not, because I trust informed decisions.

DeeDee

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM